Can Read and Print PDF file, but Can't Select or Copy ??

monir

Nov 26, 2010, 10:00:42 AM11/26/10
Hello;

1) I've Index.pdf (SECURED) ~ 150 KB file that I can read and/or print
with no problem, but can't select or copy selection.
The "Select Tool" and the "Snapshot Tool" are inactive.
(ADOBE READER 9, version 9.4.1)

2) By unlocking the file using Softonic PDF Unlocker 1.0.4 software, I
get the file Index_noPW.pdf .
All the Tools are now available, but the file is empty.
Unfortunately, the developer of the software doesn't reply to
inquiries (probably out of business!).

Can someone please advise on a possible remedy to try or help in
anyway ??

Thank you kindly.
Monir

David H. Lipman

Nov 26, 2010, 3:25:25 PM11/26/10
From: "monir" <mon...@rogers.com>

| Hello;

The security of the PDF was set to "content copying" not allowed" and thus you could not
select and copy text from the PDF.

I don't know anything about Softonic PDF Unlocker 1.0.4 software but it sounds like it
really didn't help.

--
Dave
Multi-AV Scanning Tool - http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

monir

Nov 26, 2010, 4:31:15 PM11/26/10
On Nov 26, 3:25 pm, "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nosp...@Verizon.Net>
wrote:
> From: "monir" <mon...@rogers.com>

Dave;

Thank you for your reply.

1) The confusing thing is that I was able to do everything with the
same PDF file, say a year ago, with an earlier version of Adobe
Reader.
Unfortunately, I don't recall what version it was.

2) Let us assume it was Adobe Reader 7.
Can I simply uninstall Adobe Reader 9.4.1 and re-install its earlier
version 7 ??
Assuming it is still available from Adobe, is it possible to do so, or
Adobe Systems will insist on installing the latest ??

Regards.
Monir

David H. Lipman

Nov 26, 2010, 7:31:52 PM11/26/10
From: "monir" <mon...@rogers.com>

| Dave;

If Security has been set on a given PDF, it doesn't matter which Adobe Reader version is
used, they will ALL limit one's ability based upon the security settings of said PDF.

monir

Nov 26, 2010, 10:25:30 PM11/26/10
On Nov 26, 7:31 pm, "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nosp...@Verizon.Net>
wrote:
> From: "monir" <mon...@rogers.com>

Dave;

I've had the same read-only PDF file for almost 5 yrs now. Its
security setting has never been checked, changed or even looked at!
All Adobe Reader Tools on that file were available till quite recently
(few months ago) when most of Tools were suddenly greyed out.

The only changes have been the updating of Adobe Reader from version
7.1 --> 8.2 --> 9.4.1 --> X.
If I'm not mistaken, the earlier versions of Adobe Reader didn't
require FileOpen.api, which I don't exactly know what it does. But
nevertheless it was not there earlier!

Any additional thoughts ??

Regards.
Monir

David H. Lipman

Nov 26, 2010, 11:12:45 PM11/26/10
From: "monir" <mon...@rogers.com>

| Dave;

| Any additional thoughts ??

7.1.0 --> 7.1.1 --> 7.1.2 --> 7.1.3 --> 7.1.4
7.1.4 was the last v7.x version 4th qtr '09

8.2.0 --> 8.2.1 --> 8.2.2 --> 8.2.3 --> 8.2.4 --> 8.2.5
not sure if v8.2.5 is the EoL

v9.4.1 and v10.0.0 were released at the same time.

Why would anyone need to open, re-open and open again the same PDF for 5 years ?
It would seem to me you would have extracted the needed information and placed it into a
secondary file long ago.

monir

Nov 27, 2010, 9:06:10 AM11/27/10
On Nov 26, 11:12 pm, "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nosp...@Verizon.Net>
wrote:
> From: "monir" <mon...@rogers.com>

Dave;

> 7.1.0 --> 7.1.1 --> 7.1.2 --> 7.1.3 --> 7.1.4

> 7.1.4 was the last v7.x version 4th qtr '09
> 8.2.0 --> 8.2.1 --> 8.2.2 --> 8.2.3 --> 8.2.4 --> 8.2.5
> not sure if v8.2.5 is the EoL
> v9.4.1 and v10.0.0 were released at the same time.

