The Shack Movie

Mattie Manners

Dec 6, 2023, 7:50:20 PM12/6/23
As an adult he has a fulfilling life with his wife, Nan, and their three children: Kate, Josh and Missy. Mack's life is shattered when their youngest child Missy disappears during a camping trip while he is saving Kate and Josh during a canoeing accident. The police determine Missy is the victim of a serial killer after finding her torn dress and blood in a derelict cabin in the forest (the titular "shack"). Kate blames herself for Missy's death because she caused the canoe accident in the first place.

The Shack Movie
Download Zip https://urllio.com/2wIKZg

The tragedy derails Mack's faith and life until the onset of winter when he receives an unstamped, typewritten note inviting him to meet at the shack. The message is signed "Papa" (which was Missy's nickname for God). Thinking this may possibly be an opportunity for meeting and punishing the serial killer, Mack takes his gun, borrows his friend's SUV, and drives there, narrowly avoiding a collision with a truck on the way. Finding the shack empty, an enraged Mack is tempted to shoot himself; before he can, he encounters a mysterious figure, who leads him to the trio of strangers who invite him to stay at their house nearby.

Finally able to move beyond his grief and his faith restored, he leaves the trio and sets out to return home to his family. However, he encounters the truck from before and collides with it, waking up in a hospital. The friend from whom he borrowed the SUV tells him he never reached the shack, having crashed on the way there. Later on, Mack tells Nan about what he saw on his journey and convinces Kate that whatever happened on the canoe wasn't her fault. The film ends with Mack attending church again with his family, as the audience is left to decide whether the events that happened at the shack were real.

Peter Sobczynski of RogerEbert.com gave the film 1.5 stars out of 4, saying it is "both too innocuous and too off-putting for its own good".[21] Adam Graham of The Detroit News said it "feels like an overly long church sermon".[22] The A.V. Club said, "Most of its running time is taken with mollifying conversations between Mack and the movie's New Age-meets-Bible Belt oversimplifications of the Holy Trinity. It fits right into a long tradition of quasi-mystical pseudo-parables."[23]

Owen Glieberman from Variety said the following about the film: "'The Shack' has a real chance to connect commercially, because even though its drama is mushy, at heart it's a bit of a theme-park ride: the movie in which you get to know what it's like to hang out with God and make friends with Jesus. In life, religion isn't nearly so reassuring. It's daunting, and our culture is starved for films that portray religious feeling in a way that's both reverent and truthful. 'The Shack' isn't one of them; it reduces faith to a kind of spiritual comfort food. But thanks, in part, to movies like this one, maybe that's what faith is on its way to becoming."[24]

The day The Shack sold its hundred thousandth copy, it became likely there would be a movie adaption. The day it sold its millionth, it became practically guaranteed. And, sure enough, it comes to theaters March 3, starring Sam Worthington, Octavia Spencer, and Tim McGraw.SponsorShow Your Support Become a Patron

Among critics of the film is Southern Baptist Theological Seminary President R. Albert Mohler Jr. If the movie is anything like the book, he says, it is dangerous in its false portrayal of the Holy Spirit, even though the book is a fictional fantasy.

The movie is set in Oregon but was filmed in Canada. The beautiful cinematography showcases the outdoors as a mystical backdrop to God, who is our benevolent creator, loving redeemer, and joyful sanctifier.

Based on the best-selling novel by author William P. Young, The Shack tells the story of Mack Phillips (Sam Worthington) who, after suffering a family tragedy, goes on a spiritual journey that takes him to an abandoned shack deep in the wilderness. While there, he encounters the enigmatic Papa (Octavia Spencer), who helps him look inside of himself to overcome the deep depression and crisis of faith that he is facing, changing his life forever.

SPENCER: I read the book independently of any movie talk. I read the book a few years ago. I am one of the legion of fans. When I heard that Gil and Lani Netter were thinking about making a movie of it, I went there to convince Gil why I needed to be Papa.

After a mysterious invitation, Mack travels to the site of the murder years before. The dilapidated shack in the snowy mountains magically turns into a beautiful summer cabin by a lake. There, Mack meets the members of the Trinity, the three divine persons in one God worshipped by Christians.

