October Presenation & YM Social

David Schott

Oct 2, 2015, 9:29:11 PM10/2/15
to ADK-GVC Younger Members
October Chapter Presentation & YM Social
Wednesday, October 14, 6:30 p.m.
Rochester Museum & Science Center Eisenhart Auditorium
Free and open to the public

6:30 Workshop: On Trail Emergencies
7:30 Program: The Ongoing Civil War
9:30: YM Social at The Old Toad
_____________
6:45 Workshop: On Trail Emergencies
With the Genesee Valley Nordic Ski Patrol
Want to learn how to react in emergencies that could occur while on the trail? Come to an interactive presentation and demonstration that includes both summer and winter situations. Also included, critical actions to take when dealing with a lost party member. Based on real-life situations.

7:30 Program: The Ongoing Civil War
Charles Sparnecht leads fascinating courses about the Civil War at RIT’s Osher Lifelong Learning Institute. I enjoyed his course so much that I asked Chuck to present a program for us — and he accepted my challenge of relating the Civil War to the ADK’s mission! He is very entertaining and I am excited about having him join us this month!
Current environmental and social issues — hydrofracking, carbon emissions, oil transport … to scratch an iceberg — often hearken back to a debate over states’ rights vs. national sovereignty, individual rights vs. the welfare of all, and questions on how to treat our fellow humans. It also reflects who we are and how we see ourselves — as people and as a society.
Perhaps no period in United States history has had such a profound impact on who we are — and how we recognize our land and people — than the Civil War. At our October chapter presentation, we’ll explore the Civil War era and its lasting impacts on our society.
The Civil War, which began in 1861, involved virtually all of America’s population. Towns and counties formed their own regiments such as Monroe County’s own 140th New York regiment. The conflict impacted not only the many men and as many as 200 women who saw combat, but also led to various forms of depravation for its civilian population.
It would seem that the loss of some 700,000 souls plus the destruction done to the material wealth of the nation would have resolved the issues that led to war. That has hardly been case, which may be a large part of the fascination held by many for the Civil War.
Immediately after the war ended, memories and perceptions came to the fore throughout the United States. In the South was a need to reconcile their loss with the sectional pride. The North began to memorialize the conflict as the victors.
This presentation will exhibit some of the ways that post bedlam attitudes emerged. Battlefield monuments, mostly from Gettysburg, forms of art, ways of remembering the war, and associations such as the Daughters of the Confederacy will be viewed and discussed.
Maybe we will be able to predict when the Civil War might end!

9:30 Younger Members Social at The Old Toad
Following the presentation, Younger members — and all who wish to join us — will gather at the Old Toad for lively conversation. Drinks and food are available, or just sit and chat!

Directions: Take a LEFT onto East Ave from RMSC. A few blocks down, take a LEFT onto Alexander St. The Old Toad is on the right. There is on-street parking, as well as a parking lot behind the building.

Any questions about ADK Younger Members, contact David, david...@rochester.rr.com; or 314-8092.
For more information about ADK-GVC, visit www.adk-gvc.org.

1014 Chapter Presentation.ics