Enabling Address Sanitizer in AudioFlinger

varsha vanga

Feb 9, 2021, 1:05:51 AM2/9/21
to address-sanitizer

Hi,
I am trying to use the address sanitizer tool in Android AOSP -(Android 10.)
I am trying to check the possible memory leaks in AudioFlinger.

I have added the foll. code in Android.bp file (frameworks/av/services/audioflinger/Android.bp) to enable ASAN:

cflags: [
+        "-Wno-error",
+         "-fno-omit-frame-pointer",
+         "-O0",
+         "-Wno-frame-larger-than=",
+         "-fvisibility=hidden",
+         "-Wall",
+         "-Werror",
+          "-Wno-error=unused-function",
+         "-fsanitize-recover=address"

    ],
    clang: true,
    sanitize: {
        address: true,
    },

I have inserted the intentional memory leak in the code so as to check the ASAN detection. built the code using "mm" and pushed it to the device.
But I do not get any issue reported/crash from ASAN. Seems that I need to enable ASAN in some other part of AOSP.
Can anyone help me with this. Hoping for the reply.

Regards,
Varsha

Evgenii Stepanov

Feb 9, 2021, 2:50:59 PM2/9/21
to address-sanitizer, Vy Nguyen
Hi,

* ASan in Android 10 (or even Android 11) does not support leak detection. The current AOSP master branch might.
* Leak detection is done when a program exits, which audioflinger never does. There is an API to force a leak check at runtime.

Vy Nguyen

Feb 9, 2021, 3:52:02 PM2/9/21
to Evgenii Stepanov, varsh...@gmail.com, address-sanitizer
[resend due to "Mail Delivery Subsystem " issue]

Hi,

Yeah, Evegenii has mentioned, only AOSP master branch has support for LSAN+ASAN. (If you want quick and dirty you could probably just build the libc.so from master and push it to your current Android 10 image ... it probably works)
Equally important, you also need a fairly recent toolchain to compile with LSAN+ASAN enabled for your android app (I dont know off the top of my head which NDK  version is good, but anything before December 2020 will definitely not work). Again, quick and dirty trick could be to check out the latest toolchain, build it and, push the libclang_rt*.so to device.
(Eg., adb push $ANDROID_TC/out/install/linux-x86/clang-dev/lib64/clang/$CLANG_VERSION/lib/linux/libclang_rt.asan-aarch64-android.so /system/lib64/libclang_rt.asan-aarch64-android.so)

Assuming the two conditions above are met, _lsan_do_leak_check(void) can be called to force a leak-check

Hope this helps,
Vy