PDF prints squares, dots, funny letters

Jenna McCarty

Apr 7, 2003, 9:04:05 PM4/7/03
I have HP pavillion 790 (win XP) and HP deskjet 880. Recently, I installed Acrobat 5. It worked fine for few days. Now, when I try to print Adobe Acrobat .pdf documents, the general page layout may print correctly, the fonts do not print correctly. Instead of fonts, I receive squares, dots, funny letters in the printed version. However, the same Adobe
Acrobat .pdf document prints correctly on a different computer. Indeed, it printed correctly on my computer in the begining. I reinstalled Acrobat, updated printer files, windows xp and adobe files - nothing is working.
Can anyone help me with this problem.
Thanks a million

Michael Jantzen

Apr 8, 2003, 1:10:34 AM4/8/03
Try under file -> print -> print as image (just under properties) - does it work then?

Also does this happen with all PDF files or just some? Does it happen with the help file (warning that pdf file is very long)? (help -> acrobat help).

William A. Davis

Apr 8, 2003, 8:58:55 AM4/8/03
It sounds like you did not embed the fonts. Look at the font settings under the Acrobat Distiller printer properties as well as within Acrobat Distiller settings. The latter relates to embedding and the former relates to the fonts sent to Distiller.

jeff meyerhoff

Apr 8, 2003, 5:28:13 PM4/8/03
Jenna I too have these squares in the printing. I am using a new dell laptop with xp home. The only way I found around it was to install adobe 5.0 instead of 5.1. I fortunately had a version of 5.0. Now everything looks and prints fine. if you cannot find a version 5.0 anywhere leave a message here and I can email it.

Jenna McCarty

Apr 9, 2003, 5:06:22 PM4/9/03
Hi Bill
I opened Distillers "Job Options" menu where "embed all fonts" is checked. the same job option is chosen in printing preferences as well. Problem is still there.

Hi Jeff
I am using Acrobat 5.0. I uninstalled it, reinstalled - problem is still there. If you want to email me the 5.0 version - gen...@aol.com

Anyone's else comments on this problem will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Jenna McCarty

Apr 9, 2003, 5:17:23 PM4/9/03
Mike

I tried printing like an image. Voila - worked nicely. Thanks for the tip
However, being stubborn that I am, I need to get to the bottom of what the cause of this problem is. It was printing fine when I first installed Acrobat. Now, when print like an image is not checked every pdf file (even acrobat help) is printed with squares, lines etc. What do you think is causing this problem?

Thanks Mike

Guy Smiley

Apr 9, 2003, 8:52:09 PM4/9/03
"What do you think is causing this problem?"

If "Print as Image" works, then it indicates that the problem is with your printer driver. Make sure you have the most up-to-date driver for your printer, and if you already do, then uninstall and reinstall the printer.

--Mike Nitabach

Donald Wilder

Apr 10, 2003, 1:59:12 PM4/10/03
Printing some pdf files from web sites (IRS for instance)from WinXP Pro to a networked HP4000n laserjet I get nonsense characters, a mix of symbols, letters, punctuation, etc., and an error message on the printer "chosen language not available". I have updated the HP 4000 drivers and have Adobe Reader 5.1. The document will print with "Print as Image". The file also prints fine on a new networked HP 6127 inkjet. I can't spend any more time trying to figure it out. Seems like Adobe and HP would figure it out since the HP 4000 is possibly the most common network laser, and Adobe Acrobat's usefulness depends on its versatility in speaking all languages.

Guy Smiley

Apr 11, 2003, 4:47:05 PM4/11/03
"I get a good print when I print from the computer to which my HP1440 printer is attached directly but when I print from another computer on my network, I get the same results that you describe."

Do you have the same version of the printer driver installed on the machine the doesn't print well as is on the machine that does print well?

--Mike NItabach

John Accardi

Apr 11, 2003, 4:44:50 PM4/11/03
I have a very similar problem. I get a good print when I print from the computer to which my HP1440 printer is attached directly but when I print from another computer on my network, I get the same results that you describe. Sorry I don't have an answer yet but I bet what fixes your problem will probably fix mine.

Tom Geschwender

Apr 12, 2003, 10:15:21 AM4/12/03
There are no HP print drivers available for most HP printers that will print correctly with the WinXP/Acrobat 5.0x combination. You must select Print As Image and then go take a nap or something while it prints.

Brian Stal

Apr 16, 2003, 11:54:09 AM4/16/03
My answer would be to check the printer driver. If you're running Windows 98SE then the Spool Data format is probably set incorrectly. Go to Start > Settings > Printers. Right Click the printer driver and select Properties. Click On Details > Spool Settings. If the spool data format is set to EMF, change it to RAW. Then retry printing. Oh yeah, don't forget to remove the print as image so you know it worked. Good luck.

For XP, make sure you're using the latest version of the printer driver. Also, when all else fails, try installing the HP LaserJet 4 or 4si (for duplex printers). This is a miracle driver and works for virtually ALL HP printers. Not to mention the fact that 300 dpi can be set. If you decide to download the latest HP driver for your specific printer, try the PCL5e version. I find it works exceptionally well. Especially for the 4000 series models. Once again, the PCL5e allows you to go down to 300dpi whereas the PCL6 only goes to 600dpi.