In a 2008 New York Times interview, Young described the shack as a metaphor for "the house you build out of your own pain." During Mack's conversations with God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit, he confronts questions about free will and forgiveness.

The Shack delivers significant messages about God in a world desperately looking and longing for answers. Does this story provoke valid, even significant theological concerns? Clearly, it does. But just as Mack was led in the film to discover more about God in his Gideon Bible, hopefully movie goers will respond the same way to the big-screen adaptation of The Shack.

Secondly, if you're uptight about two women playing two persons of the Trinity, what about all the art that depicts Jesus as white? Or the fact that in the movies, Jesus is usually not played by a Middle Eastern Jew?

At one point Papa even denies having "wrath," which I had a big problem with. Have you read Revelation? The movie never explicitly denies the existence of hell, and I'm not sure the author or screenwriter intended to. But that one line of dialogue comes a little too close.

Online, the movie, which opened in theaters Friday, earned praise for its unconventional plot. The book has already sold 20 million copies and has been translated into dozens of languages. For nearly two years, it remained on the New York Times best-seller list.

Mack (Sam Worthington) is dealing with the loss of his daughter. Then the grieving father receives a mysterious invitation to return to the shack where she was murdered -- from someone claiming to be God! This movie is based on a Christian novel by William Paul Young.

The years have passed and now Mack has a lovely family and wonderfully supportive wife (Radha Mitchell). But when he takes his three kids for a camping trip, a seemingly inconsolable event occurs. After rescuing his son and older daughter (Gage Munroe, Megan Charpentier) from a canoeing accident, he returns to their campsite and discovers his youngest daughter (Amelie Eve) is missing. An exhaustive search eventually reveals her blood-stained clothes in an abandoned shack far into the woods.

Thanks to A-list actors and a carefully crafted script, which is based on the incredibly popular novel by William Paul Young, The Shack comes across as a sincere offering to the many of us who are dealing with our own life-long scars and grudges. Just be prepared to become far more personally engaged with this movie than most other cinematic experiences.

Finally arriving at the snow covered and long abandoned shack, Mack flies into a rage of pain and anger. But as he sets out to head back to his car, he meets a young man heading to what must be another cabin in the woods. On invitation, and out of curiosity, Mack follows the young man. Suddenly, the snow is gone and Mack finds himself walking a path in a sun-drenched forest laden with flowers and beauty. And then he and the young man come upon a cabin where he meets a young woman and a more mature African-American woman who goes by the name Papa.

I still dislike the movie and the book. But my conversation with my mother about the movie helped me realize the downsides of always leading with suspicion. Vulnerability and humility are dangerous but important virtues to practice in a time when authoritarian figures and aspiring demagogues are preying on our divisions and lack of trust. These people rise to power when mistrust is high. It sets up a vicious cycle; their very existence exacerbates the mistrust because they truly cannot be trusted.

So how can we build new networks of trust and vulnerability at a time when we need to resist liars and spin doctors? In my conversation with my mom, she never questioned my take on the movie. I am the one that tried to poke clever but gentle holes in her viewpoint.

This scenario likely does not present a difficult decision. Reasonable people do not ingest food that can possibly kill them. Yet, this cake dilemma mirrors the one faced with the movie version of The Shack, a movie that has some positive external aspects but is filled with harmful theology. It presents the same questions:

The storyline in the movie stays generally true to that of the novel. Thus, the movie follows Mack as he journeys from great pain to joy and forgiveness in the Lord. The makers do an excellent job of conveying the huge loss suffered by Mack and his family. The horror and sheer randomness of such a grievous crime occurring to a loving family are palpable. It comes through to such an extent that I cried along with them.

Mack and his kids go from idyllic family camping fun to mourning over a too small and too empty coffin. The grief would be unimaginable. The movie does a good job of showing how it tears apart the surviving members. Mack and his wife appear to be barely holding it together. The two surviving children appear greatly troubled. Mack is covered with grief and filled with anger. It comes through in everything he does.

Some of the parts were very confusing and unsettling.1)no man sees the face of God and lives 2)the sacrifice of Jesus was diminutive .
3)if God intended us to understand him the way this movie portrayed it we would lose all faith and trust and the desire to move towards him.
eebf2c3492