Pantone Colors don't match anymore???

Chelan

May 14, 2002, 12:55:35 PM5/14/02
Mike, Pantone revised their color libraries. The naming conventions and most of the CMYK percentages changed in the swatches.

Illustrator 9 contains the old Pantone libraries, and Illustrator 10 contains the new Pantone libraries.

Chelan

mikepoole

May 14, 2002, 12:49:34 PM5/14/02
Can anyone tell me why in ILL 10 the Pantone colors do not match the older versions (ie in ILL10 you see Pantone 286 C, and in ILL 9 you see Pantone 286 CV.) This is creating a problem when you import a graphic into quark that is also using the same color, now you end up with 2 plates of Pantone 286, whereas before 10 it worked just fine???.

HarkJohnny

May 15, 2002, 8:59:02 AM5/15/02
are you sure you are using consistent libraries?? i.e. not using Coated (CVC) in one app and Uncoated (CVU) in another?

Patty Schweitzer

May 17, 2002, 1:53:10 PM5/17/02
I am having a similar problem--the Pantone colors in my Illustrator program do not even come CLOSE to matching the Pantone Formula Guide that the print floor uses. I work at a company that masters CDs, replicates them, and prints the CD faces (labels). I am the Graphics Operator and use Illus. everyday. One of our cllients uses DIC colors (Japanese color system), so when I tried to match them with Pantones, what I chose from Illustrator's swatch library wasn't anywhere NEAR the Pantone color swatches in our book. Doesn't matter if I use coated or uncoated..they are not even close. Why?

john m willis

May 17, 2002, 8:33:28 PM5/17/02
We have this problem but also bought a new pantone book and I see from it that the values for colors have been changed. If we have to match the old book then the colors have to be altered. If the new book then okay, the new book. But different apps now treat the colors differently and frankly that is a bummer. The whole shop will have to switch to the new book eventually. Keep in mind that quark makes a mess out of PMS 873 to CMYK in vers 4 when vers 3 was okay. It's nothing new, just more crap for us all to handle. Don't you love this business?!

John Slate

May 18, 2002, 9:57:23 PM5/18/02
PMS 873, being a metallic is a tough nut no matter how you slice it. For one thing, how we see a metallic has everything to do with viewing angle and reflection, given ambient conditions.

I would presume that Pantone's new definitions are more accurate given that they are not limited to the percentages of the old "letter tints". More accurate, that is, based on SWOP standard, which is really not so much of a standard as one might think.

Mordy Golding

May 20, 2002, 12:36:27 PM5/20/02
If you have older Pantone books, and you want to match up to those colors (rather than Pantone's new color definitions), we've included those with Illustrator 10 as well. They can be found in the Adobe Illustrator 10 > Presets > Pantone Libraries Pre-2000 folder...

:) Mordy

Nicole Bratt

Jun 3, 2002, 5:28:49 PM6/3/02
Mike, We discovered this problem as well. We haven't been able to discover why, but we found a (pain-in-the-***) work around. Go back into your Ill 10 file(s), double click on the Pantone swatch and add the "V" to the end of the name. Resave, reimport/update in Quark, throw out the old name and it should only see the one PMS after that. I know it's not graceful, but we can hope for an update...Nicole

tman

Jun 3, 2002, 11:42:32 PM6/3/02
you can also redefine the color name..i.e. CV to C in quark (edit colors) saving a step or 2...it amazes me how many people put illus files in quark...and don't know all the 'quark' tricks...