Thanks for the above info reg the evolution of the Adobe Reader in the
last few years.

> Why would anyone need to open, re-open and open again the same PDF for 5 years ?
> It would seem to me you would have extracted the needed information and placed it into a
> secondary file long ago.

The reason is rather simple. The PDF file is ~ 50-page reference
document.
Whenever the need arises, you'd select/copy an equation, section of
code, couple of paragraphs, entire page, or whatever, and insert (with
the appropriate acknowledgement) in your paper.
Obviously, had I predicted the current problems, I'd have saved the
entire file as a text file.
It's too late now, but will keep trying!

Regards.
Monir

James

Nov 27, 2010, 10:09:37 AM11/27/10
On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 13:31:15 -0800 (PST), monir <mon...@rogers.com>
wrote:

Get a copy of Simpo PDF Password Remover. It's worked for me
everytime I've needed it. But YMMV.

monir

Nov 27, 2010, 10:33:37 AM11/27/10
On Nov 27, 10:09 am, James <ja...@nowhere.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 13:31:15 -0800 (PST), monir <mon...@rogers.com>
>
> Get a copy of Simpo PDF Password Remover.  It's worked for me
> everytime I've needed it. But YMMV.

Hi James;

Thank you very much for the ref.
Will give it a try (hope it's free!)

Regards.
Monir

monir

Nov 27, 2010, 2:21:53 PM11/27/10
On Nov 27, 10:33 am, monir <mon...@rogers.com> wrote:
> On Nov 27, 10:09 am, James <ja...@nowhere.com> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 13:31:15 -0800 (PST), monir <mon...@rogers.com>

James;

I've downloaded and successfully installed the Simpo utility version
1.1.0

The output file (~ 165. KB) is a bit larger than the input PDF file (~
150. KB).
Opening the output file (still readable and printable) I get the
message:

"An error exists on this page. Acrobat may not display the page
correctly.
Please contact the person who created the PDF document to correct the
problem."

And almost all Adobe Reader X Edit::Cut, Copy, Paste, Delete, Select
All, Copy File to Clipboard, etc. are greyed out!

I've just sent an email to Simpo's developer seeking advice/help.
Will keep you posted.

Regards.
Monir

James

Nov 27, 2010, 6:46:25 PM11/27/10
On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 11:21:53 -0800 (PST), monir <mon...@rogers.com>
wrote:

Sorry that didn't work out of the box. So now I'm wondering if the
original pdf you have somehow became corrupted. Is it possible for
you to scan the printout and OCR it into Word?

Another possibility is to try to open the file in another pdf software
package.

monir

Nov 28, 2010, 3:41:39 PM11/28/10
On Nov 27, 6:46 pm, James <ja...@nowhere.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 11:21:53 -0800 (PST), monir <mon...@rogers.com>

Hi James;

Thanks again for your reply and for your time.

1) I've followed your latest advice:
...a. tried Simpo utility with a different (but similar) PDF file.
Same error message:
...... "An error exists on this page. Acrobat may not display the
page correctly ..."
...b. tried a different PDF Reader. Couldn't open any secured PDF
file with it!

2) Here's a summary:
(it also helps me to know where I'm at this point)

...i. File ????.PDF (read-only, secured)

...ii. with earlier Adobe Reader (perhaps v7.1 or earlier):
...... could read the same file, Print, Select, Copy, Snapshot, etc.,
till ~ August 2010
...... v7.0 according to Adobe web site is no longer available
...... re-installed v7.1, but it "now" needs FileOpen.api, which I
believe is the culprit here
...... since I'm pretty sure it was not required earlier by the same
Adobe version

...iii. with Adobe Reader X (latest, my current):
...... still can read and print the entire PDF file, but no longer
Select, Copy, Snapshot, etc.

...iv. using Softonic PDF Unlocker 1.0.4:
...... a new file is automatically created: ????_noPW.PDF in the same
folder
.......The newly created file is empty, but ALL Adobe features and
Tool options are now available
.......Unfortunately, it appears that Softonic does not reply to
inquiries regarding their products
.......It is a freeware after all!

