Fonts & ATM Installers

Lisa_S...@adobeforums.com

Nov 16, 2003, 4:28:44 AM11/16/03
I am taking a desktop publishing class through my college, and am having extreme difficulties in completing the class. I bought the PageMaker Classroom in a Book to help with the class. The cd contains several fonts that I need to access in order for my assignments to come out right, but I cannot get the fonts onto my computer. I have tried the book's suggested path of copying them to my Common Files/Adobe/Fonts folder, and that hasn't seemed to work. The book talks about an ATM, and says that the CIB CD will automatically install the necessary fonts, except that it hasn't. I can see that they exist on the CIB CD, but I have no other ideas on how to access them and get them to show up in my PageMaker 7 documents. Please help!

Lisa_S...@adobeforums.com

Nov 16, 2003, 4:28:28 AM11/16/03

John_...@adobeforums.com

Nov 16, 2003, 1:53:34 PM11/16/03
Hi, Lisa,

You have options:

1. Copy the fonts from the PM CIB CD-ROM to the folder [PMDIR]\Extras\Fonts - copy all fils for each font – *.afm, *.inf, *.pfb and *,pfm – to be sure. PM will find them next time it is loaded up.

2. If you have ATM4.1 (NOT 4.0), load it up and install the fonts from the CD-ROM.

3. If you don't have ATM4.1, but are a Win2K or WinXP user, install the fonts from the CD-ROM using the windows font installer found in the Control Panel - > Fonts.

Options 2 & 3 will make the fonts available to all windows applications.

Iechyd da! John
18:53 16/11/2003 GMT

Rob_S...@adobeforums.com

Nov 16, 2003, 5:50:28 PM11/16/03
ATM is Adobe Type Manager, a powerful little program which runs in the background and whose primary job is to make your fonts look on screen almost exactly as they will print out, that is WYSIWYG - What You See Is What You Get.

DTP was a nightmare before ATM came along and helped you postion and size Postscript fonts accurately. Truetype fonts alleviated the problem somewhat, as they don't need ATM to look OK, but it's still essential for Postscript fonts

ATM is also used to install and unistall fonts and the Deluxe version (I've got 4.1, released in 2000 but there might be a later version) allows you to assemble fonts into sets, which you can activate and deactivate when required, even while the computer and DTP software is in use. Individual fonts can also be switched on and off.

Most DTP professionals keep just a minimum number of fonts activated, some only the set for the job they are working on, which reduces the size of the font menu in PageMaker and saves on memory use.

Basically, all DTP people need ATM, which is one of our essential tools.

Dominic...@adobeforums.com

Nov 16, 2003, 5:43:20 PM11/16/03
Hi John

It's rare indeed that I disagree with anything you've posted, but I don't believe that copying files to c:\adobe\pm\extras\fonts will make them available to any app (including PM). As far as I know, this is just an extras folder (ie, a place where the free fonts supplied with PM are stored). It doesn't operate like the common fonts folder does with InDesign or PhotoShop - or, at least, it doesn't on my computer.

John_...@adobeforums.com

Nov 16, 2003, 6:37:06 PM11/16/03
Hi, Dominic,

> I don't believe that copying files to c:\adobe\pm\extras\fonts will
make them available

Yes, I've made a boo-boo there.

I was not fully concentrating when I entered the folder name.

On Page 2 of PM 7 CiB it says:

You can also install the Classroom in a Book fonts by copying all of the
files in the Fonts folder on the Adobe PageMaker Classroom in a Book CD
to:
• Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Fonts (Windows)
• System Folder\Application Support\Adobe\Fonts

which is what I should have written.

Iechyd da! John
23:37 16/11/2003 GMT

John_...@adobeforums.com

Nov 16, 2003, 7:04:38 PM11/16/03
ATM 4.1 Light is also supplied on both the Classroom in a Book CD-ROM and the PM7 Setup CD-ROM, and should always be used in preference to ATM 4.0 Light which can be problematic with Win2K and XP.

