What is PDEObject and why does it preclude my editing text?

Mitch_G...@adobeforums.com

Apr 19, 2005, 10:42:59 AM4/19/05
When selecting text to edit, nothing happens when I try to delete or overtype. When selecting pages and deleting them from the file, the error msg. is "Incorrect PDEObject."

Seems like a simple fix or reinstall, but I cannot find the simple solution - I've recently wiped all Adobe files and reinstalled v. 6.0 Professional. I think the trouble began with installing a plugin or two that are now gone, or RoboHelp X5.

Thanks!

Aandi_...@adobeforums.com

Apr 19, 2005, 11:33:41 AM4/19/05
It may be a problem specific to just one PDF. Worth checking if others
are OK.

Aandi Inston

Mitch_G...@adobeforums.com

Apr 19, 2005, 2:00:22 PM4/19/05
Wow! That's the single test I did not do - thanks (second set of eyes, always best, right? ) Have a great day.

Note: I think I posted and you helped me, both a few years ago, with Acrobat - possible?

Thanks again, Aandi - ;-)

y...@adobeforums.com

May 4, 2005, 4:39:22 PM5/4/05
I'm getting the same error when I try to replace, extract or delete 2 specific pages. This 2 page pdf started out as a individual file, but I merged it into a manual with 600+ pages. I need to replace these pages but can't get rid of them. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Thanks YMC

Mitch_G...@adobeforums.com

May 6, 2005, 4:26:34 PM5/6/05
Sorry for late reply, I've been OOT. The result was a corrupt file, and though I can relate to your frustration with possibly re-creating a book 3x the size of the one I did - It's worth it.

The file or installation was simply corrupt - I reinstalled the program and rebuilt the file, and the problem was solved... Easily, the plugin(s) or RH X5's PDF conversion files overwrote someting from Adobe - I'm nearly positive that's where the trouble began - this solved it, though it's something I'd personally only do if there were no other solutions, as it takes awhile (to say the least)...
Best of Luck - Mitch

pinb...@gmail.com

May 17, 2018, 5:43:41 AM5/17/18
OK, Adobe's pricing and marketing strategy suck big time. And while Acrobat Pro 8.1's image placement tool worked fine under XP Pro (rev. 3), not so much under WindoBUT, there is a work around that isn't too bad (do NOT let Adobe give you an 'upgrade'...a Trojan horse). It worked for me above any other strategies and implies a kind of formatting incompatibility...one that can be finessed, however.

Adobe has a number of standard beneath its PDF umbrella, including PDF/A, PDF/X, and PDF/E, which in turn each have several sub-variants. The A is optimized for archival purposes and is what federal courts require. The X is optimized for graphical related uses and images, while the E is best for engineering uses, schematics, and blueprints.

While every image type file I had failed to be 'placed' with Acrobat Pro 9's object touchup tool under Windows 10, it became possible once I struggled with its 'preflight' option under the 'Advanced' tab. There I discovered numerous options including PDF/A, PDF/E, and PDF/X compliance. Since I wanted to insert a signature and some pics into my PDF document not intended for court archival purposes, I tried to guess conservatively with the PDF/X compliance choice.

Within that category, I opted for 'convert to PDF/X-1a (Coated FOGRA39), then clicked on the Analyze & Fix' button near the bottom of the frame. Once the app had completed the conversion, I saved it under a different filename. Finally, I successfully used the Object Touchup tool and 'placced' the image about where I wanted it in the PDF document, then resized it to my wishes and moved the image to where I wanted it. It accepted JPG image files in this instance. Upon saving the completed editing work, it remained intact upon reopening.

p.s. Adobe, thank you for a fairly decent PDF application, but F U for your arrogance, greed, pricing scheme, and attitude toward consumers. You have p*ss*d in the punch bowl so often, folks have lost their taste for it.

p.s.s. Others who find success with this work around are invited to comment on and add to it.

pinb...@gmail.com

May 17, 2018, 6:35:37 AM5/17/18