Re: ID CS2 change language of whole document

C...@adobeforums.com

Aug 3, 2006, 4:58:10 PM8/3/06
I just need the whole file to be set to French. How do I do that instead of having to mark every text box to change the language?

CP1

Dave_S...@adobeforums.com

Aug 3, 2006, 5:07:25 PM8/3/06
If you used paragraph styles for your text, change the style definitions.

Dave

Scott_...@adobeforums.com

Aug 3, 2006, 6:31:17 PM8/3/06
If you didn't, change the definition for Basic Style

Kielipuoli

Aug 4, 2006, 6:03:52 AM8/4/06
"How do I do that instead of having to mark every text box to change
the language?"

With or without paragraph styles, it should always be enough if you
just change the language of [Basic Paragraph]. Also, if you change the
language of the Basic Paragraph without having any document open, all
your new documents will be in that language (unless they are based on a
template that uses another language).

M_Bla...@adobeforums.com

Aug 4, 2006, 10:36:19 AM8/4/06
You can also simply go into a story, select all, and change the language in the character palette.

If your copy was styled – and free of other modifications – you could then move your cursor through each paragraph and use the keyboard shortcut for Redefine Style to udpate your style sheets.

pha...@adobeforums.com

Aug 6, 2006, 6:42:43 PM8/6/06
If youre file has many stories, and you want to change the language for all of the stories, just choose 'find/change'.
Leave the 'find what' and 'change to' boxes empty.
In 'Search', choose 'document' or 'All Documents'.
Also leave the 'find format Settings' empty.
In the 'change format settings' box, choose 'Format...' > Advanced Character Formats' > Language.
Choose your language (i.e. French, I suppose...)
Now choose the button 'Change All'.
There you are.

Piece of cake, no?

Hope it helps.

L.L.

danie...@adobeforums.com

Nov 14, 2006, 3:45:14 PM11/14/06
Hi Phaedra,

I have the same problem of the person who posted the original message in this thread.

I carefully followed your instructions to change the language of all the stories, but after selecting the language in the Advanced Character Formats window and pressing OK, I go back to the Find/Change window and the Change All button is disabled. (On top of the "Change to" field in the Find/Change dialoh there is a little yellow triangle with an exclamation point. If I place the pointer on top, it says "Replace format exists".) Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

Daniel

Dave_S...@adobeforums.com

Nov 14, 2006, 4:01:43 PM11/14/06
Daniel,

Have you click the Show Options button in Find/Change to see what formats you're applying?

Dave

danie...@adobeforums.com

Nov 14, 2006, 4:15:09 PM11/14/06
Dave,

Thanks for your post.

There is no "Show options" button in the Find/Change dialog box.

However, I have just been able to solve the problem. Instead of leaving the Find Format Settings box empty, as suggested by Phaedra, I chose the source language (Spanish) there. And, of course, the target language (English) in Change Format Settings. And it worked.

But I'm still curious about the "Show options" button, which I don't see in the Find/change dialog box. There is only a Fewer Options/More Options button.

Daniel

Dave_S...@adobeforums.com

Nov 14, 2006, 4:21:08 PM11/14/06
Ah, Fewer/More that's the one I was talking about. The triangle you mentioned indicates that you have made settings there, so I wanted to be sure you knew about them.

Dave

danie...@adobeforums.com

Nov 14, 2006, 4:26:44 PM11/14/06
Thank you very much, Dave.

Daniel

Shrey Shrey

Feb 12, 2024, 5:02:29 PMFeb 12
Thanks Daniel, this is the exact solution that I was looking for!