Unable to find "Adobe PDF" resource files

Michael Schewe

Sep 8, 2003, 11:40:15 AM9/8/03
Windows XP SP4, Dell, Acrobat 6.0 Pro
and WinNT 4.0 Sp6a, Dell

When printing from Smart Sketch 3.0 Sp2 to Adobe PDF Printer I'm getting an error:

Unable to find "Adobe PDF" resource files, "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Adobe PDF 6.0\Settings\??|?|?|?.joboptions"
Do you want to run the installer in repair mode?

Running repair does NOT fix it.

I think there was just a discussion about that problem. But none of this instructions did realy work.

Seabie Ewer said the Problem is: The adobe job options objects are currupted

That's not correct. All the files are correct. So we did the update like Seabie said:
Edit the first object by double clicking on it - object highquality.joboptions the adobe highquality - adobe PDF settings box will display at the compatibility option - click the down arrow and select Adobe 6.0 (pdf 1.5) click the save as button
save the file with the default file name supplied in the file name box ex.. highquality(1).joboptions rename the original highquality.joboptions object for back up purposes rename hiqhquality.joboptions(1) to highquality.joboptions

No way.

After installing the product, it works only one time. After the first pdf-file extraction there is allways this error message.
Technical support Adobe (Hans Thieme call 1250877 ht)said (known problem): Uninstall - save registry - delete entries - reinstall - restore registry.
But this doesn't fix it too.

Any idea?

Nathan Strong

Sep 8, 2003, 5:46:52 PM9/8/03
I've been able to reproduce the issue in the SmartSketch 4.0 free trial.

Have you contacted the vendor of SmartSketch?

Nathan

Michael Schewe

Sep 9, 2003, 2:51:28 AM9/9/03
Hi Nathan,

no I didn't contacted Intergraph. But we have a service-agreement with Intergraph. I don't think it's a problem with SmartSketch.
It looks like a Adobe-problem, because you can print out of SmartSketch only one print directly after the installation of Acrobat. If you start Acrobat before starting SmartSketch it doesn't work. So you have only one shot.
The error message differs a little bit. The characters between the last backslash and ***.joboptions change form job to job. So it seems to be a problem reading the registry keys.

de Siem

Sep 9, 2003, 9:57:10 AM9/9/03
Do you get the error from other applications on the same system when printing to Adobe pdf?

Was Acrobat installed by an administrator?

Nathan Strong

Sep 9, 2003, 10:27:36 AM9/9/03
I would still contact them to see if they have a workaround. Just because it triggers an error in Acrobat doesn't mean that it's Acrobat's fault. :)

Nathan

Michael Schewe

Sep 9, 2003, 10:50:05 AM9/9/03

Mary

Sep 9, 2003, 4:48:48 PM9/9/03
Michael,

Is this what you tried?

Uninstall any versions of Acrobat that are present and remove the Adobe Acrobat folders from the HKEY_Local_Machine and HKEY_Current_User Software folders, then reinstall Acrobat 6:
1. Choose Start > Run, type regedit in the Open text field of the Run dialog box, and then click OK.
2. Back up your current Registry file (in case something goes wrong):
a.From the File menu, choose Export.
b.Type a name for the file and choose the location.
c. For Export Range, choose All.
d.Click Save.
3. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Adobe, select all Acrobat folders in the Adobe folder and then choose Edit >Delete.
4. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Adobe, select all Acrobat folders in the Adobe folder and then choose Edit >Delete.
5. Choose Registry > Exit to close the Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.
6. Reinstall Acrobat

Jerry Bernard

Sep 9, 2003, 8:05:11 PM9/9/03
So far it appears Rick at Adobe Support was able to solve the "Adobe PDF Resource" "unable to find...." problem I was also having in my Windows 98SE platform.

From the Edit tab in Adobe 6.0 to Preferences, select "convert to PDF", then select MS Office; then select "Edit Settings" and finally: "Adobe PDF Setting" needs to be changed to "Smallest File Size". Good Luck.

Michael Schewe

Sep 10, 2003, 8:31:09 AM9/10/03
Hey Mary,

thank you for your quick response. Yes I did it in the way you described it. No way. But why do I have to delete Adobe in the registry twice? If its once deleted I can't delete it a second time.

Hey Jerry,

thank you for your advice. But it doesn't work.

Michael

Aandi Inston

Sep 15, 2003, 9:47:04 AM9/15/03
jdphylis, perhaps I misunderstood your message. Are you in fact
getting the 'Unable to find "Adobe PDF" resource files' message like
others in this thread?

Aandi Inston

Aandi Inston

Sep 15, 2003, 9:44:11 AM9/15/03
>I also have this problem with Windows 98 second edition, It seem
>happen on every start up the Windows, I tried to check the Adobe
>PDF printer setting and get some change in the printer setting,
>e.g. from "smallest file size" to "standard" and click apply,It maybe work again.
>However, same problem happen on next restart the Windows.

Where are you making this setting? If you are changing it from within
an application, that is correct - the setting is not supposed to be
remembered.

As with other printer settings, the only way to make permanent changes
is to use the Printers Control Panel.

Aandi Inston

jdphylis

Sep 15, 2003, 9:38:34 AM9/15/03
I also have this problem with Windows 98 second edition, It seem
happen on every start up the Windows, I tried to check the Adobe
PDF printer setting and get some change in the printer setting,
e.g. from "smallest file size" to "standard" and click apply,It maybe work again.
However, same problem happen on next restart the Windows.
I already follow Mary's method to edit the registry and reinstall, but still cannot solve the problem.

jdphylis

Sep 15, 2003, 10:03:41 AM9/15/03
Yes, I was changed it use the "Printers Control Panel", just get some change in the Adobe PDF printer setting and just click
"apply", then use the application software to convert PDF, it
can work still restart the computer.

Michael Schewe

Sep 16, 2003, 4:33:34 AM9/16/03
Hi Nathan,

yes it is a problem of Intergraph. There is a patch for SmartSketch 4.0 Sp3 available. But there is no patch for SmartSketch 3.0 at this time. I asked the developer to create this patch but it is not yet clear if they do so.

Thanks for your help

Michael Schewe