Request for Expert Consultation on Property Bedroom Classification in DC

biniam berhe

Jul 24, 2023, 3:48:20 PM7/24/23
to DC Accessory Apartments Forum
Hello,

I trust this email finds you well. I am writing to request your expert guidance on a property classification matter concerning a unit in Washington DC, located in a four-unit brick building. Specifically, I am facing a challenge in determining whether the unit should be classified as a one-bedroom or a two-bedroom.

To provide you with some context, this unit is situated on the ground floor of the building. An initial bedroom already existed in this unit, but we have recently converted the back porch into an additional room. This new room is enclosed and fitted out with all the necessary features to potentially qualify it as a bedroom.

The conundrum arises due to the positioning of the original room, which now sits between the newly established room and the bathroom. Although this room is equipped with a window and a door, its door does not open directly to the outside but rather leads into the adjacent newly established room.

Given these circumstances, I am unsure whether the central room can still be considered a bedroom according to the latest regulations. I would appreciate your insights into the contemporary rules governing the definition of a bedroom. Specifically, can the unit be classified as a two-bedroom, or would it be more accurately defined as a one-bedroom with a den?

Furthermore, I would be grateful if you could advise on the appropriate entity or authority responsible for this bedroom classification. Does the fact that the door and window of the middle room lead to another room rather than to the outside preclude it from being considered a bedroom?

I trust that this description provides a clear picture of the unit's current layout. Your professional judgement on this matter would be highly valued, especially if you have encountered similar scenarios previously.

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

Best regards,

Ileana Schinder, PLLC

Jul 24, 2023, 4:07:12 PM7/24/23
to biniam berhe, DC Accessory Apartments Forum
Hi Biniham,
Itbis NOT a requirement of the building code to provide a door to the exterior from a bedroom. You do need an egress window, 70sqft, (7’-0” min on one side) smoke detector and fixed space conditioning. That’s it. You do NOT need a closet.
If both bedrooms comply with all requirements, you have 2 bedrooms.
I hope this helps,
Ile

Pardon per le tpyo. Sent from a iphone.

On Jul 24, 2023, at 3:48 PM, biniam berhe <biniam...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello,

biniam berhe

Jul 24, 2023, 5:01:51 PM7/24/23
to Ileana Schinder, PLLC, DC Accessory Apartments Forum
I appreciate your prompt response to my previous email. I'd like to
further explore the specifics concerning the egress of the middle
room.

At present, both the door and the window of this room do not provide
direct access to the outside. The window opens into the newly added
room which was previously a porch, while the door leads to the kitchen
and living room area. I am uncertain whether this arrangement fulfills
the egress requirements for a bedroom.

Could you please elaborate on the importance and purpose of egress in
the context of room classification? How does it impact the designation
of a room as a bedroom if both the window and door do not provide
direct exterior access but rather lead to other interior spaces?

Your guidance and professional opinion will be greatly appreciated as
we navigate this situation.

Thank you once again for your assistance.

With deep gratitude,
Biniam

Written with Compose.ai

Ileana Schinder, PLLC

Jul 24, 2023, 6:17:31 PM7/24/23
to biniam berhe, DC Accessory Apartments Forum
If the middle room doesnt have a window to the outside, it is not a bedroom so none if the other requirements apply.
The requirement of direct window to the outside has several benefits: access to light and air, and access to the outside in case of an emergency. Egress “thru” other rooms is not allowed for bedrooms.
So, yeah: no window, no bedroom.
I hope this helps,
Ile

Pardon per le tpyo. Sent from a iphone.

> On Jul 24, 2023, at 5:01 PM, biniam berhe <biniam...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I appreciate your prompt response to my previous email. I'd like to

biniam berhe

Jul 24, 2023, 6:41:37 PM7/24/23
to Ileana Schinder, PLLC, DC Accessory Apartments Forum
I can install a window in the middle room, but since it is a row house multi-family property, the space between the two houses is very narrow. While it's enough for a person to stand in the middle, it is not a large space. The space between the row houses okay?
--
With deep gratitude,

Kevin Horgan

Jul 24, 2023, 7:30:55 PM7/24/23
to biniam berhe, Ileana Schinder, PLLC, DC Accessory Apartments Forum
What are the exact dimensions of the space between your window and the property line (adjacent building)? I doubt an architect can answer your question without knowing the exact dimensions.

District Properties

Jul 24, 2023, 7:50:38 PM7/24/23
to biniam berhe, Ileana Schinder, PLLC, DC Accessory Apartments Forum
Hello Biniam,

I’ve recently dealt with this exact issue with a client that purchased a semi-detached 4-unit building. The solution was to swap the middle (original) BR with the living room. That way, the bedroom would have the proper window egress from the front window. Could that work for you?

Regards,

Ayana Douglas
Realtor

1313 14th Street NW
Washington, DC 20005

Compass

biniam berhe

Jul 24, 2023, 8:02:58 PM7/24/23
to Ayana Douglas, DC Accessory Apartments Forum, Ileana Schinder, PLLC
Thanks Ayana for your reply.

Does the middle room need natural light to be considered a bedroom? For the upper rooms, I managed to add a skylight in the living room, but since this is the first floor, creating a skylight might not be feasible. By converting the middle room into a living room, was the first-floor unit approved as a two-bedroom? I'm curious to know more about the classification process.

Thanks for your help

On Mon, Jul 24, 2023 at 7:40 PM Ayana Douglas <ayana....@compass.com> wrote:
Hello Biniam,

I’ve recently dealt with this exact issue with a client that purchased a semi-detached 4-unit building. The solution was to swap the middle (original) BR with the living room. That way, the bedroom would have the proper window egress from the front window. Could that work for you?

Regards,

On Jul 24, 2023, at 6:41 PM, biniam berhe <biniam...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
With deep gratitude,

District Property Services

Jul 24, 2023, 8:22:35 PM7/24/23
to biniam berhe, Ayana Douglas, DC Accessory Apartments Forum, Ileana Schinder, PLLC
Both the rear porch and the proposed front bedroom should be considered a legal 2-BR. In your case, the middle bedroom would become the living/dining room where egress and natural light aren’t required. That’s my understanding anyway ;)
--
Ayana Douglas
District Property Services LLC

biniam berhe

Jul 24, 2023, 8:33:42 PM7/24/23
to District Property Services, Ayana Douglas, DC Accessory Apartments Forum, Ileana Schinder, PLLC
Thank you for your valuable input; it has provided me with another great insight! I'm wondering if you happen to know which entity is in charge of making this decision? Is it the Department of Buildings (DOB)? If it is, I may need to schedule an inspection with them to ensure everything is in compliance and properly classified. Your guidance is much appreciated!
--
With deep gratitude,

Ileana Schinder, PLLC

Jul 24, 2023, 8:47:59 PM7/24/23
to biniam berhe, District Property Services, Ayana Douglas, DC Accessory Apartments Forum
Hi Biniam,
This is 100% DoB. When you provide them with the drawings, they will give you feedback on which (and if) IBC rules you are breaking. The bedroom rules are extremely rigid because they concern safety and quality of life.
Feel free to reach out if you need help,
Ile

Pardon per le tpyo. Sent from a iphone.

Ileana Schinder, PLLC

Jul 24, 2023, 8:49:32 PM7/24/23
to District Property Services, biniam berhe, Ayana Douglas, DC Accessory Apartments Forum
Yes to turning the front living room into a bedroom. However, beware of entrance requirements and how it will “chop” the lower floor plan.