Saving your Voice When Singing Outside and Warm Ups

Anabel Graetz

Nov 10, 2011, 6:55:13 PM11/10/11
to Dewey Square Ad Hoc Chorus
I promised to post this information, but got caught up with more work
than I expected this week (last minute gig on Tuesday, etc.) but, here
goes.

First thing, don't try to out sing everyone, if you can't hear anyone
else, you're probably singing too loud and could be pushing your voice
dangerously, which can cause all kinds of vocal problems.

Next, dress warm and be sure to wear a scarf or muffler around your
throat, and an extra layer over your chest. It will be pretty chilly
tomorrow, and a bit windy. (Although, I note the the high wind
warnings have been taken down).

Third, stay well hydrated. Warm beverages are best, eschew anything
iced or ice cold while you are singing.

Next, inhale through your nose; that way the air is heated a bit
before it hits your vocal chords and some of the awful stuff in the
air doesn't gather in your lungs or on your throat. Breathe from your
stomach (diaphragm), and support the voice well.

Stand close to the people you sing with; the closer the better. That
way you won't feel that you need to push your voice to be heard. And
everyone will hear each other better. This doesn't mean to make a
circle; a half circle is fine, just stay close together and let those
a bit less tall come into the center of the arc.

If you want to warm up before hand tomorrow, let me know. I'm
available to lead some from 11:50 to noon, when we start singing.