Illustrator 10 stuck in Loading startup settings...

CarlosAlfaro

Mar 1, 2003, 3:52:51 AM3/1/03
My illustrator 10 is not working it gets stuck in the spash screen in Loading startup settings..., ive found that when i disconnect my network cable it works fine but when i get a internet connection it fails again when i try to load it. I've read other posts about deleting the prefs or deleting the adobefnt*.lst i've done everything even reinstall illustrator but its not working i have the 10.0.3 version (the latest) , ive detected that the same problem is happening with my photoshop 7 and if i disconnect from the network it works fine. thanks a lot

Bob Rubey

Mar 1, 2003, 9:52:08 AM3/1/03
Carlos:

It appears that you're half way to solving your problem. I had a similar problem that was solved by changing the default printer to a local printer (I use Distiller) before launching AI. You could also change the network printer's port to file. Your post also seems to imply an "always-on" internet connection, and somewhere in the posts I seem to recall something about disabling Adobe Online. Perhaps someone else can provide those details.

Bob

CarlosAlfaro

Mar 1, 2003, 2:56:01 PM3/1/03
Thanks a lot Bob it worked perfect, it only takes 40 seconds to load instead of 20 minutes, thanks againg

Bob Rubey

Mar 1, 2003, 6:31:42 PM3/1/03
You're welcome. Glad to help.

Ian A. Wright

Mar 2, 2003, 8:43:33 PM3/2/03
Bob:

Good one!

Bob Rubey

Mar 2, 2003, 9:05:54 PM3/2/03
Ian:

I'm seeing this same problem or similar posted frequently. Do you know if there's an FAQ on this? Is Adobe aware of the problem?

Bob

Ian A. Wright

Mar 3, 2003, 8:25:38 AM3/3/03
Bob:

Are you running WinXP? When you try to view the online Help in an Adobe application in Windows XP, online Help doesn't open, or you receive an error such as "The procedure entry point ACEList could not be located in the dynamic link library ace.dll." Take a look at <http://www.adobe.com/knowledgebase/327280> Have a look at this document for six solutions: <http://www.adobe.com>:80/support/techdocs/273de.htm as well.

Bob Rubey

Mar 3, 2003, 6:06:06 PM3/3/03
Ian:

Huh? I was just wondering about the network printer as default problem some of us have experienced—see original post and reply. And in my case, the problem occured on Win2K SP2, I think with both versions 9 and 10 though I didn't figure it out till 10. I see from other posts that you've answered that sometimes the slow startup is the result of a large ADOBEFNT.LST file.

It's not a huge issue, my apps are behaving at the moment. I was just curious. :-D

Bob

Ian A. Wright

Mar 3, 2003, 11:56:11 PM3/3/03
Bob:

I assumed your problem, like Carlos' was related to networking and Internet access. My mistake.

Corrupt fonts or damaged ADOBEFNT*.LST files can cause slow startups. If you have colour management installed move any ICM's that are not being used to a sub-folder within the WINDOWS\SYSTEM\COLOUR, this way, instead of loading 30mb of unneeded info, you only load a couple of meg. You should reduce the number of installed and active fonts on your system to around 100. This is best done using Adobe Type Manager Deluxe to create "font packs" that you can switch in and out as needed.

Joel Stransky

Mar 4, 2003, 6:51:21 PM3/4/03
Check out my FAQ at Tek-Tips.com, might help some. I gotta try shutting off Adobe Online, anyone know how to do that?
<http://www.tek-tips.com/faqs.cfm?spid=226&sfid=1989>

Moises Esquenazi

Mar 5, 2003, 4:35:51 PM3/5/03
I have the same problem- AI 10 just hangs at "loading startup settings" on Mac OS X- I have an always-on internet connection through wireless- when I turn it off- AI launches fine. I removed the Adobe Online plug-in, and turned off Workgroup options in the preferences- but whenever my interent connection is on, AI won't launch. Anyone know how to fix this? I've also erased the preferences...

Ian A. Wright

Mar 5, 2003, 8:53:16 PM3/5/03
Moises:

This is the Illustrator_Win Forum so if your issue is with OSX you might want to post this in the Illustrator_Mac Forum.

Laurie Salopek

Mar 6, 2003, 2:22:42 PM3/6/03
I have been battling a Photoshop/Illustrator error for MONTHS! The error message is cryptic (about not being able to read/write memory). My C++ package says a exception is not being handled. I've defragged my HDD. I've uninstalled/reinstalled and still the problem returns.

After reading your post I looked over at my other PC and realized it was off. Meaning I can not access my printer (it is connected to that PC). So, I turned on the PC and after it booted I tried Illustrator again and IT WORKED!!

How do I tell Adobe to put a damn catch in for the exception in both Illustrator and Photoshop to deal with a networked default printer when it is not available??

Anyway.. thanks to everyone for posting to this thread. It has been a MAJOR HELP!

Thanks

Ian A. Wright

Mar 6, 2003, 7:27:06 PM3/6/03
Laurie:

Can you install a generic PostScript printer driver and PPD (like for Adobe Distiller) and make that the default Windows printer? That way Illustrator will find an active printer on startup. Of course, you'll have to switch to the real printer and start up the other computer when you do actually print stuff.