Mac PS to PC Acrobat: Missing Font Helvetica

Robert Kaltenbrunn

Feb 24, 2003, 7:31:41 AM2/24/03
I create a PS File by printing from QuarkXpress on Mac. I include all fonts. I want to make a PDF on the PC with Acrobat 5. Then I get the error-message of the missing Helvetica.
First Helvetica ist not used in the document. Well, some programs are said to include this font anyway. But all fonts should be included in the Mac-PS-File. So, why do I get this error. Any ideas? Thanks.

Holger Volz

Feb 24, 2003, 9:35:53 AM2/24/03
Helvetica ist the standard font in Quark. So everytime you write a pdf Helvetica should be included.
Go to the font preferences in Distiller. On the left you can see 14 base fonts. Activate them and then go to "never include" (I hope this is correct in english version because I'm only working with the german one). Restart Distiller. The problem should be solved.
Holger

Robert Kaltenbrunn

Feb 24, 2003, 10:08:29 AM2/24/03
Holger, thanks. I am German as well but we are on english forum so we have to speak english.
I had already this idea to have Helvetica "never included". But what happens in the further workflow. Could it happen that some preflight-programs find as well that Helvetica is missing?
And a second question: why does QuarkXpress or the printer-driver not include Helvetica eventhough I tell to include all fonts?

Holger Volz

Feb 24, 2003, 10:27:57 AM2/24/03
Hy Robert, this helvetica font may be the true type version you can find in your system folder. Delete it and make another font to your standard font in quark. If you like to, give me your mailaddress and I send you screenies from my Prefs.

Holger

Tim Murray

Feb 24, 2003, 11:48:22 AM2/24/03
Further to what Holger said about:

this helvetica font may be the true type version you can find in your
system folder

Apple's default installation is terrible with regard to fonts, and has been for many many years. They include suitcases with both Type 1 and TrueType fonts inside, which in an of itself is not good practice, but then they fail to give you the printer font the Type 1 fonts need! Bottom line, trash the Apple suitcases of standard fare (Times, Helvetica, Symbol, et al.) and replace with real Adobe versions, such as from the Adobe Type Basics package.

Robert Kaltenbrunn

Feb 25, 2003, 2:46:13 AM2/25/03
I checked my basic system fonts: only Type 1 and no TrueType.
But I found that there seem to bee three fonts which are not included during the PS-File creation but have to be included by Distiller: Helvetica, Symbol and Courier. And I found Symbol and Courier on the PC, but not Helvetica. So PC-Distiller cannot find this font.
But there is still no answer to the entrance question: Why are these fonts not included in the Postscript-File but have to be included by Distiller?

Robert

Aandi Inston

Feb 25, 2003, 3:12:10 AM2/25/03
The driver may well exclude Helvetica because it assumes the
PostScript device already has it.

Aandi Inston

Robert Kaltenbrunn

Feb 27, 2003, 3:31:30 AM2/27/03
I am working with the actual PS Printer. Is it possible that it does not include the "basic" fonts although "include all fonts" is checked?

Aandi Inston

Feb 27, 2003, 4:23:49 AM2/27/03
Yes, I think that may be.

Aandi Inston

Robert Kaltenbrunn

Feb 28, 2003, 4:33:19 AM2/28/03
To come to end with this topic and with my work I bought Helvetica and installed it on the PC. As expected it works fine now.

Tim Murray

Feb 28, 2003, 5:03:01 PM2/28/03
I would highly suggest that you buy the Adobe Type Basics package that I mentioned earlier, since the Apple font set is junk (FrameMaker won't even work with the supplied Symbol, for instance). Adobe customer service is pretty good about refunding your Helvetica ala carte price; they send you a form and you fax it in.