Donald Gruener "5.12 - ATM 4.0 and Windows2000/XP" 1/21/03 11:15am </cgi-bin/webx?14@@.1de77b85/0>

Iechyd da! John
00:04 17/11/2003 GMT

Bob_...@adobeforums.com

Nov 16, 2003, 6:50:36 PM11/16/03
I agree with Rob that all DTP people should have a font manager, whether it be ATM Deluxe, Suitcase for Windows (which needs ATM Light to install Multiple Master fonts), or Bitstream's Font Navigator (which is packaged with CorelDraw).

ATM is not necessary to install fonts on Windows 2000 or XP; PostScript fonts can be installed through the Control Panel. That being said, however, few serious DTP people would actually do so.

Explore your CD, apparently ATM Light is there. If not you can download it here: <http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=15&platform=Windows>. And there is an ATM forum.

Dominic...@adobeforums.com

Nov 16, 2003, 6:50:56 PM11/16/03
ATM is still essential for Postscript fonts.

Not on W2K or XP. Although ATM is still needed for MM fonts, native support for Type 1 and OpenType fonts is built into the OS. Even if you install ATM, the installation and displaying of Type 1 and OT fonts will still be done by the OS.

Dominic...@adobeforums.com

Nov 16, 2003, 7:41:53 PM11/16/03
With regard to c:\program files\common files\adobe\fonts in Windows, I know this works for apps like InDesign and PhotoShop, but I understood it didn't work for PageMaker. Again, it doesn't on my PC, regardless of what the CIB book says. Does it work for you?

As far as I know, the only options you have for installing fonts for PM are to use ATM (for OT, Type 1, and MM fonts), the Windows fonts installer (for TT fonts), or, for XP and W2K, either ATM4.1.2 or the Windows font installer for all fonts except MM fonts (which must be installed through ATM).

John_...@adobeforums.com

Nov 16, 2003, 8:22:35 PM11/16/03
Hi, Dominic,

> Does it work for you?

NO! The folder Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Fonts was empty on my PC and I've just copied Adobe Garamond in there. It's not listed in my ATM Deluxe at all. The font shows up in InDesign and Illustrator, but not in PageMaker.

So really that option needs to be removed, and as you say, using the ATM installer is by far the best way.

Iechyd da! John
01:22 17/11/2003 GMT

Dominic...@adobeforums.com

Nov 16, 2003, 9:05:49 PM11/16/03
Good to have it confirmed. Thanks.

I suspect whoever prepared the book just used the same standard "Installing Fonts" text from one of the ID/PhotoShop/Illustrator CIBs for the PM version without stopping to check it. It's certainly not the first mistake I've read of in these books.

John_...@adobeforums.com

Nov 17, 2003, 11:30:13 AM11/17/03
Hi, Dominic,

I'll amend the FAQs later when I get home from work.

I've also read that Adobe Telephone Tech Support hand out the same (incorrect) advice about installing fonts. I'll see if I can find the reference - I think it was in a PM NewsGroup.

Iechyd da! John
16:32 17/11/03 GMT

Rob_S...@adobeforums.com

Nov 18, 2003, 8:31:29 AM11/18/03
Didn't know that ATM isn't needed for Windows XP. I've got XP Professional (just £21 via a friend who works for Microsoft!) but am holding back from installing on my main computer because I've got loads of oldish, still useful software (including PM6.5) which probably won't work properly with it.

No. 2 Computer (nowhere near as many programs and used mainly for word and photo processing) has it installed though, and ATM appears to me to be managing the font sets in exactly the same way as with previous Windows 98.

It was only upgraded to XP a few days ago, following new motherboard and other hardware upgrades, and I haven't yet had time to study the inner workings of the OS, so maybe ATM is superfluous.

Dominic...@adobeforums.com

Nov 18, 2003, 3:48:10 PM11/18/03
Installing ATM (whether Deluxe or Light) does not remove font handling from the OS in XP or W2K (MS essentially licensed ATM from Adobe for inclusion in the OS). Installing Deluxe does, however, give you true font management facilities (sets, activation, deactivation). Installing either gives you support for MM fonts. But if all you want to do is install and use Type 1 or OpenType fonts, then, no, you don't need ATM - it is superfluous.

