As a random effect module

Saang-Yoon

Oct 27, 2014, 7:42:49 PM10/27/14
to admb-...@googlegroups.com
Hi.
My TPL  file looks to work, generating its COR file.   Even though its  COR file is generated, I get the warning message: i.e.,
Warning -- Hessian does not appear to be positive definite.
And I confirm some correlation coefficients in the COR file are less than -1.0 (i.e., they do not make a sense).   Would you mind checking my TPL file to correct it?

Attached are TPL, DAT, and PIN files.   The following commands are what I used for compile-link, and applied its resultant executable file to the data.

admb -r -s ssmbr3v3.tpl

ssmbr3v3 -ind sim3.dat -ainp ssmbr3v2.pin -phase 1 -noinit

Best Wishes,
Saang-Yoon
ssmbr3v3.TPL
sim3.DAT
ssmbr3v2.PIN

dave fournier

Oct 28, 2014, 10:03:20 AM10/28/14
to admb-...@googlegroups.com
On 10/27/2014 04:42 PM, Saang-Yoon wrote:

you need to bound the correlation away from -1 and 1 a bit.

This converges nicely.

 init_bounded_number cor12(-0.98,0.98,4);

Saang-Yoon

Oct 28, 2014, 4:29:27 PM10/28/14
to admb-...@googlegroups.com, da...@otter-rsch.com
Hi, Dr. Fournier.
Thank you very much for your help.   Yes, it nicely works!!!   Best Wishes,
Saang-Yoon

Larry Jacobson

Oct 28, 2014, 7:51:12 PM10/28/14
to admb-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Saang-

Their is an ADMB version now with a function that prints out the gradients for all parameters at the end of each pahse along with their current value and, most importantly, the name of the variable.  I think this will be in the next release but you can probably ask Johnoel to hook you up with it now.  The gradient output file makes it very easy to find the problematic parameters (no more looking at the gradients printed to the screen without names or trying to make inferences based on the cor file).  This is something Dave Fournier and Jiashen  Tang here at the Northeast Fisheries Science Center put together.

Cheers!

**********************
Opinions that may be expressed herein are my own
and not official positions of NOAA or the National
Marine Fisheries Service.
**********************
Larry Jacobson
National Marine Fisheries Service
Northeast Fisheries Science Center
166 Water Street
Woods Hole, MA 02543-1026
Voice: 508-495-2317
Fax: 508-495-2393
E-mail: larry.j...@noaa.gov

Saang-Yoon

Oct 28, 2014, 9:53:20 PM10/28/14
to admb-...@googlegroups.com, Larry.J...@noaa.gov
Hi, Dr. Larry Jacobson.
Thank you very much for your info and kind explanation.   Best Wishes,
Saang-Yoon