Metadata in publication

Michael Romano

Feb 21, 2022, 8:17:01 PM2/21/22
to adni...@googlegroups.com
Hello! A question--when setting up a public GitHub, is it allowed to contain demographic variables or datasheets downloaded from ADNI, for the purposes of reproducibility?

Best,
Mike

Dave E

Feb 24, 2022, 10:12:20 AM2/24/22
to Alzheimer's Disease Neuroimaging Initiative (ADNI) Data

Hi – I am just a data user, so this is only my ha’penny worth.

In the Data Use Agreement part 2 of clause 3 states the ‘redistribution of data in any manner is

prohibited.’

And on a public access github, how are you and they compliant with clauses 4 and 5?

But it is a good question, and for me a bit topical! I wonder what the ADNI guys suggest?

Rgds,

Dave

Michael Romano

Feb 24, 2022, 10:47:52 AM2/24/22
to adni...@googlegroups.com
Much appreciated! I agree, but I was hoping there was a way to share some processed form of the data that would facilitate reproducibility/replication. Thank you!

Mike

Michael F Romano, MD PhD
Internal Medicine, PGY1
St. Elizabeth's Medical Center

Feb 24, 2022, 10:56:10 AM2/24/22
to adni...@googlegroups.com

One option is to share code and the date of download of the files…that way, someone could download the same files (if they have approved access) and replicate your findings. You might consider emailing the Data and Publications Committee to see what they recommend (a contact is edr...@bwh.harvard.edu )

Danielle

**CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE** This e-mail communication and any attachments are for the sole use of the intended recipient and may contain information that is confidential and privileged under state and federal privacy laws. If you received this e-mail in error, be aware that any unauthorized use, disclosure, copying, or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy/delete all copies of this message.

Michael Romano

Feb 24, 2022, 11:01:23 AM2/24/22
to adni...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much
Best,
Mike

Michael F Romano, MD PhD
Internal Medicine, PGY1
St. Elizabeth's Medical Center

Feb 24, 2022, 12:04:55 PM2/24/22
to Alzheimer's Disease Neuroimaging Initiative (ADNI) Data
Hi Danielle - yes indeed. I was trying unsuccessfully to replicate some third-party results recently, despite using their cut-off date. It transpired the problem was in the original analysis, requiring some rework.

It did raise the following question in my mind while trying to get to the bottom of things. Are ADNI data ever retrospectively corrected or adjusted?

Thx,
Dave

Danielle J Harvey

Feb 24, 2022, 12:16:14 PM2/24/22
to adni...@googlegroups.com

Hi Dave,

Yes, the Clinical Core does review the data (I don’t know their exact process). When issues are noticed, they request corrections be made by the clinical sites. The variable USERDATE in the datasets reflects when changes were made (this can be seen if USERDATE is very different from the date of the visit).

Danielle

Michael Romano

Feb 24, 2022, 7:47:30 PM2/24/22
to adni...@googlegroups.com
Great. Thanks for the discussion. I'll include the file names needed for reproducibility, and the most recently updated "USERDATE" in each file as a time stamp for people as a reference.

Best,
Mike

--
Michael Romano, MD PhD