Error Loading Plugins!

Megan Bossler

Dec 12, 2002, 7:23:19 AM12/12/02
When I run Adobe Illustrator, I get an error message saying "Error Loading Plugins!" and it lists 2 .aip files. I checked for them in the plugins folder to make sure they were correctly named, but they just aren't there. What I don't understand is AI runs anyway, but under "Filters," it just says "No Filters." I guess Illustrator isn't loading any of the plugins... this is the first time I've used it... any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ian A. Wright

Dec 12, 2002, 11:53:00 AM12/12/02
Megan:

Can I assume you're working with Illustrator 9.0.x? The error message: "ARTONPATH.AIP does not exist in the expected location and cannot be updated.” This is a required file for the Adobe Illustrator 9.0.2 update. Find the files ArtOnPath.aip & Scatter Brush Tool.aip, notice the capitalization and spacing for these two files. Name them exactly.

I recommend you do a complete, clean re-install of the application and any upgrades. Simply re-installing or even un-installing and re-installing may not be sufficient. First off, use Windows add-remove programs, then check for any left-over files or folders and remove those. Then remove any .TMP files on your drive(s) and do a disk de-frag. Then shut your computer down. When you re-start do so in safe or VGA mode -- or at least make sure no TSRs start. (like virus scans or screen savers) Use Control –Alt-Delete to bring up TASK LIST, then one by one, END TASK everything on the list except Explorer and Systray. Then do a complete install as administrator from the original CD-ROM from Adobe and then any upgrades.

Megan Bossler

Dec 12, 2002, 5:33:40 PM12/12/02
Okay...I DID find those files, and they're already named exactly as you said they were supposed to be. So I guess I'll go for the uninstall and reinstall now, plus everything you recommended.

Megan Bossler

Dec 12, 2002, 5:28:36 PM12/12/02
I'm using v10, sorry about that. And the message simply says "Error loading plugins" and lists those 2 .aip files...and I couldn't seem to find them anywhere in the files. I'll try this... thanks.

Megan Bossler

Dec 12, 2002, 5:40:26 PM12/12/02
I am just running AI for the first time...I have a toolbar with a pen, hand tool, scizzors, arrows, etc., but where is the pencil and all the others? I looked under 'Window' but nothing seems to work. Thanks.

Megan Bossler

Dec 12, 2002, 5:40:26 PM12/12/02
Nevermind -- figured it out & found it. Let me see if this works! Thanks.

Ian A. Wright

Dec 15, 2002, 11:14:32 AM12/15/02
Megan:

I've moved your other Topic to join this one already in progress since they both deal with installation issues, I believe. Let me know if a clean re-install works for you ...

Philip Peterson

Dec 12, 2002, 10:38:54 AM12/12/02
Try deleteing the hidden file aiprefs that usually helps in problems like this, and the file will be automatically rebuilt when you restart illustrator.

Megan Bossler

Dec 12, 2002, 5:36:07 PM12/12/02
Where do I find the hidden file...?

Ashkan Zahiri

Jan 19, 2003, 11:35:48 AM1/19/03
Hi there,
Im having the EXACT same problem, only this isnt my first time using illustrator. Every description mentioned by Megan fits with my problem.
May i ask where i can find the aiprefs file? i looked in every illustrator folder and the hidden files, didnt see such a thing.
My problem with this is that i have an illustration i have been working on for sometime and Illustrator doesnt allow me to save! i refused to shutdown the computer for 3 days now looking for a solution. your help would be appreciated.

BobHill

Jan 19, 2003, 12:29:54 PM1/19/03
Ashkan,

Do a Control F, then in the options be sure to check SHOW HIDDED FOLDERS/FILES, the type in AIPrefs, including your operating system drive (usually C:) to look in. This should show you where your AIPrefs file is, but you can Delete it directly from here and that'll work too.

Bob

Ashkan Zahiri

Jan 19, 2003, 1:34:18 PM1/19/03
I believe i tried this at first...with show hidden files enabled, it returned no results, but this time it did! i deleted it, and i think the changes will occur the next time i start the program, BUT i still have this document open which i dont want to dispose of. Is there any emergency recovery program or any solution for me to temporarily store these information until the next restart?

Ashkan Zahiri

Jan 19, 2003, 1:25:40 PM1/19/03

Ian A. Wright

Jan 19, 2003, 7:22:11 PM1/19/03
Ashkan:

Have you tried Save As? Do those filenames or paths include extended characters? Try saving to C:\TEMP\TEST.AI as a test. What exact version of Illustrator X.X.X are you using? There were save problems which were fixed by patches to 9.0.2 and 10.0.3 available from Adobe downloads.