address sanitizer performance slowdown

xfan

May 28, 2019, 10:29:23 AM5/28/19
to address-sanitizer
We upgrade gcc from 4.8.5 to 8.3 recently and found address sanitizer performance becomes worse.
On gcc 4.8.5, performance slowdown is 4 times, and on gcc 8.3, performance slowdown is 6.3 times.  OS: Red hat Linux.
Any idea?
Thanks,
Xingyan

Alexander Potapenko

May 28, 2019, 11:23:21 AM5/28/19
to address-...@googlegroups.com
A lot of things have changed since 2015.
For example, new ASan features could've been introduced that increase
the slowdown.
Maybe some previously disabled features got enabled by default. Maybe
there were changes to the runtime (e.g. the allocator), or a newly
added interceptor increased the number of checks on your hot path.
If you can reduce your program to a small testcase that demonstrates
the same slowdown that could help to understand what is going on.