Library request

Ileana Schinder

Oct 26, 2021, 2:48:21 PM10/26/21
to DC Accessory Apartments Forum
Dear all,
This group has been an amazing network of support and encouragement to put pen to paper for my book "Housing for Humans".
Now, I would love local public libraries to carry a copy but I can only do it with your help. I noticed that libraries only purchase books after a significant volume of people ASK for it. For example, DCPL has a link for "Suggest a Title", the same goes for Montgomery County, Arlington, Alexandria, etc.
So, if you would like the physical book to be available to local readers -ebooks are in the catalog already-, feel free to suggest the title to your local library branch. I am always happy to talk to libraries and discuss why this book is a good addition to their collection.
Thank you for your help!
ile

--
PS: Wait, don't go... My book "Housing for Humans" is available online but If you want your fav local bookstore to have it, put us in touch. Thanks!

ileana schinder, Architect
AIA, LEED AP BD+C

i...@ileanaschinder.com
o: 202-381-7463 / c: 202-431-6760

http://www.ileanaschinder.com

Jim P

Oct 27, 2021, 2:36:39 PM10/27/21
to Ileana Schinder, DC Accessory Apartments Forum

Hi everyone. I’ve got questions about the DC requirement that property owner (I’m RF-1) must reside in either main house or (my planned free standing) ADU. I suspect this must be true at initial permitting and initial move-in. But for how long after must the owner live there?? Folks can’t be expected to tear down or leave vacant an ADU if owner moves away, dies, or sells. Right?   Thanks

PS Came up with interesting design solution: building on top of my current 4 parking spaces. First floor is part garage, for just 2 cars, part residential. 2nd floor obviously entirely residential. Mostly utilizes space above current parking and only reduces usable back yard area slightly.

I’ve read the statute and I realize the law doesn’t give any time clarification.  So I’m looking for specific experience, or more likely  for educated guesses on this.

Thanks much

Jim P

JEAN POITEVIEN

Oct 27, 2021, 3:40:13 PM10/27/21
to Jim P, Ileana Schinder, DC Accessory Apartments Forum
Hi Jim,

If you are in an RF-1, it is my understanding that you will need to apply for a CO (Certificate of Occupancy), since ADUs "by right" are only allowed in "R" zones.

If anyone has any additional information, please chime in. Jean

If you enjoyed the experience, please leave us a review on Google (https://g.page/r/Ce-6FMZDVOwFEA0/review) with your comments.

Jean Poitevien
BBL PROCESSORS
Part of the AFREM SERVICES Network
PO Box 9585
Washington DC 20016
(D) 202-747-4181
(E) jean.po...@bblprocessors.com
Website: www.bblprocessors.com

Oct 27, 2021, 3:59:48 PM10/27/21
to JEAN POITEVIEN, Jim P, Ileana Schinder, DC Accessory Apartments Forum
Jim, why not just go for full 2unit dwelling if you are in an RF-1?  It probably will be more cumbersome but then you'll be able to move out and have two units that you can rent out instead of having just an ADU.   Food for thought...

****I dont know the answer to your statute of limitations question.  sorry.