Lisa_S...@adobeforums.com

Nov 25, 2003, 4:56:28 PM11/25/03
Hi-another problem and more questions....
I read through all of John and Dominic's suggestions, none of which unfortunately worked. John suggested that "If you have ATM4.1 (NOT 4.0), load it up and install the fonts from the CD-ROM." The CD-ROM meaning the Classroom in a Book CD for PageMaker 7. I finally found the ATM4.1 on the cd, and installed it. Still nothing works. I have a feeling that maybe I am installing stuff into the wrong folders. I believe there were three folders I had to choose for stuff to go to. I don't recall what the first folder was for, but I do remember that the second and third folders were for Outline and Metric fonts. I have no idea what folders I am supposed to make or choose for any of the three, nor what fonts from what folders on the CD I am supposed to put in which. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me, I have ONE WEEK to finish my desktop publishing class, I've been fighting the entire semester trying to track down how to fix this problem. I've also tried calling Adobe support, but I am working on a computer that has been passed on through a few users, and I can't verify the original owners name and address. I've been hoping and praying that I can get the answers I need to solve this ASAP and pass this class. PLEASE find anything you can as quick as you can to help me solve this! Thank you!

Lisa_S...@adobeforums.com

Nov 25, 2003, 4:54:24 PM11/25/03
Hi-another problem and more questions....
I read through all of John and Dominic's suggestions, none of which unfortunetly worked. John suggested that "If you have ATM4.1 (NOT 4.0), load it up and install the fonts from the CD-ROM." The CD-ROM meaning the Classroom in a Book CD for PageMaker 7. I finally found the ATM4.1 on the cd, and installed it. Still nothing works. I have a feeling that maybe I am installing stuff into the wrong folders. I believe there were three folders I had to choose for stuff to go to. I don't recall what the first folder was for, but I do remember that the second and third folders were for Outline and Metric fonts. I have no idea what folders I am supposed to make or choose for any of the three, nor what fonts from what folders on the CD I am supposed to put in which. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me, I have ONE WEEK to finish my desktop publishing class, I've been fighting the entire semester trying to track down how to fix this problem. I've also tried calling Adobe support, but I am working on a computer that has been passed on through a few users, and I can't verify the original owners name and address. I've been hoping and praying that I can get the answers I need to solve this ASAP and pass this class. PLEASE find anything you can as quick as you can to help me solve this! Thank you!

John_...@adobeforums.com

Nov 26, 2003, 4:17:59 AM11/26/03
Hi, Lisa,

> Still nothing works.

What doesn't work?
What EXACTLY have you done?
Which version of Windows are you using?
Have you installed the fonts using ATM4.1 from the PM CiaB to your hard drive?
Do you have sufficient privileges to install software?

Iechyd da! John
09:17 26/11/2003 GMT

sandy_...@adobeforums.com

Nov 26, 2003, 8:34:15 AM11/26/03
Lisa, Don't "copy" any fonts into any folders. Launch the Adobe Type Manager program. Click on the tab that says "Add Fonts". Change the drive to your CD and browse to the folder the fonts are in. Click the "add" button. They should now show up in your PM menu.

John_...@adobeforums.com

Nov 26, 2003, 2:31:02 PM11/26/03
Hi, Lisa,

Everything seems OK except for the detail of installing the fonts.

I don;t have ATM Light on this PC, so I can't post up a screenpic, but on the PM7 CiaB CD in the folder \Fonts\ATM there is PDF called "ATM_4.1.pdf" explaining the process. Open the PDF - you need Page 8, "Adding roman fonts".

There's also this FAQ: Donald Gruener "5.5 - Missing Fonts" 5/17/02 10:31am </cgi-bin/webx?14@@.ef8990f/0>

Hope this helps.

Iechyd da! John
19:30 26/11/2003 GMT

Lisa_S...@adobeforums.com

Nov 26, 2003, 2:14:54 PM11/26/03

Still nothing works.

What doesn't work? The fonts from the CIB CD that are supposedly on my hard drive now are not being read by PageMaker 7 even after restarting

What EXACTLY have you done? I go to the D:/ drive, and open the icon that says something to the effect of Setup ATM 4.1. Then I go through the process of installing the fonts, but it makes me choose folders for Outline and Metric fonts, and I'm not sure what those are, and what folders I am supposed to choose for each.

