DCRA Inspection Question

Rob Cantu

Jan 10, 2019, 11:23:34 AM1/10/19
to DC Accessory Apartments Forum
Good morning ADU Community,

I have a quick question and wanted to get your feedback.

I recently renovated my basement into a two bedroom apartment (1,050 sq feet).  The apartment has it's own entrance and is fully up to code (previously an unfinished basement and garage).  The inspector came by after I got my 1 family BBL and told me he needed to inspect the rest of my house.  I told him I"m not doing a two family license and the apartment has it's own entrance, so I don't expect to interact with the tenants much.

He stated that he had to check the smoke alarms for the rest of the house and that I needed to bring the rest of the house up to code for this (I have NEST smoke alarms in every bedroom in the basement apartment, but I only have them in on every floor in the rest of my town house.  He also told me I should get a BBL for a 1 family + suite license.  Does this make sense to you?  A one family + suite license isn't even an option on the DCRA website.

I should also mention that my inspection date was scheduled for the 8th, he came on the 7th.

For Reference:

Rob

JEAN POITEVIEN

Jan 10, 2019, 12:20:36 PM1/10/19
to DC Accessory Apartments Forum, Rob Cantu
Hi Rob,

It has been my experience that they are required to check both units (the ADU & main house) for smoke detectors.

You are correct, currently there is no option for a One Family Rental + Suite. I usually inform the inspector prior to the inspection that they are inspecting an accessory dwelling.

Hope this info helps. Jean

Jean Poitevien
BBL PROCESSORS
Part of the AFREM SERVICES Network
PO Box 9585
Washington DC 20016
DISCLAIMER: The information transmitted is intended solely for the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.

NOTE:  BBL PROCESSORS or the AFREM SERVICES Network are not affiliated with any District of Columbia or State of Maryland government agencies. We are a licensing processing and management company assisting business and rental property owners in obtaining and renewing their BBL (Basic Business License) or Maryland Rental License.

che...@smartergrowth.net

Jan 11, 2019, 11:24:32 AM1/11/19
to DC Accessory Apartments Forum
Rob - RE: BBL for ADUs in the R zone:

We have specifically raised the issue that an ADU is missing from the forms for one or two family dwelling BBL forms. If you are having a problem with this, call this BBL supervisor:

Harriett Broadie, head of DCRA business licensing. She said to call her personally with any homeowner’s concerns about BBLs as they finalize a new policy.

Harriett Broadie, T. (202) 442-4578, E. Harriett...@dc.gov

She expects a quick resolution but in the interim, she is happy to personally help you with your business license.

See more info. about the issue here in my post: "Resolving the Catch 22 of BBL for ADUs."

On Thursday, January 10, 2019 at 12:20:36 PM UTC-5, JEAN POITEVIEN wrote:
[...]

Hunter Smith

Feb 8, 2022, 4:59:00 PM2/8/22
to JEAN POITEVIEN, DC Accessory Apartments Forum, Rob Cantu
Hi:

I just wanted to follow-up on the below thread.  Is it still the case that to get a business license to rent an ADU, you have to have your entire property inspected (including the main building that will not be rented out?).

We have minor code violations in our main house that have been here since we purchased the house and in some cases would be difficult to fix (e.g. four interior steps without a handrail).  It seems odd that these should prevent us from renting our entirely new and code-compliant ADU, when the the renter would never come into our house.

Hunter

Ileana Schinder

Feb 9, 2022, 8:49:01 AM2/9/22
to Hunter Smith, JEAN POITEVIEN, DC Accessory Apartments Forum, Rob Cantu
Hi Hunter,
In general DCRA only looks for life safety stuff (i.e. smoke detectors). If it's something like a handrail of a stair you can always file for an exception or put a simple temporary fix.
I hope this helps
ileana, the architect

--
PS: Wait, don't go... My book "Housing for Humans" is available online but If you want your fav local bookstore to have it, put us in touch. Thanks!

ileana schinder, Architect
AIA, LEED AP BD+C

i...@ileanaschinder.com
o: 202-381-7463 / c: 202-431-6760