Gradient Tool Photoshop

Keiko Middlekauff

Dec 30, 2023, 5:22:28 PM12/30/23
The Gradient tool allows you to create gradual changes of color and light across an image with power and precision. You can use different types of gradients to blend with or overlay other images to create stunning backdrops for logo designs, poster art, stylized photos, and more. Gradients can help draw focus to a point in your image by creating a glint of light or color that gradually fades from one hue to another.

After you add a gradient to your image or design, you can find the Gradient Controls in the Properties panel. Click on the Preset menu to explore all the useful preset options, grouped by color category.

gradient tool photoshop

DOWNLOAD https://t.co/Cxb9H3d6dk

Select the Gradient tool from the toolbar and then click on the gradient type you want to create in the options bar at the top of the app. Click and drag across your canvas to automatically add a gradient to your image in a new layer. To make your gradient transparent so you can see the image below, adjust the opacity in the Properties panel.

Use the on-canvas Gradient tool to adjust the gradient. The further you drag the handles at the end, the longer the spread of your gradient. Move the handles in any direction to change the direction of the gradient.

Another way to quickly change the color of your gradient is to click on the Gradient preset menu in the options bar or Properties panel and select a new colorway from those choices, which you can then customize as much as you like.

In the options bar or Properties panel, choose a blending mode, the opacity percentage of your gradient, and other options. Reverse the order of colors in the gradient fill by checking Reverse. Create a smoother blend by checking Dither. Experiment with these and the Method settings to see how they look.

Applying gradients is one of the main workflows that constitutes the fundamentals of digital image manipulation. Gradient provides you the information about the change in the color intensity in your image in a given direction.

You can now quickly draw, preview, and modify beautiful gradients with an improved Gradient Tool in the Photoshop desktop app. You can create the color stops and edit your gradients from the canvas itself. Also, you can control the color, density, opacity, and blend mode of the gradient, see the mid-point and spread on the canvas, add multiple color stops, and change the color of the color stops to edit the gradient with this feature.

When a pixel layer is selected, you can choose the way you want to work, non-destructively (Gradient mode) or destructively (Classic gradient mode). When working on a gradient fill layer, the tool switches to the correct mode based on the layer selected, gradient fill or mask.

Select the canvas and drag out the on-canvas gradient widget. While dragging, you can change the angle and length of the gradient. When you release the drag, you can go back and change the length and angle by clicking and dragging again.

Remove color stops on the on-canvas widget by selecting the color stop circles and dragging away from the gradient line. On the Gradient on-canvas widget, double-click the color stops (circle area) to change the color with the color picker.

The Gradient Editor dialog box lets you define a new gradientby modifying a copy of an existing gradient. You can also add intermediatecolors to a gradient, creating a blend between more than two colors.

Click the corresponding color stop, and enter avalue for Location in the Stops section of the dialog box. A valueof 0% places the point at the far left end of the gradient bar;a value of 100%, at the far right end.

Each gradient fill contains settings thatcontrol the opacity of the fill at different locations on the gradient.For example, you can set the starting color to 100% opacity andhave the fill gradually blend into an ending color with 50% opacity. Thecheckerboard pattern indicates the amount of transparency in thegradient preview.

Color Model: Changes the color components you can adjust. For each component, drag the sliders to define the range of acceptable values. For example, if you choose the HSB model, you can restrict the gradient to blue-green hues, high saturation, and medium brightness

WHY.

Why did you take a perfectly functioning part of your program and turn it into a permanently vector based tool? This single handedly is the kick I need after 3 years of bugs, glitches and program malfunctions ever since you forced us to update from 2019 to 2020. I can no longer build off gradients effectively to use with my artwork, something quintissential to my process. I just spent too much time in my life trying to figure out how to reverse the gradient tool, realizing I literally need to install a previous version in order to do my professional work.

