ZONING R-1-A - remodeling project - Sprinkler/HVAC?

dixonglo...@gmail.com

Dec 29, 2023, 8:24:29 PM12/29/23
to DC Accessory Apartments Forum

I am seeking to add a second story to my home and create a basement ADU.  I am writing for help o confirm the sprinkler and HVAC requirements for the ADU.  It is understood that second story addition to the main house will not require a sprinkler system.   I am trying to avoid the sprinkler system requirement due to costs of civil works for a dedicated sprinkler line.  It is my understanding DC will not allow a NFPA 13D system with an automatic shutoff (TYCO RSV -1 see attachment) valve which runs on a main water line.

The home has an existing in-law suite in the basement with a wet bar that I will upgrade to a full kitchen.  The in-law suite has its own entrance and code compliant window well exit in the bedroom.  The house has one HVAC system and one electric meter.   The HVAC system is located in a vestibule and it is accessible to both units.  The electric panel is in the garage.

It is my understanding that I don’t need a sprinkler system but I do need to assure a one-hour fire rated assembly between the units (main house and ADU) which primarily will target the ceiling assembly and insuring the proper fire blockings in the walls. The ceiling is currently 7.5 ft high

 I need to upgrade the current HVAC system as part of the project.  When I upgrade the HVAC, I can create a two-thermostat zoned system. The zoned system would require modification of the duct system to include a bypass, zone dampers and a zone control board.  Once the zoned system has been set up, the dampers will be controlled by the zone board and the thermostats.  When one of the zones need more cooling or heat, the dampers are regulated to send what is needed to the zone that is calling for it.  My second alternative is to install a ductless mini split system for the basement ADU.

tyco 13D valve TFP980_07_2016.pdf

alexander dixon

Dec 29, 2023, 8:33:00 PM12/29/23
to DC Accessory Apartments Forum
typo corrected

I am seeking to add a second story to my home and create a basement ADU.  I am writing for help to confirm the sprinkler and HVAC requirements for the ADU.  It is understood that the second story addition to the main house will not require a sprinkler system.   I am trying to avoid the sprinkler system requirement due to costs of civil works for a dedicated sprinkler line.  It is my understanding DC will not allow a NFPA 13D system with an automatic shutoff (TYCO RSV -1 see attachment) valve which runs on a main water line.

The home has an existing in-law suite in the basement with a wet bar that I will upgrade to a full kitchen.  The in-law suite has its own entrance and code compliant window well exit in the bedroom.  The house has one HVAC system and one electric meter.   The HVAC system is located in a vestibule and it is accessible to both units.  The electric panel is in the garage.

It is my understanding that I don’t need a sprinkler system but I do need to assure a one-hour fire rated assembly between the units (main house and ADU) which primarily will target the ceiling assembly and ensure the proper fire blockings in the walls. The ceiling is currently 7.5 ft high

 I need to upgrade the current HVAC system as part of the project.  When I upgrade the HVAC, I can create a two-thermostat zoned system. The zoned system would require modification of the duct system to include a bypass, zone dampers and a zone control board.  Once the zoned system has been set up, the dampers will be controlled by the zone board and the thermostats.  When one of the zones needs more cooling or heat, the dampers are regulated to send what is needed to the zone that is calling for it.  My second alternative is to install a ductless mini split system for the basement ADU.

Cheryl Cort

Jan 1, 2024, 8:46:43 AMJan 1
to alexander dixon, DC Accessory Apartments Forum
An architect is the best person to answer. But is you home attached to another dwelling or is it free standing?  That makes a difference for building code.

_____________________________

Cheryl Cort (she/her)

Policy Director

Coalition for Smarter Growth

Mobile: 202-251-7516

(e) che...@smartergrowth.net www.smartergrowth.net

Join me on Bluesky @cherylcort.bsky.social

alexander dixon

Jan 1, 2024, 9:08:07 AMJan 1
to Cheryl Cort, DC Accessory Apartments Forum
It is free standing.