Condo conversion resources or advice? To make an addl dwelling unit feasible

Brandt Witt

Jul 29, 2023, 9:08:17 AM7/29/23
to DC Accessory Apartments Forum
Good morning all,

Could anyone please recommend any resources about condo conversion, or individuals to speak with who have done it with their own properties before or who do these conversions in their professional capacities?

Our scenario is we are exploring adding an additional dwelling unit to our home. A condo conversion would make the project pencil out better. I’d like to confirm additional construction scope requirements beyond what’s required of a 2-unit apartment and also additional non-technical requirements (legal etc) and steps.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!

Best,
Brandt

Ileana Schinder

Jul 29, 2023, 2:37:03 PM7/29/23
to Brandt Witt, DC Accessory Apartments Forum
Hi Brandt,
how are you? From a construction perspective, a condo conversion and an ADU are extremely similar. As in, you are creating 2 dwellings out of 1 property. All over the world this is a normal thing but under current zoning standards, in the USA there's a re-definition on what to call multiple dwellings within one lot.
Once your urgan zone is defined, you can see if you want both units to remain under the same ownership (i.e.: house + ADU) or if you prefer each unit to be its own "thing" (like a mini condo or apartment building). Funny thing is, it's cost the same to build, the building will be identical but it will be called different names based on its location.
Feel free to reach out directly if you want to discuss details on how to proceed.
All the best,
ile

PS: Wait, don't go... My book "Housing for Humans" is available!

ileana schinder, Architect
AIA, LEED AP BD+C

i...@ileanaschinder.com
o: 202-381-7463 / c: 202-431-6760