April Waterways Update

Marcia B B

Apr 2, 2021, 6:09:28 PM4/2/21
to ADK google group

Happy April Paddlers!

The Monday paddle schedule has been planned and posted on the ADK-GVC calendar of events.  This is in no way carved in stone, sometimes there are changes.  We will try to email you if there are any changes previous to the day of but at least by 7:30 am day of, if the paddle has been cancelled at the last minute.

Monday paddles are great, but not everyone can go on a Monday.  That said, we are still looking for weekend/evening paddle leaders.  Many of you are experienced enough to lead, and a group is a safe and enjoyable way to get out on the water.  Please feel free to contact Peg Jacobs or Marcia Barrett and we can help you out with the planning.

Spring is in the air and here are some links we think might be helpful and/or interesting to all of you.

1.      This is a series of workshops offered by the Genesee River Watch.  This group works to improve the water quality of the Genesee River and its tributaries to create environmental, recreational, and economic assets for its communities. They also connect people to the river, encouraging them to explore, experience and celebrate the river.  We’d like to encourage you to sign up for #3, the “Got Access” workshop, and speak up about the need for more access to the river and our need to be able to access the water from the water (ramp) or very low dock.  The roller docks are not suitable for narrow, and gel coated paddle type boats.  https://geneseeriverwatch.org/2021/03/24/2021-genesee-river-basin-virtual-summit/

2.     Here is a link to DEC Boat Launches that you might find helpful:  https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7832.html, this is a map of put in’s on the Erie Canal:  https://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_pdf/eriecanalbls.pdf

3.     Seeing wildlife while paddling is one of the great bonuses of paddling.  I love the different birds I see.  However, this is something I didn’t know and to be aware of while birding-and might give you a little laugh.  https://paddling.com/learn/kayak-birding-the-untold-stories

Things are looking up as more of us are getting vaccinated.  Hopefully you are all staying safe and healthy.  May is only a month away! See you soon!

Peg and Marcia

Charlie Helman

Apr 2, 2021, 7:47:40 PM4/2/21
to jemb...@gmail.com, ADK google group