....v. Simpo PDF Password Remover 1.1.0:
...... produces a slightly larger PDF file by the same name but in a
different folder
.......Opening the output PDF file produces the error:
......."An error exists on this page. Acrobat may not display the
page correctly"
.......Ignoring the error, one could still read/print the entire
document, but no Select, Copy, etc. is available (greyed-out)
...... Contacted Simpo for advice. Just received a reply to send them
a copy of the original PDF file to test
...... Greatly appreciated
...... Will shortly send a copy to Simpo

....vi. Using another PDF reader:
....... Nuance PDF Reader 6.0
....... wouldn't open any secured PDF file
....... blank Nuance PDF Reader window with: "Cannot open file "C:
\.......\ ????.PDF"
....... couldn't "Ask a Question" regarding the product
....... because the Official utility I downloaded & installed from
Nuance web site (~ 25 min earlier) has "Expired"!!!!!!!
....... Sent my inquiry to Nuance "Contact Sales", hoping they would
kindly forward my question to their "Tech Team".

Kind regards.
Monir

James

Nov 28, 2010, 4:32:23 PM11/28/10
On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 12:41:39 -0800 (PST), monir <mon...@rogers.com>
wrote:

>On Nov 27, 6:46 pm, James <ja...@nowhere.com> wrote:

FileOpen.api is available at the FileOPenSystems website at this URL:
http://plugin.fileopen.com/Default.aspx?bhcp=1. Maybe it will install
and help.

Regarding the Softonic output:
Can you open the "empty" file in Adobe X and then do a document
combine with the file you want?

Regarding the Nuance software: I created a fully secured pdf in Adobe
9 and it opened in Nuance. Couldn't copy anything of course (had that
secured), but still it opened. So I'm not sure what is going on with
your system.

monir

Nov 28, 2010, 6:23:01 PM11/28/10
On Nov 28, 4:32 pm, James <ja...@nowhere.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 12:41:39 -0800 (PST), monir <mon...@rogers.com>

James;

>Regarding the Softonic output:
>Can you open the "empty" file in Adobe X and then do a document
>combine with the file you want?

Yes I can.
The original file is Index.pdf
The Softonic output "empty" file is: Index_noPW.PDF

Now, how to "combine" the two files ?
Do you mean in DOS ?
Can you kindly elaborate just a little ?
Your clever idea might work!

Regards.
Monir

James

Nov 28, 2010, 8:42:01 PM11/28/10
On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 15:23:01 -0800 (PST), monir <mon...@rogers.com>
wrote:

>On Nov 28, 4:32 pm, James <ja...@nowhere.com> wrote:

In Adobe 9, using "Combine" ( next to "Create" on the 2nd line of the
tool bar): Combine/Merge Files Into A single PDF. Drag an ddrop
both files into a single pdf.

Another possibility is using Document-Insert Pages-From File.

Hope one of these helps.

monir

Nov 28, 2010, 11:18:01 PM11/28/10
On Nov 28, 8:42 pm, James <ja...@nowhere.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 15:23:01 -0800 (PST), monir <mon...@rogers.com>

James;

That's exactly what I had suspected!

1) My Adobe Reader X (latest) DOES NOT have "Tools" in the menu.
Instead, Adobe has re-arranged the Tools options as follows:
...File :: Save As --> PDF
........................ --> Text (greyed-out)
...Edit :: "Cut" "Copy" "Paste" "Delete" "Select All" "Copy File to
Clipboard" are greyed out
......... :: Take a Snapshot
............ etc.
...View :: Show/Hide::Toolbar Item::Select & Zoom --> Select Tool
--> Hand Tool
--> etc.
............................ ::Toolbar Item::Edit --> "Cut" "Copy"
"Paste" "Take Snapshot" are ALL Active and Selected.

2) Even with the options in the sub-menu Edit are Active & Selected,
they've NO effect, since (I suppose) they're inactive in the main menu
Edit.

3) So far, I haven't been able to find (either active or inactive):
"Combine", "Merge", "Document-Insert", and alike, anywhere.
Will continue the search in the morning with fresh eye!

