Inverting page numbers for Japanese readers

Raffaele Cingottini

Sep 3, 2003, 12:23:08 PM9/3/03
Halo everyone,

I need to create a booklet for the japanese market and everyone knows that in the country of the rising sun the reading is "inverted" so that our last age is the first one and viceversa. InDesign lets you automate the page numbering... but how can I invert it???

Thanks a lot in advance.

Marco Antonio SantaMaria

Sep 3, 2003, 6:56:53 PM9/3/03
I believe the Japanese version of Indesign can actually accomplish this. I hope I am not mistaken.

Marilyn Langfeld

Sep 3, 2003, 11:46:04 PM9/3/03
If not, you could always make a final print pdf and reorder your pages as needed.

Raffaele Cingottini

Sep 4, 2003, 10:00:20 AM9/4/03
Thanks a lot... but the two answers don't suit me at the moment... What I really need is something that let me invert the auto page numbering in my document... Note that I use a western version (Italian) of InDesign 2.0.2...

Maybe a script?

Marco Antonio SantaMaria

Sep 4, 2003, 10:15:02 AM9/4/03
You might need to ask in the script forum more than here. In addition, I do not think it is just the page numbers you are concerned, text also should flow from right to left; and depdending how you are typesetting top to bottom. But hope you can find a solution to ur dilema.

Raffaele Cingottini

Sep 4, 2003, 10:43:41 AM9/4/03
I got a similar answer in that forum :-) My "trouble" is limited just to the page numbering... Imagine a photo catalogue: every page is a picture with a title (in english, so I don't need to write in japanese, nor to write from right to left) and a page number a the bottom... Ok, I could place the page number manually, but in a catalogue of hundreds of pics...

Marco Antonio SantaMaria

Sep 4, 2003, 5:55:59 PM9/4/03
what if you create a pdf with the same amount of pages you have in your document with automatic poage numbering, then import the pages in reverse order.

i know it is not what you expected, but at least is an idea. hopefully someone will help with an script.

Srange that in the Script forum they asked you to ask here when some of them are the Gurus of scritping.