6/9-11: Net Zero Energy AFFORDABLE ADU designs exhibited at HUD Innovative Housing Showcase

Cheryl Cort

Jun 7, 2023, 1:46:39 PM6/7/23
to DC Accessory Apartments Forum
FYI - interesting housing showcase at the mall this weekend, featuring some ADUs.

From: Mark Isaacs <ma...@wonderwindow.net>
Date: June 6, 2023 at 4:38:24 PM EDT
To: act...@smartergrowth.net
Subject: Net Zero Energy AFFORDABLE ADU designs exhibited at HUD Innovative Housing Showcase June 9-11

The HUD Innovative Housing Showcase is on the National Mall, between Madison and Jeff, and 7th and 4th Streets.

I will be exhibiting as one of the DOE IMPEL+ Innovators at the HUD Innovative Showcase June 9-11, and hoping you can stop by to see our designs for several Net Zero Energy ADUs, along with the AFFORDABLE cost to build them by DIYers and Habitat chapters, using materials sourced mostly from big box home stores.

I will also be displaying an R7 window in an R21 wall, each of these effective, whole window + wall thermal resistances DOUBLING that of conventional construction at LESS FIRST COST.

We have made 300 windows in our Makers Workshop paying Living Wages to disadvantaged, at-risk teen and young adult makers at our local Boys and Girls Club.  One of our team was Mississippi Youth of the Year for the Club and is now competing in the Regional competition in Atlanta.

I would value your feedback and counseling on next steps to see if such an approach to community development makes sense in DC with local partners such as Community Development Corporations to build housing security and greater wealth where its needed most in DC neighborhoods.

The HUD Innovative Housing Showcase is on the National Mall, between Madison and Jeff, and 7th and 4th Streets.

I take it that Friday 9am-5pm will be better for you than the weekend.
Email me before the show here if you think you will be able to come by.
Text me at 228 363 2529 days of the show.

Hope to see you there!

THANKS!
Mark Isaacs, CEO/Founder, WonderWindow, GS Research LLC

Cheryl Cort (she/her)

Policy Director

Coalition for Smarter Growth

Mobile: 202-251-7516