Drafter?

Raha Wala

Feb 16, 2022, 9:30:27 AM2/16/22
to to: DC Accessory Apartments Forum
Hi there:

I hope this is an appropriate inquiry for this forum, but I apologize if not. I'm looking for a good drafter/house planner who can render conceptual house plans to drawings for permit. Not necessarily looking for an architect per se, since I'm trying to go from concept to permit application-ready drawings relatively quickly and have a good sense of what I want to do. Would love any recommendations if you have one. This is for a home renovation in DC.

Thank you!

-Raha

Charlie Perla

Feb 16, 2022, 9:51:27 AM2/16/22
to Raha Wala, to: DC Accessory Apartments Forum

Raha

I know that I am going to get in trouble with this response, but here it is:

Asking for a “ drafter/ house planner” to prepare Construction Documents to apply for a building permit is kind a like asking a nurse to perform open heart surgery.

Charles Perla, AIA

Principal

DMS / Perla

1854 Patton Terrace

Mc Lean, VA  22101

(202) 270 5029

Ileana Schinder

Feb 16, 2022, 10:39:47 AM2/16/22
to Raha Wala, to: DC Accessory Apartments Forum
hi Raha,
there are plenty of draft people in town with the capabilities of taking sketches to real permit drawings. Before you engage one make sure you check their credentials and references. Also, make sure they understand the complexity of filing and following up with permit drawings for construction.
And yes, this forum welcomes ALL questions from everyone, don't be shy! :)
Hugs
ileana

PS: Wait, don't go... My book "Housing for Humans" is available online but If you want your fav local bookstore to have it, put us in touch. Thanks!

ileana schinder, Architect
AIA, LEED AP BD+C

i...@ileanaschinder.com
o: 202-381-7463 / c: 202-431-6760

http://www.ileanaschinder.com

Jim P

Mar 4, 2022, 10:47:42 AM3/4/22
to DC Accessory Apartments Forum, Ileana Schinder, Hunter Smith, Cheryl Cort, Liz Scheier
Hi all.

Sorry, I should know this, but want to make sure ...

In Rf-1, a 2nd dwelling unit is allowed by right.
If the second dwelling unit is in a separate structure - and if owner is no longer a resident (in either structure), are the rental/usage rules the same as for an ADU?   is it then forbidden for the 2nd dwelling unit to be rented or used as a second dwelling unit?

Thanks much

Jim P

cheryl cort

Mar 5, 2022, 8:49:05 AM3/5/22
to DC Accessory Apartments Forum
In the RF-1 zone, the use permits 2 principal dwellings, both of which can be rented or sold. An accessory apartment (or ADU) is permitted in the R zones. In R zones, the owner much live on the property. So different rules for RF vs. R zones.

See our ADU manual zoning chapter 4 for more explanation.