AICS "initializing plugins" startup FREEZE... please help

san...@adobeforums.com

Dec 11, 2003, 9:26:51 AM12/11/03
Hello all,

I installed Illustrator CS a few weeks ago, worked great until yesterday. It won't load anymore, the splash screen comes up and the whole thing freezes at:

"Initializing plugins...illustrator.exe"

I have not changed anything before this problem...

Tried to fix it by:
-complete un-install
-New install
-No third party plugins
-minimum fonts
-Deleted AdobeFNT.lst
-AIprefs
-Even un-installed Photoshop and Acrobat

Please help.
I don't know what to do anymore...and I do not want to format my hard drive!

thanks for all responses
Sandra

Ian_A....@adobeforums.com

Dec 11, 2003, 12:13:05 PM12/11/03
Sandra:

I recommend you do a complete, clean re-install of the application and any upgrades. For the newer versions of Windows like Windows NT, 2000, or XP make sure you log in as administrator. Simply re-installing or even un-installing and re-installing may not be sufficient. First off, use Windows add-remove programs to uninstall the application, then check for any left-over files or folders and remove those. Then remove any .TMP files on your drive(s) and do a disk de-frag. Then shut your computer down. When you re-start do so in safe or VGA mode -- or at least make sure no TSRs start. (like virus scans or screen savers) For earlier versions of Windows like Windows 95, 98, or ME use Control –Alt-Delete to bring up TASK LIST, then one by one, END TASK everything on the list except Explorer and Systray. In all Windows versions do a complete install from the original CD-ROM from Adobe.

san...@adobeforums.com

Dec 12, 2003, 9:42:07 AM12/12/03
Hello Ian,

It still did not work, Illustrator just does not want to startup...

I re-installed Acrobat, having trouble with that also...

could it be a corrupted font problem ?

I guess I'm gonna have to format my hard drive!

thanks
Sandra

Ian_A....@adobeforums.com

Dec 13, 2003, 7:10:48 PM12/13/03
Sandra:

Before going to that last huge step of re-formatting, check that you deleted all ADOBEFNT*.LST files with all Adobe applications closed. Not the "*" in the name because there can be a number of these and the star indicates optional characters.

Check ALL your fonts. For TrueType fonts use Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Fonts and see if they were installed and display correctly. For Type One fonts use Adobe Type Manager Deluxe to check that the Type Ones were installed and display correctly. If any are corrupted, remove and replace from the original disks.