deleting a locked (idlk) File

jmly...@adobeforums.com

Mar 4, 2009, 4:10:11 PM3/4/09
I have a few files that for some reason are locked and can not be opened or deleted. I tried a process through the terminal with a series of code but the multiple combinations i tried came back with no results.
Any one know how to cure this problem.
Thank You

Daniel Tomasch

Mar 5, 2009, 10:11:20 AM3/5/09
Are you talking about files that are named something like this?

~x0928 acc central ~8q9ncp.idlk

These files have to do with InDesign's ability to track when a file is open; there's a great thread about it here: <http://indesignsecrets.com/can-i-open-an-indesign-lock-idlk-file.php>

jmly...@adobeforums.com

Mar 12, 2009, 2:18:22 PM3/12/09
Yes the files are .idlk files but the original file is stuck open somewhere in the system and can not be closed or opened I need to find a way to force the document closed in order to not have it stuck open on the system forever.

Peter...@adobeforums.com

Mar 13, 2009, 10:24:19 AM3/13/09
Since you're on Mac, you can use unix command-line commands in the Terminal application to delete file. One way is to change permissions on it to Read/Write; then you can delete it as usual, in Finder. Another is to become the root user in Terminal and delete it with a delete command.

If you're not unix-savvy, search Google for change file permissions on mac os x darwin with terminal, and similar phrases.

Darwin is the name of the OS X flavor of unix.

HTH

Regards,

Peter Gold
KnowHow ProServices

Tom Usrey

Mar 13, 2009, 12:06:24 PM3/13/09
Since you think the original files are still open, why not Restart the computer?

Richard_...@adobeforums.com

Mar 15, 2009, 1:46:47 PM3/15/09
Reboot and delete the ildk file. Then the main file should open again.