Can I reduce huge content streams?

p...@adobeforums.com

Mar 24, 2009, 8:55:52 AM3/24/09
I have got a PDF document here, 40 pages, 21 MB. Have been trying to reduce the size to something we can put on our website, but whatever I do I only manage to save a few MB.

After lots of searching I found the "Audit space usage" button, and I see our document contains 16 MB of "content streams".

My assumption is that this is mostly caused by some complicated floral decoration (made as vector graphics) that is on each page.

Is there anything I can do to reduce the size of our document? If the decorations are truly causing the file size, can I render them into low-res bitmaps in some way?

I only have the final PDF document, I don't have the original (Illustrator?) file. I do have access to the Adobe CS3 suite. (Adobe Pro, InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop.)

Jean

Mar 25, 2009, 3:55:10 AM3/25/09

I am not sure what you have tried so far to reduce the file by a few
MB, but here is what I would try in Acrobat Pro, keeping in mind that
I am not a graphic designer. I would go ahead a print the pdf to
another pdf using File/Print and choosing the Adobe PDF print driver.
In the Print dialog box you cab choose to downsample the images in the
resulting file which will make it smaller, as well as decrease the
number of versions the resulting file will be backwards compatible to
and look at the font embedding, both of which can make the file
smaller.

To accomplish the above, in the Print dialog box choose the Properties
button and go to the Adobe PDF settings. The default settings dropdown
button has pre-configured settings by Adobe, I am a little random here
without knowing the graphics but would select the Smallest File Size
option and click on Edit to review the settings pre-set for the
Smallest File Size option. The left shows different directories of
settings, the first is General, and I know that you want to make sure
there is a check in the box for Optimize for fast web viewing. The
Images setting is where you downsample the graphics. Without too much
expertise in this area, i always remember an instructor I had that
said to set each Image quality for each image type to High and change
all the pixels per inch numbers to 200. Maybe someone with a graphics
background could educate us here with more detail but I haven't run
into too many issues following her rule of thumb.

The next option is Fonts, and remove the checkboxes to embed the font
options, If you are sure that the pdf file posted on the website will
not be altered you don't need the fonts embedded, just double check
the final file and make sure there are no weird glyphs from missing
fonts.

I don't think the other tabs will help in reducing the file. Good luck
I hope this helps. If you know Photoshop it would not hurt to edit the
image using the Advanced Toolbar tool called Touch up Object tool
which should open the image in PS and then go ahead and select File/
Save for Web and devices and select a smaller file size but that can
get dicey if you don't know PS. Good luck - I hope this helps.

Jean

lkassuba

Mar 25, 2009, 10:52:23 AM3/25/09
Have you tried using the PDF Optimizer to reduce the file -- specifically in the area of Transparency?