mild cognitive impairment in ADNI

Zahra Najafi

Jun 11, 2023, 11:16:49 AM6/11/23
to Alzheimer's Disease Neuroimaging Initiative (ADNI) Data
Hi everyone,
I have one question about mild cognitive groups in ADNI.
We have three groups of late mild cognitive impairment(LMCI),early mild cognitive impairment (EMCI)and mild cognitive impairment(MCI).Are they for the same group of patients but with different intensity of disease?
I mean, is  MCI a stage between LMCI and EMCI?

Danielle J Harvey

Jun 11, 2023, 2:21:46 PM6/11/23
to adni...@googlegroups.com

Those are all considered MCI. In ADNI-1, we found that the MCI group was much “closer” to AD than MCI, so we relaxed the inclusion criterion for MCI to include a wider range of memory impairment. To ensure we covered the span, we used EMCI and LMCI as target groups for recruitment, but they are all MCI.

Danielle

**CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE** This e-mail communication and any attachments are for the sole use of the intended recipient and may contain information that is confidential and privileged under state and federal privacy laws. If you received this e-mail in error, be aware that any unauthorized use, disclosure, copying, or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy/delete all copies of this message.

Zahra Najafi

Jun 11, 2023, 3:00:56 PM6/11/23
to adni...@googlegroups.com
So we cannot compare EMCI and LMCI and MCI ،with each other?

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Alzheimer's Disease Neuroimaging Initiative (ADNI) Data" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/adni-data/PH0PR08MB76063A68D25557C7FF26535AC057A%40PH0PR08MB7606.namprd08.prod.outlook.com.

Danielle J Harvey

Jun 11, 2023, 3:03:38 PM6/11/23
to adni...@googlegroups.com

If you are interested in comparing EMCI to LMCI, you will need to use the definitions of those classifications (available in the protocols that are on the Documents page of the ADNI website) to split MCI into EMCI and LMCI…

Zahra Najafi

Jun 11, 2023, 3:08:03 PM6/11/23
to adni...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your response,I really appreciate that,but my question is that ,in website;is MCI ,a stage between LMCI and EMCI  or it's just MCI which is not devided into late and early groups?

Danielle J Harvey

Jun 11, 2023, 3:10:07 PM6/11/23
to adni...@googlegroups.com

In some phases of ADNI, we did not have the EMCI and LMCI classification, we just had MCI. So MCI is a combined EMCI and LMCI group.

Brandon Gavett

Jun 13, 2023, 12:15:50 PM6/13/23
to adni...@googlegroups.com

Hi, I am looking at the distribution of scores on the AMNART in ADNI-2 (variable = ANARTERR). I noticed that the scores range from 0 errors to 50 errors. However, the AMNART only has 45 items. Did ADNI use a modified version of the AMNART with 50 items, or are these errors in the data?

Thanks,

Brandon

Danielle J Harvey

Jun 13, 2023, 2:13:22 PM6/13/23
to adni...@googlegroups.com

Hi Brandon,

The AMNART has 50 words. The reference cited in the protocol is the following:

Grober, E. & Sliwinski, M. (1991). Development and validation of a model for estimating premorbid verbal intelligence in the elderly. Journal of Clinical and Experimental Neuropsychology, 13, 933-949.

Danielle

Brandon Gavett

Jun 13, 2023, 2:42:04 PM6/13/23
to adni...@googlegroups.com

Hi Danielle,

Thanks for that. In the Grober & Sliwinski paper, the authors state (p. 938):

“Although coefficient alpha was high (.92). five words had very low item-total correlations and were removed. Coefficient alpha for the remaining 45 words was relatively unchanged (.93) with item-total correlations that ranged from .20 to .60. The number of errors made on the 45-item version was computed for each subject and these adjusted scores were used in all subsequent analyses. All subjects, including demented patients, were able to read at least 5 words correctly. The words from the final version of the AMNART are presented in the Appendix in order of increasing difficulty based on the number of subjects who read each word correctly.”

The Appendix shows 45 words. So if ADNI uses a 50-item version, that doesn’t seem to be consistent with what Grober & Sliwinski (1991) published.

Thanks,

Brandon

Development and Validation of a Model for Estimating Premorbid Verbal Intelligence in the Elderly.pdf

Danielle J Harvey

Jun 13, 2023, 2:48:21 PM6/13/23
to adni...@googlegroups.com

Hi Brandon,

Looks like we use the full 50 words…

Brandon Gavett

Jun 13, 2023, 3:01:10 PM6/13/23
to adni...@googlegroups.com
Do you know what the 5 extra words are and where they are in the sequence so they can be excluded from the item-level data? There is a formula for using the AMNART that uses number of errors as an input. A 50 item scale will obviously produce more errors and thus affect the results of the formula.

Thanks,
Brandon