About Event handling in ADF

Richa williams

Feb 16, 2018, 8:32:24 AM2/16/18
to ADF Enterprise Methodology Group

In traditional JSF applications, event handling typically takes place on the server. JSF event handling is based on the JavaBeans event model, where event classes and event listener interfaces are used by the JSF application to handle events generated by components.

Examples of user events in an application include clicking a button or link, selecting an item from a menu or list, and changing a value in an input field. When a user activity occurs such as clicking a button, the component creates an event object that stores information about the event and identifies the component that generated the event. The event is also added to an event queue. At the appropriate time in the JSF lifecycle, JSF tells the component to broadcast the event to the appropriate registered listener, which invokes the listener method that processes the event. The listener method may trigger a change in the user interface, invoke backend application code, or both.

Like standard JSF components, ADF Faces command components deliver ActionEvent events when the components are activated, and ADF Faces input and select components deliver ValueChangeEvent events when the component local values change.

John Flack

Feb 16, 2018, 8:41:29 AM2/16/18
to ADF Enterprise Methodology Group
I permitted this post with some concern about where the poster wants to go with this thread - it is a statement with no question or prompt for discussion.  And it contains a link to some training, which is normally against our policy.  Still, a discussion of the ADF and JSF event model would be within the mission of this group.  Hope you all rise to the challenge with some good discussion.

John Flack
ADF EMD Lead Moderator

-----

Abid Hussain

May 15, 2018, 11:28:20 AM5/15/18
to ADF Enterprise Methodology Group
Dear All,
I am little new in ADF as a architect point of view. My new assignment is to convert a Oracle Form Application into Oracle ADF. Management committed to get ride of PL/SQL.
there are more then 500+ Package+Function+Procedures.
I want to convert PL/SQL portion into java class.
I am stuck to decide which plan to be used. Either convert PLSQL into Java EJB's instead of ADF BC or should use some other ORM framework like Hibernate of SpringBoot etc.
ADF is rich in GUI components so front will be made in Oracle ADF 12c version.

So Please guide me right path.

Abid

Florin Marcus

May 15, 2018, 12:34:15 PM5/15/18
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
If you want to stick to Oracle DB, getting rid of  PL/SQL is nonsense: that's the only part of the code which can be reused between Oracle Forms and ADF.
I've been on this road 4-5 times in the last 10 years, migrating large Oracle Forms systems to ADF while keeping Oracle database and the successful recipe it was always:

- Keep your business in PL SQL as much as possible. Keep ADF layer as light as possible if it comes to business rules.
- Use ADF with Business Components - EJB integration are virtually not tested, you will lose at least half of your productivity going EJB way.
- If you have Java Dev that used JSF before - they will more likely ruin your project: they will code logic in backing beans, underusing the BC Layer. Java Web Developers needs a mind shift when it comes to working with ADF.

Florin

You received this message because you are subscribed to the ADF Enterprise Methodology Group (http://groups.google.com/group/adf-methodology). To unsubscribe send email to adf-methodology+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com

All content to the ADF EMG lies under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/). Any content sourced must be attributed back to the ADF EMG with a link to the Google Group (http://groups.google.com/group/adf-methodology).

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ADF Enterprise Methodology Group" group.

Luc Bors

May 15, 2018, 1:19:36 PM5/15/18
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
+1

You received this message because you are subscribed to the ADF Enterprise Methodology Group (http://groups.google.com/group/adf-methodology). To unsubscribe send email to adf-methodolo...@googlegroups.com

[...]

Jeba Jothimoni

May 17, 2018, 10:25:58 AM5/17/18
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com

Hi Abid,

When we had a chance to re-architect our applications, this is what we did and its working very well for us.

EJB/Hibernate for the Business tier to keep all business logics. There are still some PL/SQL procedures in the Oracle DB which are accessed through EJB. We created a RESTful Web service layer in the middle to expose the EJB business logic. ADF Faces on the presentation tier which can access the business tier through Restful Web service client. I agree, not to put any business logic on to the backing bean. We had hard time decoupling that.

We want to utilize the Micro services architecture where all our micro services are in the EJB tier and are exposed through Restful WS (API). We do have MAF mobile app which calls the same Restful API to perform the logic. So, it’s kind of one business tier accessible from different presentation tiers (web or mobile). Not only that, now-a-days the lifetime of a presentation tier seems like 2 to 3 years, so even if you want to move away from ADF Faces to something else in the future, then it’s a matter of updating your presentation tier code. By the way, I haven’t found any alternate for ADF Faces so far which can as robust, secure and feature-rich like ADF faces. But keeping the options open.

We didn’t want to lock into ADF BC for various reasons and our business logic is so unique that we had to write the full logic by ourselves rather than just rely on application module, view layers of BC. Also, it’s easier to train or find talent of EJB or hibernate than ADF BC.

Hope this help!

Thanks,

Jeba Jothimoni,

Oracle Certified Master Enterprise Architect, PMP®, PMI-ACP®

Senior Solutions Architect, Aires

Tel +1.412.788.0461 • Direct +1.412.677.1693

website • email • connect on LinkedIn

K T Prasad

May 17, 2018, 10:25:58 AM5/17/18
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
I believe the best way is to use ADF BC.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the ADF Enterprise Methodology Group (http://groups.google.com/group/adf-methodology). To unsubscribe send email to adf-methodology+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com

All content to the ADF EMG lies under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/). Any content sourced must be attributed back to the ADF EMG with a link to the Google Group (http://groups.google.com/group/adf-methodology).

