February Chapter Presentation & YM Social

David Schott

Jan 30, 2015, 9:28:06 PM1/30/15
to ADK-GVC Younger Members
February Chapter Presentation & YM Social
Wednesday, Feb. 11 6:45 p.m.
Rochester Museum & Science Center Eisenhart Auditorium
Free and open to the public

6:45 Workshop: Make a Survival Bracelet
7:30 Program: Green Fire: Aldo Leopold and a Land Ethic for Our Time
9:30: YM Social at The Old Toad

Feel free to attend any or all parts of the program. It is open to the public, so bring your friends!

_____________
6:45 Workshop: Make a Survival Bracelet
A survival bracelet is a knotted bracelet made out of approx. nine feet of paracord. The unique characteristic of the bracelet is if you are in a survival situation, or any situation for that matter where you need rope, you can untie the bracelet and … viola! You will have a continuous nine-foot piece of paracord.
Come to this workshop and learn how to make a survival bracelet. This is a hands-on very-active workshop vs. a presentation. To cover the materials needed to make a bracelet $1 will be collected per person.
Workshop presenters are Barb Brenner and Lydia D’Amato. Barb and Lydia have conducted this workshop at the DEC’s weekend-long BOW (Becoming an Outdoors Woman) workshop.
Note: Due to the length of the workshop there may be a limit to the number of people who will be able to create their own survival bracelet. Everyone is welcome to watch and learn.

7:30 Program: Green Fire: Aldo Leopold and a Land Ethic for Our Time
Aldo Leopold is considered one of the seminal figures in America’s environmental movement. His classic work, “A Sand County Almanac,” is considered basic reading for ecology and environmental science students, and has been read by countless others, not only for the accuracy of Leopold’s perceptions about the natural world but also for the eloquent and poetic way in which he describes what he has observed. Unlike John Muir, whose primary focus was on the preservation of wilderness, Leopold emphasizes the need for man to live in harmony with nature.
Genesee Valley ADK members Jim and Carol May will present the Emmy® award-winning film, “Green Fire: Aldo Leopold and a Land Ethic for Our Time,” which describes and celebrates the life and work of the man whose writings during the ’30s and ’40s helped awaken America to the notion that land is not simply a commodity to be exploited but is worth protecting because it is part of a community to which we all belong.

9:30 Younger Members Social at The Old Toad
Following the presentation, Younger members — and all who wish to join us — will gather at the Old Toad for lively conversation. Drinks and food are available, or just sit and chat!

Directions: Take a LEFT onto East Ave from RMSC. A few blocks down, take a LEFT onto Alexander St. The Old Toad is on the right. There is on-street parking, as well as a parking lot behind the building.

Any questions about ADK Younger Members, contact David, david...@rochester.rr.com; or 314-8092.
For more information about ADK-GVC, visit www.adk-gvc.org.

February Chapter Presentati.ics