Legalizing ADU's in Cities and Counties and in Maryland

Greg Cantori

Oct 26, 2021, 11:24:05 AM10/26/21
to DC Accessory Apartments Forum
Heads up, everyone! ACTION ITEM - Can you reply here or send me your email to gcan...@gmail.com if you can help us?! We are forming a Maryland Coalition of ADU advocates this winter!

After advocating and attending hearings and meetings for over a year we got Annapolis to legalize ADU's without parking requirements, allowing Short Term Rentals, and only a max of 850 sq feet. There will be a 90 day amnesty period to get units off the books into the system. There is an owner-occupancy requirement.... but it's a great start after it looked like the new ADU rules would die a slow poison pill-filled death.

Frederick also has new rules but is highly restrictive.

We (a hardy band of veteran advocates and testifiers)  are now moving onto Anne Arundel County with a more progressive bill and Maryland that will include tiny homes on wheels as bonafide ADU's (as some areas in California have allowed and encouraged)

The key isn't just permitting ADU's as we know - It's PROMOTING them big time with grants, lower-income homeowner loans, and navigators and facilitators to make this housing type easy and ubiquitous.

ACTION ITEM - Can you send me your email to gcan...@gmail.com if you can help us?!

Ileana Schinder

Oct 26, 2021, 11:28:28 AM10/26/21
to Greg Cantori, DC Accessory Apartments Forum
Yes Greg!
sign me up...
ile

PS: Wait, don't go... My book "Housing for Humans" is available online but If you want your fav local bookstore to have it, put us in touch. Thanks!

ileana schinder, Architect
AIA, LEED AP BD+C

i...@ileanaschinder.com
o: 202-381-7463 / c: 202-431-6760