Which version of Windows are you using? 98

Have you installed the fonts using ATM4.1 from the PM CiaB to your hard drive? yes, I've done this 3 times, and still the fonts aren't being read by PAgeMaker

Do you have sufficient privileges to install software? Yes

Dominic...@adobeforums.com

Nov 26, 2003, 6:04:05 PM11/26/03
I agree with John - it sounds like all you've done is install ATM, not actually install the fonts with ATM. These are two separate steps. ATM creates the default folders c:\ps fonts and c:\ps fonts\pfm for storing the outline and metric files, and unless you have a good reason to change them, leave these folders as named. Install any Type 1 or OpenType fonts to these folders by using ATM, not by copying to the folders with Explorer.

Finally, update ATM to 4.1.2 by downloading the 4.1.2 patch from Adobe.

Lisa_S...@adobeforums.com

Nov 26, 2003, 8:24:40 PM11/26/03
Okay, well, I guess I didn't explain very clearly or at all, that I don't know how to install the fonts. I've installed the ATM 4.1 yes, but now what? It doesn't give me any kind of button or link or anything that I saw that says how to actually install the fonts now. I hope there is another way besides going to File (once in the font folder), Install Fonts, because I don't have that option. Can you give me an exact step by step on how to actually install the fonts now?

John_...@adobeforums.com

Nov 26, 2003, 8:40:26 PM11/26/03
Hi, Lisa,

I can only refer you back to the PDF file on the PM7 CiaB CD called "ATM_4.1.pdf" in the folder X:\Fonts\ATM\ where X: is your CD drive.

I've copied the text from page 8, "Adding a Roman Font"

To add a font:

1. In ATM, click the Fonts tab.

2. Using the Source list, specify a source for the fonts you want to add:
• Choose Browse for Fonts to add fonts from a local hard disk, CD, floppy
disk, or network drive. Locate the folder that contains the font files you
want.
• Choose Create Multiple Master to add instances of multiple master fonts
already installed on your system. For more information, see Chapter 2, “Using
Multiple Master Fonts.”

3. If you want to add fonts without copying any font files to your hard
disk, select Add without Copying Files. This is useful if you use fonts
directly from a CD or network drive. If a network drive goes off line, or
if you do not have the correct CD available, fonts remain installed, but
the fonts may not display or print correctly.

4. Do one of the following:
• Drag and drop the selected fonts to the Destination list.
• Click the Add button.

There is a screenpic to illustrate the procedure on page 8.

NOTES:
1. The source for the fonts you want to add is X:\Fonts\ATM\fonts where X: is your CD drive.

2. They are not Multiple Master fonts.

3. Keep "Add without Copying Files" unchecked - copy the files to your local hard disk

4. If you don't have a copy of Adobe Reader to view the PDF, you can download it from <http://www.adobe.co.uk/products/acrobat/readstep2.html>

HTH.

Iechyd da! John
01:40 27/11/2003 GMT

Rich_Be...@adobeforums.com

Nov 26, 2003, 11:11:09 PM11/26/03
Lisa,

I don't know if lite has this, I've only used deluxe.

If you click on the add fonts tab of ATM, you can then search for fonts. You can select the drive to search using File>Search. You can then search CD's. or local disks (ie C: and D: drives) it will find all the fonts it can and add them to a font set called search results. These fonts will then be available to ATM.

Make sure that if you are searching a removable media, like a CD that you have add without copying fonts unchecked.

Once they are available to ATM, you can remove them from the search results set, and add them to any set you want. Removing them from a set does not remove them from the system. They will still be available to ATM.

I generally create sets based on customers. Some people create sets based on font family's. You can do it any way you feel comfortable with.

John_...@adobeforums.com

Nov 27, 2003, 4:20:55 AM11/27/03
Morning, Rich,

Sets are a feature of ATM DeLuxe, not ATM Light Edition.

