ADUs and Inclusionary Zoning

Nancy Roth

Jul 7, 2023, 3:26:38 PM7/7/23
to DC Accessory Apartments Forum
I was surprised when a colleague pointed out ADU listings on the dchousingsearch.org website associated with DC's Inclusionary Zoning program. Wasn’t aware that ADUs were linked to that program. Can anyone tell me more about this?

Looking at the listings, they appear to be apartments within larger new rental buildings. Is the “ADU” designation becoming synonymous with what we used to call an efficiency, or a studio apartment?

Many thanks to all.

Nancy Roth

Cheryl Cort

Jul 7, 2023, 4:16:25 PM7/7/23
to Nancy Roth, DC Accessory Apartments Forum
This is a problem of "ADU" having two meanings in DC. These listings are for "Affordable Dwelling Units" that are deed restricted for low income households. These affordable dwelling units are distinguished from IZ units in that they were created by a different mechanism and might have different rules attached to their use. But are managed by the same program at DHCD.

The way we use ADU in this forum is "Accessory Dwelling Unit."

DC Zoning refers to ADUs mostly as "accessory apartments."

_____________________________

Cheryl Cort (she/her)

Policy Director

Coalition for Smarter Growth

Mobile: 202-251-7516

(e) che...@smartergrowth.net www.smartergrowth.net

Twitter @betterDCregion | @cherylcort

Dana Powell

Jul 24, 2023, 3:00:54 PM7/24/23
to Cheryl Cort, Nancy Roth, DC Accessory Apartments Forum
Greetings Everyone,

I'm considering building a stand-alone ADU on my Brookland property.  I want to put the funds in a CD or money market fund until I am ready to start construction.  What has been folk's experience as to the length of the pre-construction period (e.g., architectural drawings, permits, etc)?

Thanks,
Dana
Dana Powell

Ileana Schinder

Jul 24, 2023, 3:06:59 PM7/24/23
to Dana Powell, Cheryl Cort, Nancy Roth, DC Accessory Apartments Forum
Hi Dana,
how are you? Pre construction time frames vary significantly depending on the project scope but, in general, I'd assume you want to count ONE year from the moment you engage an architect to the moment construction is complete. The process below describes the design and documentation process for a typical 450 sq ft ground-up ADU.
  • Schematic Design 2-3 weeks
  • Permit Drawings 4-6 weeks
  • Collection of Estimates / GC Interviews 2-3 weeks (this phase can overlap with others)
  • DoB Permit Processing 8-12 weeks.
Truth be told, depending on how many other agencies you must engage (Historic preservation, DOEE, DDOT, BZA) this timeline may vary. I think it's safe to assume that the pre-construction process should take 6 months.
I hope this helps,
ile

PS: Wait, don't go... My book "Housing for Humans" is available!

ileana schinder, Architect
AIA, LEED AP BD+C

i...@ileanaschinder.com
o: 202-381-7463 / c: 202-431-6760

http://www.ileanaschinder.com

AE Gardner

Jul 24, 2023, 3:17:32 PM7/24/23
to Ileana Schinder, Dana Powell, Cheryl Cort, Nancy Roth, DC Accessory Apartments Forum
I would chime in and agree with Ile’s response, but would highlight her point that the time frame can vary greatly with your project scope and agency reviews.

In addition, you might also think about the scope of design services you wish to request.  For instance, how defined are your goals vis-a-vis the selection of finishes?  Do you have particular goals about the exterior or interior design that would have an impact on the pre-construction timeframe?  Do you have sustainable or energy related goals that must be factored into the process, such as running an energy model?  Are there site issues that are raised by the ADU being free-standing - for instance is there a landscape design that might be implemented in order for the free-standing ADU and the existing house to have plantings that allow for privacy between them?

Similarly, marrying your construction budget with the design and general contractors’ estimates can also be seamless or can extend the timeframe.  Meaning - how well does your construction budget mesh with construction estimates of probable cost?

While this response does get into the weeds a bit, I hope this helps.

kind regards
Amy Gardner
--
Amy E. Gardner FAIA LEED-AP
Gardner Architects LLC

Laura Malaguerra

Jul 24, 2023, 3:25:44 PM7/24/23
to AE Gardner, Cheryl Cort, DC Accessory Apartments Forum, Dana Powell, Ileana Schinder, Nancy Roth
I just got my permit from DOB after 10 months :/
The bureaucracy there was insanity, with a zoning reviewer delaying me for two months for no reason.

Dana Powell

Jul 24, 2023, 3:48:40 PM7/24/23
to AE Gardner, Ileana Schinder, Cheryl Cort, Nancy Roth, DC Accessory Apartments Forum
Wow, thanks for the swift feedback! Investment-wise, is this a cost-efficient time to build vis-a-vis material costs?  Labor costs? I assume 2022 costs were much higher than that of today?  My fidelity advisor is encouraging me to invest these retirement funds in a long-term conservative growth fund that averages 8.6% ROI instead.

Ileana Schinder, PLLC

Jul 24, 2023, 4:04:11 PM7/24/23
to Dana Powell, AE Gardner, Cheryl Cort, Nancy Roth, DC Accessory Apartments Forum
In general (and oh boy so many variables here!) it seems that ADU have an ROI of 5% very similar to other real estate investments. But, again SO many variables that’s hard to put a value in the void.
I hope this helps,
Ile

Pardon per le tpyo. Sent from a iphone.