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ADF Enterprise Methodology Group" group.

Regards,
Prasad K T,
+91-90879-33330

Abid Hussain

May 17, 2018, 10:25:58 AM5/17/18
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for you reply.

So what you suggest, What methodology to be used to make an Application under ADF and Database independent.
Please suggest.

Abid

On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 10:19 PM, Luc Bors <luc...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

John Flack

May 17, 2018, 11:05:48 AM5/17/18
to ADF Enterprise Methodology Group
Database independence is over-rated.  First, how often do people really change databases?  Not very often, because too much of your current data is dependent on your current database.  You might use a different database for a new application, but rarely for an old one, unless you are going to do a COMPLETE re-write.  Second, database independence means that you can't use any of the non-generic features of your database.  For instance, if your database is Oracle, you couldn't use its Object-Relational features, or its scheduler.  If your database is Microsoft SQL Server, you can't use its ability to build functions or base datatypes on .Net  (like those written in C#).  To my way of thinking, there is only ONE reason to write applications that way: you are building an application to be sold as COTS software.  Then you need to be able to run on whatever database the customer wants.

Still - I've seen situations where management insists on "Database Independence" against all arguments and reasoning to the contrary. If that is your situation, you have my sympathy.  I have seen some vendors who say that they can convert your PL/SQL, but no proof that it works or that it is cost-effective.  I suspect that you are going to have to go through your PL/SQL module by module, figure out what it does, then add that to the requirements for your to-be application.  I would advise against trying to translate the code to another language (Java) line by line.  No - duplicate functionality, NOT implementation.

Abhijeet pratap singh

May 17, 2018, 11:26:55 AM5/17/18
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
First Step:if u have old oracle forms down load and start to analyse step by step block level and form level
Find all record group and lovs and block query.
Step 2: find out existing dB function and procedure and reuse by calling java method in am impl then export that method in UI.
And if required create yr own dB function for implementing any business logic.
You can also create view in worst case if any performance issue comes.
Step 3 : Design Model layer in adf after analysing above things.
My Current assignment also like that and I have delivered many modules successfully with this approach

+1

[...]

Abid Hussain

May 18, 2018, 9:21:52 AM5/18/18
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Abhijeet,
I have the situation in which management insisting to be Database independent application. I have PLSQL based experienced team, which is running the existing system. I don't want to convert any PLSQL block into Java by some third party utility.
We are ready to re-write code.
The problem is, which framework(EJB, Hibernate, or ADF BC etc) can serve better as a ORM in replacement of PLSQL.

Please Suggest.

+1

[...]

John Flack

May 18, 2018, 9:37:47 AM5/18/18
to ADF Enterprise Methodology Group
REQUIREMENTS FIRST.  Technical decisions like choice of framework SECOND.  Each of your existing PL/SQL modules represents some requirements that need to be discovered and documented.  If some of them are simply Table API's then any framework you named can probably do the same.  If there is more complicated business logic, it may push you in one direction more than another.  Particularly important - how anti-Oracle is your management?  ADF BC will push you to run on Oracle WebLogic Server - and I suspect that often "Database independent" is a code-word for "Not Oracle".

vik.ceo

May 18, 2018, 9:45:22 AM5/18/18
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
That's exactly i mentioned to Abid on linkedin thread.  Just replacing tech A to tech B is not the right path.  Go at functional level and outline what is the functional purpose of each of those modules.

Vik

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

May 18, 2018, 9:53:32 AM5/18/18
to ADF Enterprise Methodology Group
Hi Abid,

I have done this before (we had to run on multiple databases for multiple clients) and from experience I like EJB, restful web services, memcache, docker type environment etc.
But with a team experienced in PL\SQL ADF BC would be much simpler but not database independent.

Another thing we have used in the distant past was SOA Suite, BPM not quite the technology de jour(damn I am old).

Just note ADF faces component are a little more tricky when it comes to using a micro service architecture. Last piece of advice is hire an expert  and good luck.

Thank you,
Donovan
+1

[...]

Abhijeet pratap singh

May 25, 2018, 7:21:11 AM5/25/18
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Hi Abid,

It depends what it's a standalone system or some other system is also integrated with this system and it also depends on product investment plan.
But still, you can go ahead with ADF BC approach and For integration perspective, SOA is the best option.

Don't convert all PL/SQL code into java as much as possible instead reuse existing PL/SQL code by consuming from IMPl methods.
And Don't copy existing design of oracle forms for redeveloping into ADF instead of creating your own design as per ADF Design guidelines.

Regards
Abhijeet

On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 8:16 AM, Abid Hussain <oras...@gmail.com> wrote:
Boxbe This message is eligible for Automatic Cleanup! (oras...@gmail.com) Add cleanup rule | More info

Thanks Abhijeet,
I have the situation in which management insisting to be Database independent application. I have PLSQL based experienced team, which is running the existing system. I don't want to convert any PLSQL block into Java by some third party utility.
We are ready to re-write code.
The problem is, which framework(EJB, Hibernate, or ADF BC etc) can serve better as a ORM in replacement of PLSQL.

Please Suggest.

+1