4) I wonder if your copy of Adobe Reader 9. is a shareware not a
freeware!

5) May try later the DOS command:
......>Copy Index_noPW.PDF+Index.PDF Index_comb.PDF

Regards.
Monir

monir

Nov 29, 2010, 11:48:57 AM11/29/10
On Nov 28, 11:18 pm, monir <mon...@rogers.com> wrote:
> On Nov 28, 8:42 pm, James <ja...@nowhere.com> wrote:

James;

1) In the Command Prompt window, I tried:
...Index.PDF the original file
...Index_noPW.PDF the Softonic "empty" output file
......>Copy Index.PDF+Index_noPW.PDF Comb_Index.PDF
..also tried:
......>Copy Index_noPW.PDF+Index.PDF Comb_Index.PDF

2) Opening Comb_Index.PDF:
... With Adobe Reader X:
... "There was an error opening this document. The root object is
missing or invalid."
... Doesn't open the file.

... With Nuance PDF Reader 6.0:
... It opens the file, but it is empty.

This is a painful exercise in frustration!

Regards.
Monir

James

Dec 3, 2010, 10:19:17 AM12/3/10
On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 08:48:57 -0800 (PST), monir <mon...@rogers.com>
wrote:

Monir,

It is frustrating. When you tried to combine the files did you use
"/B" switch to indicate a binary file?

If that doesn't work the only suggestions I have left are:
1. Retype the entire file into Word. Not a good option I know.
2. Find someone with a scanner and scan the document into Word or pdf.
3. Find someone with the full version of Adobe(not the Reader) and
try again using that.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

monir

Dec 4, 2010, 10:20:25 AM12/4/10
On Dec 3, 10:19 am, James <ja...@nowhere.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 08:48:57 -0800 (PST), monir <mon...@rogers.com>

James;

1) I tried your first suggestion to indicate a binary file:
...>Copy Index_noPW.PDF+Index.PDF Comb_Index.PDF /B
Microsoft Windows XP [version 5.1.2600]
Still no joy!

2) Simpo Support tested the sample file I had sent them, and replied:
" ... this pdf file is encrypted with complex security technology. We
couldn't even read it without downloading a Adobe Reader plugin."
(Plse see 4 below)

3) It might be too much, but I'd suggest it anyway since it is my only
hope!
Based on your deep knowledge and experience on how these things work,
I'd be glad to email you a proprietary copy of the
original_problem_PDF file Copy-INDEXf9.pdf (150 KB).
You may then give it a try with the tools you have at your finger tips
and whenever your time allows.
I would know then what works, and I'll follow your instructions.

4) Keep in mind that the same read-only file (but with an earlier
Adobe Reader version, perhaps 7.0) had no problem with read, Print,

Select, Copy, Snapshot, etc., till ~ August 2010.

If you like the idea, please send me an email, and I'll immediately
reply with an attachment.
If my suggestion is too much, please ignore it!

Kind regards.
Monir

James

Dec 5, 2010, 10:26:48 AM12/5/10

>If you like the idea, please send me an email, and I'll immediately
>reply with an attachment.
>If my suggestion is too much, please ignore it!
>
>Kind regards.
>Monir

Delete -theobvious-

jam-theobvi...@hotmail.com

monir

Dec 7, 2010, 8:52:21 AM12/7/10
On Dec 5, 10:26 am, James <ja...@nowhere.com> wrote:
> >If you like the idea, please send me an email, and I'll immediately
> >reply with an attachment.
> >If my suggestion is too much, please ignore it!

James;

Thank you for your positive response.
I've emailed you a copy of the problem file to look at.

Regards.
Monir

Ja...@nowhere.com

Dec 9, 2010, 6:57:13 PM12/9/10
On Tue, 7 Dec 2010 05:52:21 -0800 (PST), monir <mon...@rogers.com>
wrote:

>On Dec 5, 10:26 am, James <ja...@nowhere.com> wrote:

Have been out of town this week. Will work on thsi weekend.

Message has been deleted

dwanes...@gmail.com

Apr 6, 2018, 1:14:15 AM4/6/18
have you ever try this tool http://www.osttopstapp.com/pdf-unlocker.html