(Back to the coffee)

Iechyd da! John
09:20 27/11/03 GMT

Rich_Be...@adobeforums.com

Nov 27, 2003, 12:51:09 PM11/27/03
Morning John,

Holiday here today ...

Hangover = bad :)

Robert...@adobeforums.com

Nov 27, 2003, 1:34:29 PM11/27/03
> Hangover = bad :)

That'll be tomorrow. The Kendall Jackson chardonnay is chilling as we speak.

Bob

Lisa_S...@adobeforums.com

Nov 30, 2003, 8:29:00 PM11/30/03
I just want to thank you guys so much for helping figure out how to install the ATM 4.1 and how to use it to install fonts. You guys are the best. If I could kiss you I would, you helped me just in time that I can finish the class before the deadline. Just a note though, maybe you could maybe re-edit the PM 7 CIB instructions and maybe go into more detail in the book on how to do this. Again, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!

John_...@adobeforums.com

Dec 1, 2003, 8:02:44 AM12/1/03
Hi, Lisa,

> maybe you could maybe re-edit the PM 7 CIB instructions and maybe go
into more detail in the book on how to do this

Sadly only Adobe can do that as we mere users like your self, but I'm sure we've all made a note of the incorrect instruction in the PM CiaB guide.

> If I could kiss you

Just go easy there, Lisa; I'm getting old and over-excitement isn't good for my blood-pressure.

Iechyd da! John
13:05 01/12/03 GMT

Rich_Be...@adobeforums.com

Dec 1, 2003, 10:42:00 AM12/1/03

If I could kiss you I would

Oh Baby! 8)

Swami_...@adobeforums.com

Dec 2, 2003, 9:16:06 PM12/2/03
This thread has been most helpful. I've installed my ps fonts using atm manager 4.1 to the c:\pspsfonts and c:\psfonts\pfm folders and they show up in pagemaker 7. However, when I open some publications it states it cannot find the bold font or the italic font.
I am going to print to distiller should I be concerned - or will the proper fonts show up? Thanks in advance.

Lisa_S...@adobeforums.com

Dec 3, 2003, 4:01:36 AM12/3/03
Alright, well, now that I am on my way with my class, I have run into one more problem...I'm supposed to create an adobe pdf version of my publications...I keep getting an error message saying "Exporting a PDF file requires a PostScript Printer driver. Please install one." I'm not quite sure how to do that...I don't have a printer at all, so what I am supposed to do? I have a couple of old ones that appear in the printing menu where I get to choose what printer I want to use...I'm assuming I have to get rid of those first? What do I do after I delete them so I can export the publications?

John_...@adobeforums.com

Dec 3, 2003, 6:14:13 AM12/3/03
Hi, Lisa,

> "Exporting a PDF file requires a PostScript Printer driver. Please install
one." I'm not quite sure how to do that...I don't have a printer at all,

You don't need a printer; you just need the driver.

Full details at: 2. Install the Adobe Postscript Driver <http://www.johndavies.mersinet.co.uk/exportpdf/installpsdriver.htm>

I've also posted up Lesson 3 from PageMaker CiaB at: 7. Demonstration of PageMaker's Export… Adobe PDF… <http://www.johndavies.mersinet.co.uk/exportpdf/demo.htm>

There's more FAQs about creating PDFs from PM at: <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.ef8500f>

Iechyd da! John
11:13 03/12/03 GMT

John_...@adobeforums.com

Dec 3, 2003, 6:33:35 AM12/3/03
Hi, Swami,

> However, when I open some publications it states it cannot find the
bold font or the italic font.

That sounds like the bold and italic fonts are *not* installed.
If PM can not find the bold and italic fonts, it will create faux bold and italics.

Have a look at this FAQ: Donald Gruener "5.10 - Bold, Italic, & Bold Italic" 7/26/02 4:33pm </cgi-bin/webx?14@@.ef9e14b/0>

Iechyd da! John
11:33 03/12/03 GMT

Swami_...@adobeforums.com

Dec 3, 2003, 1:10:24 PM12/3/03
Hi John,
I did read that thread earlier, but the question remains - how can I confirm if they are installed. I did use atm font mgr 4.1 to load the fonts into the c:/ folders as mentioned above - so shouldnt the bold and italic be installed withe other fonts listed? Why do they work for some pubs and not for others? Do you suggest I reinstall them from scratch? Thanks

John_...@adobeforums.com

Dec 3, 2003, 1:31:45 PM12/3/03
Hi, Swami,

> so shouldnt the bold and italic be installed withe other fonts listed?