I am no longer using photoshop to teach my students at my university. I will no longer recommend this program to anyone. You refuse to give us a functioning program. Photoshop has been a long standing joke in the artistic community and you've finally convinced me to follow suit.

The old behavior actually CANNOT be reinstated. Only half of the classic functions were brought back.

The "classic gradient" color selection method is not as simple as it used to be. It's still the "new" color selection which requires using the silly dialog boxes. Before, "classically", gradients would take your primary color and apply it to whatever gradient you have active. For me, it was always the color > transparent gradient. So I could easily color pick > gradient > smack

Now I have to open dialogue boxes to double click the gradient type and then select the color.

So no, its not the same as it was before. They broke that. You can't revert a tool to HALF of what it was before and claim "it works as it used to!"

And yes, its entirely justified to complain about a "New" crappy update that yet again makes us select a "Legacy" option, and only those of us who visit the forum. 95% of frustrated users will never see this forum and never know about the Classic gradient option, living with a miserable new tool for eternity.

What's unnecessary is gaslighting people with real problems.

Before, "classically", gradients would take your primary color and apply it to whatever gradient you have active. For me, it was always the color > transparent gradient. So I could easily color pick > gradient > smack

Now I have to open dialogue boxes to double click the gradient type and then select the color.

Anyway Yes, classic gradient is working properly now and yes my statement about it not working is now inaccurate. But the fact remains we photoshop users should not have to deal with half-witted updates that BREAK a fundamental tool on every single update.

Another powerful advantage of the new way is being able to use a gradient on a mask, and nondestructively. That is a compelling reason to make a gradient a vector object. We are no longer subject to the inconvenience of having to completely redo a mask gradient from scratch only because we wanted to make a slight adjustment to it. So if you want to know why Adobe changed gradients, that is why. They are a thousand times better now.

For some of your problems, make sure you've selected the correct layer and view, that options are set correctly for the specific problem.

When some tools go wildly wrong for me, this is often the cause. These tools don't always work by simply selecting them, and I think we all have trouble remembering how it should ideally be set for each case.

I have to get on board with this, ever since CC long standing tools have routinely gone haywire. Having a STATIC GRADIENT IS USELESS, and I don't need a preview with extra UI, Or a tool that just sits there open waiting for me to mess with it. Gradien DROP DONE. I just need tools to work. Seriously, Adobe! you are breaking the programs and driving us to find better solutions. Stop listening to whoever is telling you to change your tools all the time!

Diverse, creative edits that make your images pop are possible when you apply the Photoshop gradient tool. Make a dull sky sing, infuse mood and mystery into a portrait, or bring a landscape to life. Learning how to use the gradient tool in Photoshop will expand your editing potential more than you can imagine.

Overlaying any of these gradients on Photoshop images can add depth and interest to your photos. Adding colors subtly or as bold as you like can be made to look more natural when you apply the gradient tool in imaginative ways.

The icon may appear as a paint bucket. Click and hold on this icon and it will show you the gradient tool icon (as shown on the inset in the image above.) Click this to activate the gradient tool in Photoshop.

There are many ways to use the gradient tool. These options include being able to apply it as a linear, radial, angle, reflected, or diamond gradient. There are also endless options as to how you can configure the color and transparency options for each of these.

Rather than adding a gradient directly to the active layer, create a new layer to work with the gradient. By adding the gradient as a new layer in Photoshop you have whole realms of flexibility to edit it more creatively.

Creating a plane, linear gradient is the most common use of this tool. Over the generations of Photoshop, more options have been added. To apply any gradient to your image, with the gradient tool selected, simply click and drag your mouse. How the gradient appears on your canvas will depend on which option you have select. The linear option is the default. To change this, click one of the other icons beside the gradient panel in the secondary top menu.

When you click and drag with the radial gradient tool option selected, the gradient will shade from where you click to the edge in a circular shape. For this example, I have used a preset that ranges from white, through blue until black. I clicked in the center of the image and dragged to the edge.

35fe9a5643