Live-in ADU, AirBnB main home

Talayah Jackson

Aug 31, 2023, 12:09:44 AM8/31/23
to ad...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

I participated in a short-term rental webinar this week hosted by the DC Department of Licensing and Consumer Protection (DLCP). I planned to live in my ADU and convert my main home into a short-term rental. On the webinar, I was told that I couldn't do that. Per DLCP staff, I have to live in my main home, but can AirBnB my ADU. They cited a zoning regulation and are supposed to send it to me.

Does anyone know what requirement they're referring to? Or has anyone built an ADU, lived in it, and rented out their primary house as a short-term rental?

Ileana Schinder

Aug 31, 2023, 11:11:59 AM8/31/23
to Talayah Jackson, ad...@googlegroups.com
Hi Talayah,
How are you? Based on the current code, as far as you are occupying ONE property (the ADU or the main house) you are complying with the rules.
I looked into short term rental regulations and there is no specification of which dwelling (or portion of a dwelling) the homeowner must occupy as far as s/he stays in the property.
Let me know if you want to reach out to someone at DLCP for clarification and I'll try to find a person to explain this in detail.
Cheers
ile

PS: Wait, don't go... My book "Housing for Humans" is available!

ileana schinder, Architect
AIA, LEED AP BD+C

i...@ileanaschinder.com
o: 202-381-7463 / c: 202-431-6760

http://www.ileanaschinder.com

Talayah Jackson

Aug 31, 2023, 6:41:05 PM8/31/23
to Ileana Schinder, ad...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ileana,

I'm doing okay, hope you're well. Thanks so much for responding. During the webinar, they didn't cite a specific regulation or code, only their "interpretation" of guidance issued by Zoning. It seems anti-democratic to tell someone where they can live on their own property.

If you don't mind, could you reach out to someone at DLCP for clarification?

Thank you!
Talayah