2 A4 thumnails on A3 Paper and Printers marks?

HIcks

May 13, 2003, 9:18:15 AM5/13/03
I want to print both sides of an A4 document set up in Indesign on 1 side of an A3 peaice of paper showing all the printers marks.

Am I able to do this in indeign?

Ken Grace

May 13, 2003, 11:17:06 AM5/13/03
You can do it in InDesign by making the two sides of the page a spread
(insert a dummy pages 1 and they become pp 2 and 3).

But I doubt if you can do it on your printer. If your pages are true A4, and
you are printing to a true A3, your printers marks will be outside the
printable area of your paper.

HIcks

May 15, 2003, 4:13:02 AM5/15/03
Thanks Ken, however I am not sure what you mean. I am new to indesign. How do I make a spread and what do you mean dummyu pages 1 and they become pp2 and 3?

The printer I have is a A3+ so it can print true A3 with printer marks.

Thanks for your help ken

Ken Grace

May 15, 2003, 5:44:19 AM5/15/03
When you set up your document you have the opportunity to create it with
single pages, or with facing pages. Set it to facing pages. If you only have
two pages in the document, there will be no dramatic difference, because
there is no facing page to page 1, and with only two pages, there will only
be a single page showing for page 2. But if you add a blank page at the
start so that this becomes page 1, then the original page 1 gets shunted
back to page 2, the original page 2 becomes page 3, and as you have facing
pages selected, you will see pages 2 and 3 together. You can then print
these as a single A3 page.

But.

You said you wanted to print printers marks from the A4 page. While your
printer is A3+, how big is the paper? If it's A3 paper you can print two A4
pages on it. But as printers marks are outside the A4 area, I don't see how
they are going to fit on the A3 sheet.

HIcks

May 15, 2003, 6:58:58 AM5/15/03
Ken,

The printer I use prints A3+ which is Halfway between A3 and A2. This means I can print a hole A3 document on an A3+ paper with all the crop marks etc.

I have done what you said but on the printout I got just one set of printer marks for both pages. I was hoping that there was a way to print a set of printer marks for each individule page on 1 sheet of A3+ paper. Is there?

HIcks

May 15, 2003, 7:16:58 AM5/15/03
Ken,

The answer you gave me works for the question I asked but what I didn't mention was that both A4 pages have bleeds. That is why I was asking for individual crop marks and printer marks on both A4 pages that I would like printed on an A3+ piece of paper. Sorry if I didnt explain myself very well.

Is this posssible do you think? anyone?

Jens Schulze

May 15, 2003, 10:35:03 AM5/15/03
"HIcks"wrote:

> The answer you gave me works for the question I asked but what I
> didn't mention was that both A4 pages have bleeds. That is why I
> was asking for individual crop marks and printer marks on both A4
> pages that I would like printed on an A3+ piece of paper. Sorry if I
> didnt explain myself very well.

No, you can't get individual marks for each page when you print it as an
entire spread, the marks are for the spread as an unit.
So I think you will place two pages that have a gap to each other, more than
6 milimetres? Then have a look at Olav Kverns Script "Crop Marks" on
http://share.studio.adobe.com/axAssetDetailSubmit.asp?aID=4875 - group the
objects of one page to an object, place it on a page with the size of your
A3+ paper, and apply the Script. Maybe it works for you. Or you can print
each single page out as PDF with crop marks and place these PDFs into a new
A3+ document. This sounds like some work, but you want a layout programm to
do the work an imposition programm wants to do, but I think my approach is
usable.

Jens

Ken Grace

May 15, 2003, 11:43:43 AM5/15/03
Sorry, I should have thought about the bleed situation.

So what you actually want is to have a river of white between the two pages
to show both sets of bleed marks.

All I can suggest here is that once you've finalised your pages you increase
your document page size to A4 + your bleed. That way when your pages are
side by side your actual pages will be separated because they are floating
in oversize layout pages.

But you will only get one set of marks when you print. You could always draw
them in yourself.

HIcks

May 16, 2003, 3:51:58 AM5/16/03
:) already thought of drawing them in my self.

Anyway, thank for your help Ken. I new is was gonna take time to do. I was hoping that there was just a setting in the print window.

Never mind. Take it easy

Jens Schulze

May 16, 2003, 4:48:47 AM5/16/03
"HIcks" wrote:

> Anyway, thank for your help Ken. I new is was gonna take time to do.
> I was hoping that there was just a setting in the print window.

Have you tried my approach with printing the sinlge pages with bleed and
crop marks to a PDF file and then place them on a A3+ sheet? That would save
your time of drawing and positioning you own crop marks.

Jens