Zoning reforms afoot in 2022 for ADUs

Cheryl Cort

Feb 1, 2022, 1:54:18 PM2/1/22
to DC Accessory Apartments Forum
DC Office of Planning plans to make changes for ADUs & alley lot zoning regulations this year. I don't really know much more than that.

I dont know what "Rear Yard Amendment" refers to. Last year they clarified that accessory buildings are NOT allowed to be built matter of right in the required rear yard, but can be done by special exception. I update our ADU manual to reflect this, and the change in accessory building height to 22' & shrinking of alley centerline setback to 7.5'. View illustration of revised rules here.

We've pitched OP on allowing a 650 SF footprint for an accessory building if used as an accessible living unit. Other top reform priorities: get rid of 5 year waiting period for building an accessory building in RF zones, allow full footprint of basement apt. even if it exceeds the ratio limit to the rest of principal dwelling. We've also supported a number of changes proposed related to alley lots that the ZC indicated interest in. As for owner occupancy requirement for R zone ADUs -- I think this might be a longer shot but worth examining.
image.png

See full OP presentation here

_____________________________

Cheryl Cort (she/her)

Policy Director

Coalition for Smarter Growth

Mobile: 202-251-7516

(e) che...@smartergrowth.net www.smartergrowth.net

Twitter @betterDCregion | @cherylcort

Your gift helps keep CSG's advocacy going! Donate today!

Ileana Schinder

Feb 1, 2022, 2:15:55 PM2/1/22
to Cheryl Cort, DC Accessory Apartments Forum
For ADUs, these restrictions are a no-go.
with this new rear setback basically kills the potential of more than half the townhouses. It's pretty absurd and discourages the development of ADUs.
Less people will be able to afford the exception process (it's red tape, time consuming, etc), less lots are available to be developed... what is the process to provide comments?
I feel like screaming right now. I feel that all the effort we've put in until now (i even wrote a book about this topic, dammit!) it's thrown away with an inexplicable (and unnecessary!) restriction.
Yup, pretty mad.
ile

PS: Wait, don't go... My book "Housing for Humans" is available online but If you want your fav local bookstore to have it, put us in touch. Thanks!

ileana schinder, Architect
AIA, LEED AP BD+C

i...@ileanaschinder.com
o: 202-381-7463 / c: 202-431-6760

http://www.ileanaschinder.com

Jim P

Feb 3, 2022, 2:00:00 PM2/3/22
to Ileana Schinder, Cheryl Cort, DC Accessory Apartments Forum
There are folks much more knowledgeable about DC than I, but:

Why not create a well-written request for a wiser strategy - including the owner live in, and sprinkler requirement. (Does everyone know, fire incidence is way down now compared to the past.  firefighters have a lot less to do nowadays) - and present it directly to the mayor, with copies to all on the council.  With lots of us signing it, perhaps a city planner or two also signing

In DC dealing with the bureacrats is.  well you all know.

Could eeven be a nopen leter to Mayor in the Post, if someone can get the ear of a journalist.
Thanks,

Jim