No Available System Font

Kristen Ames

Sep 5, 2003, 11:07:58 AM9/5/03
I'm sure this is so basic, but I've just migrated from 4.0 to 6.0 and I've never had this problem before, but now I get it all the time.

How can I make sure all fonts included in a PDF are imbedded and available for Touch-ups or even to be deleted.

Kristen Ames

Sep 5, 2003, 12:21:22 PM9/5/03
Is this more difficult than I thought? or does someone need more information?

I am trying to delete some text, and I get an error message that states "All or part of the selection has no available system font. You cannot add or delete text using the currently selected font." Is there any way around this?

Ian Burton

Sep 5, 2003, 12:39:39 PM9/5/03
Basically you cannot use embedded fonts to support touch up. This was never possible and is not a new feature/problem in Acrobat 6. Font embedding is used to ensure that the PDF displayed on someone else's machine looks like the original document creator wanted it to look like.

To edit text in a PDF in any way the font used in the PDF has to be resident, installed and licensed for such use on the machine that the editing is being done on.

It's a very simple and basic software licensing issue. If person A buys fonts for machine A, creates a PDF using these fonts and sends it to person B, why should simply creating a PDF allow person B on machine B to use such fonts as if they were installed on machine B. For example, there are fonts that can be bought that cannot be embedded in PDFs. Quite simply the font owner does not license the use of the font for such purposes.

If you want more help on this, let the forum know how the PDF was created, what fonts are used, and what font is used in the particular text you're tryng to edit.
Cheers
Ian

Kristen Ames

Sep 5, 2003, 4:11:25 PM9/5/03
If I was able to edit a document in Acrobat 4.0, why can't I edit the same document in 6.0 if I'm using the same PC? Shouldn't the same fonts be available?

Nathan Strong

Sep 5, 2003, 7:47:05 PM9/5/03
Depends on the settings used to create the PDF. If the fonts are not embedded, then yes you could modify the text with abandon.

What you can do is highlight the text you want to remove, then right-click on the text and select Properties.

The properites screen will let you change the font. The drop down menu will list the embedded fonts at the top, then you'll see a space followed by another list of fonts. Any font below that space is a system font. Pick one, then click OK.

Now you can delete the text that you highlighted.

Nathan