Gujarati Font Conversion problem when copied from Word File

Keyur...@adobeforums.com

Jan 24, 2007, 2:20:14 AM1/24/07
Dear All,

I am facing a problem with Gujarati Fonts. I have one doc file containing both English and Gujarati Font (BiLingual Data). I am using Unicode fonts for Gujarati fonts in word file. I am able to see the data properly in my word file.

Now when I am trying to paste the data in Pagemaker, I am not able to see the Gujarati data (Getting Junk Characters) + alignment goes off.

Is there any problem with the Installation of the fonts or I need to go for some other fonts ??

Please help at earliest.

Thanks in advance.

John_...@adobeforums.com

Jan 24, 2007, 7:25:31 AM1/24/07
I'm not familiar with Gujarati, but I do know that PM sees only the first 256 glyphs of a (multi-byte) Unicode font.

The two ways around this are:

1. Use Indesign instead of PM

2. Find a single-byte Truetype or Type1 Gujarati font.

See this thread:
* John Davies, "Placing Russian Text into PM 7.0" #1, 14 Jan 2007 3:54 am </cgi-bin/webx?14@@.3bc2d882/0>

It's also possible that an Asian version of PM will handle your Gujarati font, but I have no such experience.

Iechyd da! John
12:25 24/01/2007 GMT

Keyur...@adobeforums.com

Jan 25, 2007, 3:02:12 AM1/25/07
John.......

I guess you are right but Is there any Work around by which I can get my solution with Page maker Only........ I can convert my doc files to PDF but I am not sure will it be useful or not.....

If there is any work around by which I can open my doc files in PM... plz let me know as soon as possible.

Stan Wetherald

Jan 25, 2007, 12:01:41 PM1/25/07
John gave you two possible workarounds.

One workaround is to find single byte fonts that Pagemaker will recognize. That means finding Type 1 postscript fonts or True Type fonts. The will not have the extended character set that open type fonts have so you may need more than one font to cover the entire character set if there are more than 256 characters that you need.

The other is to see about using an Asian version of Pagemaker. You would have to purchase that version, but there may be a 30 day trial version out there that you can try and see if it helps.

You do need to think about your decision to stick with Pagemaker since Adobe will probably stop supporting it at all within the next year or so. They are no longer doing any development work on it. So it will not be certified to run under Vista or the next Mac OS release. There is a 30 trial of InDesign that is fully functional. You could download it and see if it will handle your document.

Stan Wetherald
Quality Quickprint
DeLand, Florida USA

John_...@adobeforums.com

Jan 25, 2007, 6:09:16 PM1/25/07

> If there is any work around by which I can open my doc files in PM...

No. PM can not deal with all the glyphs of a multi-byte/unicode font.

Stan and I have listed all the realistic options.

Iechyd da! John
23:08 25/01/2007 GMT

Tom Glowka

Jan 31, 2007, 10:26:03 AM1/31/07
Have you tried "PLACING" versus "PASTING"?

Keyur...@adobeforums.com

Feb 1, 2007, 12:06:04 AM2/1/07
Tom......

Can you please tell me what do you mean by "PLACING" ?

What I mean Pasting is I had simply copied the content from WinWord by Ctrl + C and pasted into PM by Ctrl + V...

Stan Wetherald

Feb 1, 2007, 11:36:53 AM2/1/07
What he means by placing is going to File/Place and navigating to the word file and opening it. You will get a loaded cursor that you then click where you want the upper left corner of the first text block to be and the text will flow onto the page and fill the page. If you have autoflow turned on, it will fill and create as many pages as needed. Tom is suggesting this in the hopes that PM will recognize more characters by doing it this way. I still think you will need active fonts because again PM will only recognize the first 256 characters of the multi-byte font and will replace unrecognized characters with a space or a box.

John_...@adobeforums.com

Feb 1, 2007, 8:20:55 PM2/1/07

> you will need active fonts because again PM will only recognize the
first 256 characters of the multi-byte font and will replace unrecognized
characters with a space or a box.

Yes.

Iechyd da! John
01:22 02/02/2007 GMT

Keyur...@adobeforums.com

Feb 1, 2007, 11:54:58 PM2/1/07
I also checked that File/Place operation. I got English data properly But... Instead of Gujarati data, I got message like "* Filter does not support this file format | In-line.WMF *".

Anyways, it seems like PM wont support my requirement so now we have planned to go for InDesign. Lets hope I can get my work done in that.

Thanks a lot to everybody who has helped me in arriving to some kind of solution.

John_...@adobeforums.com

Feb 2, 2007, 8:59:26 AM2/2/07
You'll not regret the move to InDesign, and in a very short time you'll forget PM…

> Filter does not support this file format | In-line.WMF *".

For info about placing graphics, see this FAQ:
* Donald Gruener, "3.1 - Importing and Placing Graphics into PageMaker" #1, 17 May 2002 7:11 am </cgi-bin/webx?50@@.ef85028/0>

For info about importing Word Documents, see this FAQ:
* John Davies, "6.8 - Importing Text from Word (*.doc)" #1, 22 Jul 2003 3:47 am </cgi-bin/webx?50@@.1dea03d1/0>

This does not change thact that PM can only see the first 256 characters of a font.

Iechyd da! John
13:59 02/02/2007 GMT