Character format overrides

Tony Chu

Apr 18, 2018, 4:42:13 PM4/18/18
I am a new Framemaker user, using Framemaker 2015.

I wanted to see what Framemaker would do if I did "update all" on a character tag in the character designer while there were character format overrides in the text. But I wasn't able to create an override and I don't understand why....

Here's what I did:
- I have a character style called Emphasis which is AS IS except for the angle which is "italic"
- I applied the style to a sentence using the character catalog
- I highlighted two words in the sentence
- In the character designer for the Emphasis style I noticed that the fields were no longer "AS IS"...they reflected the properties of the highlighted text instead
- I changed the weight to bold and hit "Apply", expecting to create an override. The two words I highlighted changed to bold.
- But when I do a Find/Change looking for "character format overrides" I don't find any overrides.

I'm wondering why this isn't considered an override....? Any ideas? Is it because the style weight is "AS IS"?

As I said, I'm trying to see what FM does when I do an "update all" on a character tag while there are overrides in the text. I am expecting FM to come up with a dialog asking if I want to retain or remove overrides....but I can't seem to create an override to test this! I'd appreciate any opinions... thanks.