What are your thoughts about page layouts with JSF/ADF Faces

Maiko Rocha

Jul 8, 2010, 12:28:22 PM7/8/10
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

George Maggessy and I will be presenting one more time an ODev session on how to create good looking applications with JSF/ADF Faces. Some of the topics that we should be covering:

* HTML-first design vs JDeveloper-first design. This is actually a major clash more for WebCenter/Portal-like app customers.
* Layout Basics (yet again, again): we find that there's a huge gap in terms of how developers perceive the use of the Layout Managers.
* Re-purposing existing components by (1) doing clever skinning and/or (2) using declarative components
* Integrating with 3rd party Javascript frameworks, namely JQuery, and avoiding AJAX and JSF Lifecycle issues
* What lies ahead: HTML5, CSS3, JSF2, Facelets, and;
* _maybe_ a sneak peak on whatever is available in the latest internal builds. :-)

Based on that, what are your pain points, pet peeves, or any suggestion in terms of what you'd like us to cover or focus in this presentation? You can reply directly to me if you don't want to swamp the list or inadvertently start a discussion thread. :-)

[]s!
Maiko

Chris Muir

Jul 10, 2010, 6:25:19 PM7/10/10
to ADF Enterprise Methodology Group
It must be a perfect topic list, nobody else has chimed in! ;-)
Except for....

I think, as you'll be seeing continuous stream of new ADF developers
over the next few years, presenting on the layout basics will always
be useful. It might not be the most interesting thing to do "yet
again, again" but it'll be necessary.

From our point of view, given we've adopted the UI Shell, it'd be nice
to see a few techniques and explanations on how to layout applications
within the Shell. Presumably there's a few different layout styles
that could be used.

Regards,

CM.

Michael Koniotiakis

Jul 11, 2010, 2:39:50 AM7/11/10
to ADF Enterprise Methodology Group
Hello
I have heard that a new layout design tool is beeing developed by
jdeveloper team.
Anybody have information about that?
Thanks

agawish

Jul 11, 2010, 2:48:06 AM7/11/10
to ADF Enterprise Methodology Group
Well, I think I'll just drop some thoughts I faced while developing
ADF Layouts:

1- Panel Group Rocks, it always comes in handy when trying to make a
footer, header and a body, with some CSS enhancements it could form
the main layout structure for my ADF Applications

2- ADF Skins (You have to check every selector for the components you
use in your layout specifically tables and menu)

3- Using nested CSS with ADF Skins works, so just give a Panel Group
an ID and put your desired ADF component, and you can change the look
for this specific context component without effecting the general
component look and feel (handy in menus and tables)

4- You don't have any Vertical Menu Bars, so you else use the Panel
Accordion or change the layout (Vertical Menus are old fashion, but
some clients still insists of using them)

That's what is on my mind now, I'll add more when I remember...

Amr Gawish

Maiko

Jul 11, 2010, 4:27:51 AM7/11/10
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com, ADF Enterprise Methodology Group
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the input. Regarding your second point I guess Richard
Wright's presentation on the extended Fusion Apps Functional Patterns
will cover the cases where UI Shell and other fusion UX items are
used. I'll briefly mention them but I'd like to focus more on use
cases that are completely different from our out of the box look and
feel and UX.

Anyway, keep sending your sugestions! :-)

[]sl
Maiko