AE Gardner

Jul 24, 2023, 4:06:43 PM7/24/23
to Dana Powell, Ileana Schinder, Cheryl Cort, Nancy Roth, DC Accessory Apartments Forum
Ile and I may have different takes on this, but for what its worth, here’s mine:

While construction costs are/have been stabilizing and in some cases coming down, our experience is that 2022 labor and material costs are not that much lower than those we are seeing now.  Especially at the scale of your project where there really isn’t an economy of scale.  However, prices are more stable.  Also, in 2022 we were seeing subcontractors and suppliers only offering a 3-day quote verses 30 day typical practice.  Finally, we are also seeing a slight softening in the market in the early part of 2023, due to interest rates.  This could mean that when you do move towards construction, you may see more GC and sub-contractor availability and thus more competition for work.

I would suggest that when you hire an architect, that you consider sharing schematic design drawings with general contractors so that you can get preliminary opinions of probable cost early.   As Ile notes, the phase of interviewing and gathering estimates can overlap the earlier phases.  So consider engaging a general contractor as early as possible — considering them as a team member willing to advance the opinion of probable cost as the design evolves.  I don’t think one always gets the best result by waiting until “the end” and bidding and choosing the lowest bidder.

I can’t advise on an investment strategy, of course!  :-)  I would note that a year to get this project done, soup-to-nuts, could be tight.

Ricardo James

Jul 24, 2023, 5:28:33 PM7/24/23
to AE Gardner, Dana Powell, Ileana Schinder, Cheryl Cort, Nancy Roth, DC Accessory Apartments Forum
I love the feedback. I have a different take on building your ADU. Why not just buy a modular home built off-site and get it craned in, maybe a better ROI. ie https://zennihome.com/   or  https://www.honomobo.com/us/home
check out Kerry Tarnow page for more options.  Zenni Homes are 90k - 125k and come with everything.

ZenniHomes_Mesa_AZ.png

Hope this Helps

-Ricardo (Brookland NE)

Ileana Schinder, PLLC

Jul 24, 2023, 6:13:05 PM7/24/23
to Ricardo James, AE Gardner, Dana Powell, Cheryl Cort, Nancy Roth, DC Accessory Apartments Forum
Hi Ricardo,
Those modular houses look good. However, when you add up: transportation, infrastucture and finishes the cost of prefab construction is 20-30% MORE per square foot than traditional construction.
Simply put, if you copy the design of this module and build it with 2x6s, you’ll save a ton of money.
Also, not all modular homes are created for all climates so you may habe to compensate with insulation and mechanical systems required by your local jurisdiction.
Feel free to reach out if you need more info to make an apples-to-apples comparison on prefab-vs-traditional.

On Jul 24, 2023, at 5:28 PM, Ricardo James <ricardo...@gmail.com> wrote:

I love the feedback. I have a different take on building your ADU. Why not just buy a modular home built off-site and get it craned in, maybe a better ROI. ie https://zennihome.com/   or  https://www.honomobo.com/us/home
check out Kerry Tarnow page for more options.  Zenni Homes are 90k - 125k and come with everything.

Dana Powell

Jul 27, 2023, 12:25:59 PM7/27/23
to Ileana Schinder, PLLC, Ricardo James, AE Gardner, Cheryl Cort, Nancy Roth, DC Accessory Apartments Forum
Greetings everyone!

Is there a list of architects in this group?  I have used an architect for smaller remodeling projects, but he has not done ADU projects (though he has experience with new and gut-rehab construction.  Is it best to employ an architect who has ADU experience, especially in shepherding the project through DC gov't agencies?

Ricardo James

Jul 27, 2023, 12:29:10 PM7/27/23
to Dana Powell, Ileana Schinder, PLLC, AE Gardner, Cheryl Cort, Nancy Roth, DC Accessory Apartments Forum

Ileana Schinder, PLLC (She's the best at ADU in the area)

Ileana Schinder

Jul 27, 2023, 12:31:16 PM7/27/23
to Ricardo James, Dana Powell, AE Gardner, Cheryl Cort, Nancy Roth, DC Accessory Apartments Forum
:)
Thanks Ricardo... Amy is also super cool

AE Gardner

Jul 27, 2023, 12:31:24 PM7/27/23
to Ricardo James, Dana Powell, Ileana Schinder, PLLC, Cheryl Cort, Nancy Roth, DC Accessory Apartments Forum
I agree with Ricardo.  Go with Ile.   You will be in terrific hands.

AE Gardner

Jul 27, 2023, 12:32:43 PM7/27/23
to Ileana Schinder, Ricardo James, Dana Powell, Cheryl Cort, Nancy Roth, DC Accessory Apartments Forum
Thanks Ile!   (Haha, I just wholeheartedly endorsed YOU in a different “fork” of this email chain!)

Dana Powell

Jul 27, 2023, 12:56:51 PM7/27/23
to AE Gardner, Ileana Schinder, Ricardo James, Cheryl Cort, Nancy Roth, DC Accessory Apartments Forum
Thanks for the recommendations.  What is the current  design and build estimate per square ft cost for a 900 sq ft (450 sq footprint)?
Dana Powell

Cheryl Cort

Jul 27, 2023, 2:39:17 PM7/27/23
to Dana Powell, AE Gardner, Ileana Schinder, Ricardo James, Nancy Roth, DC Accessory Apartments Forum
When we started this effort, we collected a list of professionals interested in some part of the ADU process.

Here's the list.

So this list is not an endorsement, and I dont know that all have actually done an ADU in DC.