They will be listed separately in ATM.
You should see something like this.

Iechyd da! John
18:31 03/12/2003 GMT

Swami_...@adobeforums.com

Dec 3, 2003, 4:29:52 PM12/3/03
Yes, using 4.1 - under the Fonts tab/ it says destination, and it lists all my fonts. I could show you a similar picture but dont know how to paste the picture into this thread. What to do? Thanks

sandy_...@adobeforums.com

Dec 4, 2003, 9:36:02 AM12/4/03
If you look under the font list tab, do all variations have check marks? Are there any red Xs (suggesting the font is incorrectly installed)?

If you want to post a screenshot, you'll have to create a screenshot file using something like Hijack or Corel Capture and then post it to a webpage somewhere. Then you have to type code for the image source. < img src="http://yourwebsite.com/images/filename.jpg" > without the spaces before/after the < >s.

Swami_...@adobeforums.com

Dec 4, 2003, 10:38:03 AM12/4/03
Thanks Sandy,
In 4.1 there is no check mark/red x options. Perhaps I should get the deluxe version?
Here is a screenshot.

sandy_...@adobeforums.com

Dec 4, 2003, 10:39:39 AM12/4/03
Oh. I assumed you were using deluxe. Don't know too much about lite. And I don't see your screenshot.

John_...@adobeforums.com

Dec 4, 2003, 10:42:56 AM12/4/03
Hi, Sandy,

This should do it, though it's not very legible.

Iechyd da! John
15:42 04/12/03 GMT

Swami_...@adobeforums.com

Dec 4, 2003, 10:46:39 AM12/4/03
I've just fixed the jpg and I see John also fixed it too. Any suggestions based on this software or do you think the deluxe version will fix the issue? Thanks

John_...@adobeforums.com

Dec 4, 2003, 11:28:07 AM12/4/03
Hi, Swami,

I'm afraid I can't read the names of the installed fonts.

Iechyd da! John
16:28 04/12/2003 GMT

Swami_...@adobeforums.com

Dec 4, 2003, 12:32:39 PM12/4/03
John,
I dont know how to get the picture clearer.
Under the Font Tab it says destination and below that is the list of fonts. They are a set of Sanskrit and Romanized Sanskrit fonts.
SkTimes
SkTimes ital
SkTimes bold
SkTimes bold ital
Maharastra
Maharastra ital
Maharastra bold
Maharastra bold ital

Under the settings tab the fonts are directed to a folder c:\PSFONTS and its subfolder \PFM. They show up in PM7. SOmetimes on opening certain files it cannot find the bold or ital versions. Other pubs seem to be ok. The printer cannot find the ital or bold fonts either in the pdfs I send them.

Any suggestion how to get PM7 to read these or will getting the ATM deluxe version fix the problem?
Thanks

Dominic...@adobeforums.com

Dec 4, 2003, 5:05:20 PM12/4/03
I doubt ATM Deluxe will solve the problem, unless it's a case of having too many fonts active. And that doesn't seem to be the case from your screenshot. Do you have a huge number of TrueType fonts installed? When making PDFs do you use Distiller? If so, have you added the c:\ps fonts folder to the fonts location?

Are you 100 per cent sure the missing fonts in the problem files are exactly the same as the ones you have, not just ones with similar names?

Have you tried removing the problem fonts and reinstalling them and also deleting any adobefnt.lst files on your system (this doesn't do a lot but it can sometimes help)?

Swami_...@adobeforums.com

Dec 4, 2003, 6:20:04 PM12/4/03
Dominic,
A great many thanks. I did have to add the c:\psfonts to the distiller fonts location. The distiller shows missing fonts, but they are not the ones in question, so it looks like the fonts I want are getting in properly. This clears up the clouds here. :)