DC Water main service size increase

Iden Kamyar

Oct 28, 2021, 5:18:57 PM10/28/21
to DC Accessory Apartments Forum
Has anyone worked with any utility plumbing company to increase the main water size from the street to the meter? When I pulled permits to make my basement a separate unit, DCRA referred my plans to DC Water and DC water issued me a permit and plans and a certificate of service to increase the main water line from 1 inch to 1.5 inch (due to the requirement to install water sprinklers). I am looking for someone who has done this and can can help me figure out what the cost would be and how I can find companies who can do it. A lot of licensed plumbing companies I have been calling do not want to do this type of job.

Iden Kamyar

Nov 2, 2021, 2:16:57 PM11/2/21
to DC Accessory Apartments Forum
I am a little concerned now if I am the only one being asked to increase the main water service line. If anyone in this forum has been asked to do this or has done it please let me know. I am not able to find a contractor who is willing to do the work.

On Thu, Oct 28, 2021 at 5:18 PM Iden Kamyar <iden....@gmail.com> wrote:
Has anyone worked with any utility plumbing company to increase the main water size from the street to the meter? When I pulled permits to make my basement a separate unit, DCRA referred my plans to DC Water and DC water issued me a permit and plans and a certificate of service to increase the main water line from 1 inch to 1.5 inch (due to the requirement to install water sprinklers). I am looking for someone who has done this and can can help me figure out what the cost would be and how I can find companies who can do it. A lot of licensed plumbing companies I have been calling do not want to do this type of job.

st...@fotiuarchitects.com

Nov 2, 2021, 3:50:14 PM11/2/21
to DC Accessory Apartments Forum
Hello Iden,
DC Water looks at the Water Supply Fixture Units (total water demand in the house) to determine the size of the water line and meter. The introduction of sprinklers often triggers the need to increase the service line and meter, if the intent is for both domestic and fire services to function simultaneously. However, you can propose the installation of a solenoid valve that shuts off the domestic service in the event that the sprinklers are activated. If the sprinklers are the only new plumbing demand being added, then you should be able to keep the existing domestic service line and meter. However, if additional fixtures are being added, then the water service line and meter may still need to increase in size to meet the domestic demand.

While the solenoid valve may address your question about increasing the service line, I'm surprised that DC Water is not requiring you to install a separate fire service line that splits from the domestic service line, after the meter but before the curb stop (service shutoff in public space). In my experience, DC Water requires this parallel line when sprinklers are introduced, so they can shut off your domestic water in the event of nonpayment, without shutting off the sprinklers too. So, while you may avoid increasing the size of your domestic service line and meter, I believe you will be required to install a separate fire service.

As for your question about contractors, I'm not surprised that plumbing contractors don't want to do this work, because it involves filing for a DDOT public space permit, performing excavation, and usually rebuilding portions of the public street and sidewalk. These tasks involve trades/skills that plumbing contractors may not possess. I typically see general contractors performing the water line upgrades and/or fire service line installations, as they can coordinate the various trades involved, or even self-perform some of the work.

I hope this helps,

Steve Fotiu, AIA NCARB

Daniel Blair

Nov 4, 2021, 6:04:41 PM11/4/21
to Iden Kamyar, DC Accessory Apartments Forum
Iden,

Replacement of the water line is typical for an extensive renovation. From my experience, I have found it is best to have DC Water do this work. They charge for the amount of line that is on your property, the portion of the line that is in public space is their responsibility. In contrast, a contractor will charge you for the entire run.

DC Water will charge less + is typically able to replace the line in a day. The biggest headache is getting on their schedule.

Daniel Blair, architect

On Nov 2, 2021, at 2:16 PM, Iden Kamyar <iden....@gmail.com> wrote:

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "DC Accessory Apartments Forum" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/adudc/CAM03MTopr1DE8qUh%3DiSCvw5b%3DFn2OvAsm%2Bxd8cBbBfn2BPCbcw%40mail.gmail.com.