Interpreting Clinical variables

Sunanda Somu

Apr 3, 2024, 2:18:49 PMApr 3
to Alzheimer's Disease Neuroimaging Initiative (ADNI) Data
Hello ADNI team,

I'm looking for the following patient information in ADNI(1,2,GO,3). Could you please point me to the relevant spreadsheets and columns pertaining to :
1. Total Cholesterol
2. HDL Cholesterol
3. Smoking
4. Diabetes status or Treatment for Diabetes
5. Treatment for Hypertension

And how is the data represented when a patient has multiple conditions - smoking, hypertension and diabetes ?

Thank you so much!

Best,
Sunanda Somu
Project Assistant, USC

Naomi H Saito

Apr 3, 2024, 2:49:21 PMApr 3
to Alzheimer's Disease Neuroimaging Initiative (ADNI) Data
Hi Sunanda,
I would check DATADIC.csv first to find which tables have the word (i.e. "smoking").
Then, you will see MEDHIST and RECMHIST tables have related variables.
It looks like cholesterols can be found in LAB and many other tables.

Naomi

Apr 5, 2024, 3:44:37 PMApr 5
to adni...@googlegroups.com
Hi Naomi,

Thank you for the information!
I still can't find the column which indicates the diabetes status. Could you please point to that?
Also, I understand that HMHYPERT indicates hypertension history but not if they are getting any treatment(like medication) for it. Is there a column which indicates that?

Thanks,
Sunanda

Apr 5, 2024, 4:27:22 PMApr 5
to adni...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sunanda,
REMHIST (recent medical history details log) table used to have MHDESC variable which is a text filed to explain about disease.
For example, subjects had MHNUM=9(Endocrine-Metabolic), and MHDESC could be entered as "Diabetes since x years ago" or "Hypothyroidism since XX".

Currently, all text fields have been removed from the publicly available files (there is a risk of having personal information).

So, MHDESC is one of the variables which is not available at this time.

The medication log is the same. RECCMED (concurrent medications log) table used to have CMMED variable, which is a text field for medication name.

You can work with these variables after they are released from LONI.
I am not sure when, but I hope it will be soon.

Naomi