March Chapter Presentation & YM Social

David Schott

Feb 28, 2015, 10:12:47 AM2/28/15
to ADK-GVC Younger Members
March Chapter Presentation & YM Social
Wednesday, March 11, 6:30 p.m.
Rochester Museum & Science Center Eisenhart Auditorium
Free and open to the public

6:30 Workshop: Get Around by Orienteering!
7:30 Program: Geology of the Finger Lakes
9:30: YM Social at The Old Toad

Feel free to attend any or all parts of the program. It is open to the public, so bring your friends!

_____________
6:30 Workshop: Get Around by Orienteering!
Fresh from competing in the Ski-Orienteering World Championships in Norway this past February, world-class athlete (and GVC member!) Stina Bridgeman, will share the ins and outs of orienteering with our Chapter at the March 11 Workshop. Stina will be joined by fellow Rochester Orienteering Club and GVC members Rafael Frutos, Carol Moran and Sandra Lomker.

7:30 Program: Geology of the Finger Lakes, Presented by Timothy McDonnell
The Finger Lakes of New York are a gift from the Ice Age. They are unique in many ways. The conditions that made them are not found anywhere else. Before the glaciers invaded New York from Canada, the landscape was very different from what we find today. Where we find lakes today, there were only river valleys. This includes the Great Lakes as well as the Finger Lakes.
Today the Finger Lakes region is a popular place for tourists, hikers, and paddlers. To appreciate them better, you need to know about their history and geography. Tim McDonnell hopes to share his love for this special region with the members of the Adirondack Mountain Club of the Genesee Valley on March 11th.
Timothy McDonnell is an Assistant Adjunct Professor of Geosciences at Monroe Community College. He is also the Coordinator of the New York Geographic Alliance, a group of educators aligned with the National Geographic Society that promotes better geography in our schools.

9:30 Younger Members Social at The Old Toad
Following the presentation, Younger members — and all who wish to join us — will gather at the Old Toad for lively conversation. Drinks and food are available, or just sit and chat!
Directions: Take a LEFT onto East Ave from RMSC. A few blocks down, take a LEFT onto Alexander St. The Old Toad is on the right. There is on-street parking, as well as a parking lot behind the building.

Any questions about ADK Younger Members, contact David, david...@rochester.rr.com; or 314-8092.
For more information about ADK-GVC, visit www.adk-gvc.org.

March Chapter Presentation .ics