Occupancy Limit

wjmu...@gmail.com

Jul 9, 2022, 9:34:03 AM7/9/22
to DC Accessory Apartments Forum
I'm curious about the occupancy limit for a Basement Accessory Dwelling zone R-1-B.

I have read the occupancy limit per the ADU D.C. Homeowner’s Manual (First Edition September 2020) is not to exceed three.

Does that apply to children or persons under age 18?
What if I rent the ADU to a family of three and one becomes pregnant?

Thanks,
Bill

ADU D.C. Homeowner’s Manual
First Edition September 2020

Glossary of Terms & Definitions (pg 39)
Accessory apartment: A dwelling unit (also known as Accessory Dwelling Unit) that is secondary to the principal single household dwelling unit in terms of gross floor area, intensity of use, and phys¬ical character, but which has kitchen and bath facilities separate from the principal dwelling and may have a separate entrance.2 Accessory apartments are allowed in a principal dwelling or an accessory dwelling in R zones (except the R-19 and R-20), subject to certain conditions. Either the principal dwelling or accessory apart¬ment unit must be owner-occupied for the duration of the accessory apartment use. Also, the total number of persons that can occupy the accessory apartment must not exceed three.3

3 DC Office of Zoning (2020), “Accessory Dwelling Units.”

The above link in the manual is broken.

Ileana Schinder, PLLC

Jul 9, 2022, 10:30:35 AM7/9/22
to wjmu...@gmail.com, DC Accessory Apartments Forum
Truth be told, noone checks. So i think you are good.

Pardon per le tpyo. Sent from a iphone.