Change bars will not clear.

Tink Golamb

Apr 23, 2014, 5:29:48 PM4/23/14
I have a Frame file (I'm using 8) which will not keep the change bars cleared. I go through the usual procedure and clear them. They are gone. I save the file. When I make a pdf, lo and behold, the change bars show back up in the pdf. When I look back at the Frame file, the change bars are magically exactly as they were before I cleared them. I have done multiple tricks to try to get them to stayed cleared, but nothing I do makes any difference. They always reappear. I have resorted to making them white, with a 0 pt. width, only because I don't have anymore time to battle with it.
Is there some qwerky thing with Frame that causes this to happen? If clear the bars and retype the line, the change bar stays gone for that line. However, I'm not about to do that on a 300+ page document.
Give me a trick I haven't tried.

Ron

Apr 24, 2014, 2:34:41 PM4/24/14
Be sure to turn off auto change bars before you print; they might be
getting restored in your printing process. Do a Generate/Update to see
if they reappear. If that doesn't help...
Put the cursor in a paragraph with the change bar problem and then look
in the Default Font pane of the Paragraph Designer. If the Change Bars
checkbox is checked or in the Don't Care state, uncheck it and click
Update All.
If the change bars might be associated with a character style, click in
text with the suspected character style and do the same in the Character
Designer.
Does that help? This is all from memory; I don't have Frame running now.

--
_____________________________
Ron, the humblest guy in town

Tink Golamb

Apr 25, 2014, 10:19:52 AM4/25/14
On Wednesday, April 23, 2014 2:29:48 PM UTC-7, Tink Golamb wrote:
Nope. Thanks for your comments. I looked at all that, and what you said validates I checked other possibilities.
I can make them vanish, and as long as I have the file open, they appear to be gone. If I save and close the file, then just reopen it, the change bars are back.
If I turn them on and make a change in another line just above where there was none, I can see the new change bar added to the other ones. I save the file. I reopen it. All of the change bars are there. I clear all the change bars, save the file and close it. I reopen it once again. The change bar I added is now gone, but the original change bars I could not get rid of are all back, but the change bar I added is gone. It's like these change bars are permanently attached to these lines. Twilight Zone stuff.
If I make a MIF file and open it up in Notepad, I can probably find these, but I don't have that luxury, and I shouldn't have to resort to this. Maybe it's a bug.

asharp...@gmail.com

May 28, 2014, 10:58:57 AM5/28/14
I believe it's a bug. I've seen this issue ever since FrameMaker 4. I'm careful to use change tracking with the change bars turned off. My reviewers can still see the changes.