Documentation of ADU

eas eas

May 27, 2024, 5:54:19 AMMay 27
to ad...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

We converted our basement to an ADU about 2 years ago.

I thought we received some sort of documentation like a Certificate of Occupancy, or actual paperwork stating it's an ADU.

Our business license is up for renewal and were talking about the process and it turns out that we don't think we have anything from the city other than the business license to demonstrate that we have an approved ADU - no Certificate of Occupancy.

We got the inspection approval after the renovation and did various things online, and... that was it. (At the time we thought we'd get something back, but we're realizing we never did).

Part of our motivation in converting the in-law suite to an ADU was resale value when the time came.

I remember talking to a neighbor who bought a house with an ADU and he said the sellers handed him an actual COO document (with a "guard it with your life" kind of statement, because of what it does for the house value).

Does anyone know - should we have a physical document stating that it's a legal ADU? And if so, where would we get that?

(and yes, our builder should have helped us navigate this; and we may go back to them, but I thought I'd start here).

Thanks!
Elizabeth

Cheryl Cort

May 28, 2024, 8:37:56 AMMay 28
to eas eas, ad...@googlegroups.com
Per our DC ADU Manual:

 A certificate of occupancy is not required for an accessory apartment in the R zone, but is required for a second dwelling in the RF or RA zones.

_____________________________

Cheryl Cort (she/her)

Policy Director

Coalition for Smarter Growth

Mobile: 202-251-7516

(e) che...@smartergrowth.net www.smartergrowth.net

Join me on Bluesky @cherylcort.bsky.social

We're honoring Metro's General Manager Randy Clarke at our Livable Communities Reception on May 29! Buy your tickets to celebrate with us — and get an exclusive first look at our Blueprint for a Better Region.

BBL PROCESSORS ADMIN TEAM

May 28, 2024, 9:30:14 AMMay 28
to Cheryl Cort, eas eas, ad...@googlegroups.com, Damayra Moses Perez

Hi Elizabeth,

The building permit (converting the space into an ADU) and the approved inspection report from DOB (formerly DCRA) is all the documentation you need to prove that you have a legal ADU.

Please ensure that you keep that information in a secure place, because DC government is notorious for losing documentation.

Thank you.

BBL PROCESSORS (ADMIN TEAM)

If you enjoyed the experience, please leave us a review on Google with your comments.

Please send all DOB inspection requests to inspe...@bblprocessors.com.

When replying, please “reply all” to ensure that you receive a timely response.

BBL PROCESSORS

Part of the AFREM SERVICES Network

PO Box 9585

Washington DC 20016

(D) 202-656-4181

(F) 844-342-7087

(E) in...@bblprocessors.com

(W) www.bblprocessors.com

DISCLAIMER: The information transmitted is intended solely for the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.

NOTE:  BBL PROCESSORS or the AFREM SERVICES Network are not affiliated with any District of Columbia or State of Maryland government agencies. We are a licensing processing and management company assisting business and rental property owners in obtaining and renewing their BBL (Basic Business License) or Maryland Rental License.

Keith Vaughan

May 28, 2024, 3:03:52 PMMay 28
to BBL PROCESSORS ADMIN TEAM, Cheryl Cort, eas eas, ad...@googlegroups.com, Damayra Moses Perez
I think that this could be stated more directly to the inquirer.
  • You simply cannot get a CofO for an ADU in DC
  • CofO is used strictly for a 2-unit flat building use designation (and above) and only certain zones allow for SFR conversion into a legal, 2-unit building; an ADU is not the same (per DC) and in order to rent out 1 of the 2 units in an ADU building, the homeowner must live in the building also as primary residence -- this is not true for CofO
  • Depending on the zoning that you live within/under, is what is required or not required -- and DC business licensing messes this up all the time. I am working on something right now for a client who has a BBL for an ADU, but a CofO is actually required because they are RF-1 (and they don't meet the physical built environment requirements for either the CofO or the ADU)

Keith Vaughan, Owner & Lead Project Development