Multiple MRI scans on the same day?

Victor E

Apr 24, 2024, 1:47:13 PMApr 24
to Alzheimer's Disease Neuroimaging Initiative (ADNI) Data
Hi all,

I am attempting to analyze some MRI metrics, such as cortical thickness. However, I noticed that some of the RIDs have multiple MRI readings on the same day. For example, RID 21 has 2 cross-sectional readings on 10/08/2010. What is the best way to handle this? Average out the MRI values, such as in repeated measurements, or create a multilevel model? Any insights are greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Victor.

Naomi H Saito

Apr 24, 2024, 4:47:28 PMApr 24
to Alzheimer's Disease Neuroimaging Initiative (ADNI) Data
Hi Victor,
If you are using UCSFFSX51 data, I had used IMAGETYPE="Non-Accelerated T1" (this eliminate most) ;then, if I still see duplicated ones, I used larger IMAGEUID.
Naomi

Apr 25, 2024, 10:06:25 AMApr 25
to Alzheimer's Disease Neuroimaging Initiative (ADNI) Data
Hi Victor,

I think what you are talking about is to run separate analyses and then average the results (e.g., cortical thickness).   To me a better option would be to register and average the MRI first, and then run a single analysis on the average MRI.   For very precise registration of MRI,  I recommend the ATRA registration software in ART: https://www.nitrc.org/projects/art

Also from a practical point of view, I would visually inspect all MRI and eliminate those with severe motion artefacts.   Sometimes you have two MRIs on the same day, one of them has severe motion but the other one is acceptable.   There are only 2-3% of these cases but it is worth identifying and removing them from your data.

Best
Babak

Babak Ardekani