Alley dwelling possible in RA-2?

Megan Zisser Block

Aug 8, 2023, 8:16:21 PM8/8/23
to ad...@googlegroups.com, Alex Block
We are interested in an alley dwelling on our RA-2 lot and are at the stage of determining if it's even feasible. We have an existing garage but it would need to be mostly rebuilt and expanded. Since we're in RA-2, the ADU guidance is fuzzy as it applies to our zoning - and the rules on what kind of accessory structures can be built are clear as mud.

Has anyone gone through this before or have any guidance?

Thanks,
Megan and Alex Block

Ileana Schinder

Aug 9, 2023, 8:53:38 AM8/9/23
to Megan Zisser Block, ad...@googlegroups.com, Alex Block
Hi Megan,
how are you? My answer to all ADUs in Washington DC is "yes, but..." In Washington DC you have the right to develop a secondary unit in your property. Based on the zone (R, RF, RA, etc) this secondary unit has a particular name. Still, technically all buildings are (or have the potential to be) identical. The cost of construction, the impact on the existing building and site will be the main limits you have when deciding where and how to develop the secondary unit.
I am happy to schedule a call to guide you on the criteria you want to follow for your adu. We can talk about budget, scope and site... and yes, "fuzzy zoning" as well (but it's not that fuzzy, honestly).
Looking forward to hearing from you,
ile

PS: Wait, don't go... My book "Housing for Humans" is available!

ileana schinder, Architect
AIA, LEED AP BD+C

i...@ileanaschinder.com
o: 202-381-7463 / c: 202-431-6760

http://www.ileanaschinder.com

Jeffrey Levine

Sep 6, 2023, 2:27:46 PM9/6/23
to ad...@googlegroups.com
This recent article from the NYT may be of interest to the members of the forum

Jeff Levine
Screen Shot 2020-12-06 at 9.20.23 AM.png